New Port Everglades Champ

bozemanman

...but count me in among the folks who loves hearing the whistles.

When I was a little boy growing up at Sault Ste Marie, Michigan - my parents would take me to the Soo Locks where we'd picnic while watching the ships going up and down - if it was nice outside we'd stand out there and wave at the ships and sometimes the Captain would sound his whistle for me. :D

Heck - I go all giddy just hearing the "Ship Whistle" signaling the start of the luggage conveyers at FLL Airport!

:p

Me too! When we lived on L.I., we had to stop talking on the phone because we were right in the flight path of one of the JFK runway's...We felt that we could reach up & sometimes touch the underbelly of those landing aircraft..Now that's noise! Some days it was 12-14 hrs a day..:eek:That never bothered us at all, since we both worked at JFK for several years..

As a little girl, I spent a few summers with a Great Aunt & Uncle on the St. Lawrence River...The whole town looked forward to the train whistle, which probably blew for 10 minutes every day..

Now we live on an active Boat Basin, where right this minute, we have 10 boats anchored behind our home..On weekends or when a front comes thru it's 12 - 15 boats..When it's party time/happy hour on these boats, they sound their boat horns..We look forward to that, as it's the signal for us to stop working & have our happy hour..

I'm sure that those living on the port inlet expect an hour or two of ships horns every day..They also live very close to the Airport & I'm sure they have more noise than the ship horns.. It's not like the ships blow their horns 24 hrs a day...

As mentioned before, if they did not like it , they could either move or file a complaint with the Port Authority, City of Ft. Lauderdale, or the Coast Guard..Since both the Port & the Airport were there prior to the condo's being built, IMO they would not have a leg to stand on..:rolleyes:

Cheers....:)Betty

Wow the 2 cams are like night and day. Port cam crazy cloudy. Lauderdale cam is still nice lol

I missed the first ship -- i'm working from home today so i threw it on on my desktop and i can listen at least :-) can't view on my work laptop.

Still sick but much better than monday and part of yesterday!

Netherlands, meet New Zealand. :D

oh wow I didn't realize :)

that would be it a good start to the day!

For me it is the good end to the day. ;)

Carnival Pride is way too late for me, she's scheduled for 19.00?

Wow check out the weather. They definately got rain there.

oh wow I didn't realize :)

that would be it a good start to the day!

For me it is the good end to the day. ;)

Carnival Pride is way too late for me, she's scheduled for 19.00?

Wow check out the weather. They definately got rain there.

I somehow dont see canival pride on the port everglades list.

Tomorrow 2 HAL ships leave at 5pm but i'll be up in the office. :(

Statendam and Zuiderdam.

Oh i had opened port canavaral lol. Explains the sunny thing lol. Weird the lauderdale cam is on traffic lol

:D yeah that does it explain it. I was peering at both cam's, thinking it sure does look rainy on both sides to me!

The cam does focus on that bridge frequently. When we were in Fort Lauderdale couple of weeks ago, we would walk from the hotel to that middel part of the bridge. Wonderfull walk.

I somehow dont see canival pride on the port everglades list.

Tomorrow 2 HAL ships leave at 5pm but i'll be up in the office. :(

Statendam and Zuiderdam.

I am also looking on Facebook, on the Port everglades Webcam page.

A message posted there says:

CARNIVAL PRIDE | 19:00

I am also looking on Facebook, on the Port everglades Webcam page.

A message posted there says:

CARNIVAL PRIDE | 19:00

Hmm wonder why i didn't see it on the port list on their site. maybe they missed it lol.

Though i checked the map under the cam and it's not there either at port everglades. Is it somewhere else?

No other cruise ships departing port everglades according to their site today.

Oh and unrelated - I'll be in Amsterdam in October 2012 :-) Leaving on a cruise from there on 10/12. Might have to pick your brain for a good place to stay. My heart wants to stay at the moevenpick at the port cuz i'd see the ship there LOL but i probably should stay closer to Central i guess according to some others who say the tram stops "early"

Archived