Advantage of using a PCC on HAL

pizzadog

To be blunt, booking through Holland is a good way to waste money and time.

I did this once, however, they provided no other advantage or service beyong accepting my money.

I since have found booking through agents has gotten me the same cabins on the cruises I wanted, thousands of bonus frequent flyer miles and fares as much as 10% to25% below the lowest price.:D

When asked about any on board cruise benifit, they replied," we dont offer any...if you want on bord credits, etc, agents do that...not us"

I may catch on slow, but I catch on good.

We are thinking of going this route as we were not happy with the last time we used our TA. What are the advantages, if any, of using a Personal Cruise Consultant? Thanks.:)

My suggestion is then go find a new TA. Hal PCC are really nice but they really can give you the discounts you can get with outside TA's.

I booked our upcoming cruise with a HAL PCC for the first time. She was quite nice and I enjoyed chatting with her and she seemed to be much more knowledgeable than the regular HAL reservations people.

I will be switching our booking over to an online TA though when we get closer to the sailing date. Until then I prefer to be able to speak to HAL directly about price reductions and special offers that come along. In the long run though I just can't pass up the OBC that the online TA is offering.

We are thinking of going this route as we were not happy with the last time we used our TA. What are the advantages, if any, of using a Personal Cruise Consultant? Thanks.:)

If you book on board with the PCC, $100 per person deposit gets you on board credit on that cruise. (this amount depends on the cabin & length of the cruise) You can cancell or change the cruise & that deposit is good for 4 years.

After you book on board you can then transfer your booking to a TA & receive any of their perks.

We now do this all the time, has worked great for us.

Hope this helps!

What is referred to on cruise critic as the "upgrade fairy" visits alot more often with better upgrades when you use a PCC.

You MAY be correct, but I have yet to see any evidence. On our cruise next January, we saved 11% on the fare and picked up a $100 credit. Booked using on-board booking number without any difficulty.

If the savings were just a few percent, I might be inclined to book direct. 11% amounts to real money so far as I'm concerned.

If you book on board with the PCC,

You book on board with an FCC (Future Cruise Consultant), not a PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant).

There's a difference.

I know, I know. All this alphabet soup is hard to keep track of sometimes.

What is referred to on cruise critic as the "upgrade fairy" visits alot more often with better upgrades when you use a PCC.

I think so also, another thing is when there is a upsell I rather have the info sent to me direct not via a travel agent since time can be critical there.

We have really enjoyed and at times benefited by having our own Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) at Holland America. We like the personalized service and dealing with one individual who knows the ropes. When there have been special request from us she has dealt with them professionally and if the final decision requires a supervisor she does it on the phone.

Glad we went this route and we plan on using our PCC with future bookings.

I have always booked through HAL and will continue.

We had a problem with a flight being cancelled on route to the departing port. Because we booked through HAL they took care of everything and got us to the ship before it sailed. We would had missed the ship. After this I really don't care about the savings, I almost had my entire cruise ruined.

I have also developed a relationship with the PCC, and use her each time, since our first HAL cruise.

Honestly, go with whomever you get the best price/deal from and be content with the $ spent. We've used TAs & PCCs for both, content with both.

Our major vacation this year was booked via a PCC. Why? I contacted HAL last year right after the Westy set sail to see if it was going to be repeated next (which is now this) year, she said that as soon as she knew she'd let me know. She kept in touch via telephone calls and emails to confirm our continued interest, and notified us approx 90 days prior to the cruise showing up on the site that the Westy would be repeating the cruise.

She was prompt, professional and personable. She actually has proven to be the most conscientious and knowledgeable travel professional we've worked with anywhere. Any other sailings on HAL will be booked through her.

She also has the GREATEST accent. Imagine Dracula's daughter just talking to you about how great something is and she's an inch from your ear! Oh yeah, you'd give up the carotid artery too! :D

Derek

Archived