New Port Everglades Champ

bozemanman

Hmm wonder why i didn't see it on the port list on their site. maybe they missed it lol.

Though i checked the map under the cam and it's not there either at port everglades. Is it somewhere else?

No other cruise ships departing port everglades according to their site today.

aaahhhhhh.....I fell into the Port Canaveral trap! She's leaving from there. :D

Ok I guess that ends it for today, almost midnight....time to sleep :rolleyes:

Oh and unrelated - I'll be in Amsterdam in October 2012 :-) Leaving on a cruise from there on 10/12. Might have to pick your brain for a good place to stay. My heart wants to stay at the moevenpick at the port cuz i'd see the ship there LOL but i probably should stay closer to Central i guess according to some others who say the tram stops "early"

Oh that's great! September and October are usually our best months, together with May and June. (though last year was sort of a strange year weatherwise).

There are lot's of good places to stay. :D

...but count me in among the folks who loves hearing the whistles.

When I was a little boy growing up at Sault Ste Marie, Michigan - my parents would take me to the Soo Locks where we'd picnic while watching the ships going up and down - if it was nice outside we'd stand out there and wave at the ships and sometimes the Captain would sound his whistle for me. :D

Heck - I go all giddy just hearing the "Ship Whistle" signaling the start of the luggage conveyers at FLL Airport!

:p

To me, the ships whistles of today are alittle cheezy. My first introduction of ships whistles came from the CPR ships on Puget Sound. They were steam whistles and the sound reverberated off the skyline of Seattle and Victoria will always be remembered.

My vote is still for the traditional three long blasts of the ships whistle.

Sorry people but the Emerald Princess just left port and she KILLED the Westerdam last week performance! Great tooting on her part. HAL is going to have to work on it to not lose the title.:o

Anyone else watch it?

I was watching too! Missed today, but you guys have me hooked, glad it's low calorie :rolleyes:

Sometimes I check in just to see what Pilotino (pilotno4) is up to... I grew up at the beach and around boats so it makes me smile :D

I counted 8 toots...pretty good. Won't be able to compare it to the Westerdam this weekend. Oh darn...lol!

I watch today too bozemanman, and agree with the 8 toots. You can read the thread for Sunday even though you won't be here to find out how well the Westerdam does. :D

We sailed with Captain Henk Keijer on 3/18/12, which was his last as captain of the Westerdam. He made mention of CC during the end of the muster drill (oh, geez, some nurse type person will be blasting me now for not referring to it as the 'passenger safety drill' ;)) and said he knew of his reputation on this board and planned to make his final departure from Ft Lauderdale one to remember. Lisa (LAFFNVEGAS) presented him with a plaque made by Pathfinderess during our Meet & Greet and bid him a fond farewell.

So, Westerdam has a new 'quieter' captain now.

Here's the picture for everyone to see the man behind the horn and Lisa (LAFFNVEGAS). I'm sorry I don't know who the other women are.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227268&d=1332957568

It's funny but on the ship I could barely hear the horn. It's much, much louder when you are away from the ship. I was trying to get an approximate count during our sailaway and I gave up- too much distraction and other sounds.

I totally agree, in all honesty we were actually kind of dissappointed because we could barely hear the grand tooting performance.

It reads

Congratulations

Westerdam

Your friends at Cruise Critics

have chosen you to be the

Super Bowl winner of the

Horn Blowing

contest at Port Everglades

Thank you for posting this award to the Westerdam.

Great idea:D.

Archived