departure flight time

babywewe

I'm traveling with Holland America on a 10 day med cruise. Departure port is Rome. What should my departure flight time be? The earliest?

While some on these boards might recommend what worked out well for them..your best definitive info/suggestion/guidelines on this should be asked of your cruiseline...:)

Civitavecchia (your port of debarkation) is about 45 minutes from FCO (your airport.) The trip is through the port and city on city streets then onto a motorway with limited access.

You should be at the check in line at FCO about 3 hours before your flight. If you have status with your airline or have first class/business class tickets you can shave about 1/2 hour off the check in time.

Security is part of the wait time and it has been known to be slow and thorough...Italian...

If you plan on taking the ship's shuttle you will have a slower trip. There are plenty of recommendations for drivers on the Ports of Call boards.

You don't mention what time your ship docks but you need to factor in the length of time it will take you to disembark.

I too would be comfortable with a noon departure using a limo service.

If you have not joined the Roll Call for your sailing please do so. There might be others wishing to share a ride to FCO which will help with the cost. A majority of the limo services have Mercedes-type 14 seater vans at their disposal.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We disembark at 7am, so the HOA itinerary says.

Where can I find the recommended flight departure times?

It is really a sin that certain cruise lines do not post guidelines on this very important question on their website. Perhaps the best example of what they should do is given by Royal Caribbean. Using the Mariner of the Seas as an example, they suggest 11 AM. However, this cruise arrives at the departure port at 5 am.

Some people are less tolerant of the stress that comes from booking flights early and then worrying about what happens if the ship is late into port, traffic is heavy, security is slow etc. Others find low priced flights that are almost impossible to make and fixate on the price, and then have to jump through hoops when they miss the flight. You're on vacation, book later; not so tight you feel stressed.

I think it says your ship arrives at 7:00 a.m. After the ship arrives, everyone must clear customs and immigration before you will be allowed to leave.

Then, you must get your luggage and make your way to FCO. This can take 45 minutes or longer, depending on the traffic. If you are bound for the US, you'll have to go through security, passport check and check-in at Terminal 5. Note that check in for international flights is supposed to be done three hours before your flight departure.

After that, you board a shuttle bus that will take you to your departing gate. T5 can be very, very crowded with long lines, especially in the summer. Most flights leaving for the US are gone by noon.

I would probably book a morning flight for the next day.

You will need to contact the cruise line directly to see what they recommend.

Keep in mind that in the end you have to live with the decision you make. I have a fair amount of experience flying from this port. If this was me I would not book a flight anytime before noon.

Keith

Archived