New Port Everglades Champ

bozemanman

Sorry people but the Emerald Princess just left port and she KILLED the Westerdam last week performance! Great tooting on her part. HAL is going to have to work on it to not lose the title.:o

Anyone else watch it?

Sorry people but the Emerald Princess just left port and she KILLED the Westerdam last week performance! Great tooting on her part. HAL is going to have to work on it to not lose the title.:o

Anyone else watch it?

I did! :-) I posted on the facebook page since there wasn't a thread here since it was only 2 princess sailaways today lol.

She did some nice tooting.

I missed the Westerdam this week. So, was PJ silent? :(

Truthfully,,,,,,,,

I hope I'm not aboard when a ship goes so crazy with the horn.

While it's fun on our computers watching sailaways, I don't want to listen to that much 'honking' when we're sailling away aboard. I'm sure I'm the only one but I enjoy the 'normal and usual' but don't want a blasting headache from 20 minutes of it. :o

Anyone else think there's such a thing as too much noise the poor condo residents have to contend with on some of those sailaways?

It's funny but on the ship I could barely hear the horn. It's much, much louder when you are away from the ship. I was trying to get an approximate count during our sailaway and I gave up- too much distraction and other sounds.

Anyone else think there's such a thing as too much noise the poor condo residents have to contend with on some of those sailaways?

It is fun, but I agree with you!!!!

A little is great, but a lot could be a real nuisance…

Quick question: Are the ships required to blow the horn, or is it just tradition?

I seem to remember hearing once that it was sone in tribute to the Senior Captain in port.

Truthfully,,,,,,,,

While it's fun on our computers watching sailaways, I don't want to listen to that much 'honking' when we're sailling away aboard. I'm sure I'm the only one but I enjoy the 'normal and usual' but don't want a blasting headache from 20 minutes of it. :o

NO WAY!!! If they did not want the horns being blasted they would not be out there cheering and begging for more.

I for one LOVE it and hope it gets even better:)

Joanie

Anyone else watch it?

Yes, we watched, the Emerald Princess is sending a challenge to the Westerdam.:)

Poor condo owners???...you mean the ones with the air horns and bells ringing back at the ship to get them to toot more?

Why would you buy a condo there if you weren't expecting it?

That would be my question too..

The port & the horn blowing has been going on for years..

Check out this Horn Battle from 2007..

If the Condo owners were so unhappy they should not have purchased the condo's on the Port inlet...They can also log a noise complaint with the Port Authority, the City of Ft. Lauderdale, The Cruise Line & the Coast Guard..I'm sure the Capt.'s of the ships would then try to diminish it..

Believe me the Condo dwellers love it! And so do I!.. They have their Families & Friends out on their patio's waving & sending a Bon' Voyage to all Ships Crew & Psgrs..!

Cheers....:)Betty

Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud but I prefer the traditional three long blasts and thats it. To me it sounds like a juvinille is running the horn when they give endless horn toots.

A bit of history on this subject. The first time the Westerdam II left Ft Lauderdale they had a new captain who was not aware of the horn blast tradition. He left silently and was lambasted in the Ft. Lauderdale papers. Possibly that shame carrys over to todays excess.

A bit of history on this subject. The first time the Westerdam II left Ft Lauderdale they had a new captain who was not aware of the horn blast tradition. He left silently and was lambasted in the Ft. Lauderdale papers. Possibly that shame carrys over to todays excess.

...AND...that is precisely why any condo owner should expect (and welcome) whatever amount of noise comes out of a cruise ship's horn.

Truthfully,,,,,,,,

I'm with you and Kevin...I think a little goes a long way. It is fun to watch it from the computer...yet I wouldn't want to hear that much noise if we had a condo on the inlet....nor when we're on the ship for sailaway.

Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud but I prefer the traditional three long blasts and thats it. To me it sounds like a juvinille is running the horn when they give endless horn toots.

I agree....three long blasts is traditional...and is what everyone expects.

NO WAY!!! If they did not want the horns being blasted they would not be out there cheering and begging for more.

I for one LOVE it and hope it gets even better:)

Joanie

The "THEY" we're referring to here are a handful. Out of those tall buildings with hundreds and hundreds of apartments, on any given sailaway, the most people we've seen on balconies could be on maybe 20 balconies and that is stretching it. We're not talking about hundreds of people who are out there with air horns and flags.... I've never seen more than 20 or so balconies with people waving.

We've sailed out of Port Everglades a very large number of times.

I'm going to make a point of getting a good guesstimate of how many balconies have people waving on our upcoming Maasdam cruise.

PJ did 4 or 5 little toots, I definitely think the Emerald did a much nicer job!

...and no, if you're wondering, no addition here!:o...lol

You must be kidding Bozemanman the Westerdam had 5 toots before getting to the webcam and then she had 17 more. So she sits with a total of 22. How many did the Emerald do?

I would much rather listen to as many horns as possible when on a ship than in front of my computer. It would mean that I was just starting another fabulous cruise. What a way to start a cruise.:D

The "THEY" we're referring to here are a handful. Out of those tall buildings with hundreds and hundreds of apartments, on any given sailaway, the most people we've seen on balconies could be on maybe 20 balconies and that is stretching it. We're not talking about hundreds of people who are out there with air horns and flags.... I've never seen more than 20 or so balconies with people waving.

I'm going to make a point of getting a good guesstimate of how many balconies have people waving on our upcoming Maasdam cruise.

You're right, Sail. We've sailed from Port Everglades less than a dozen times, but each time, there have been only a handful of balconies with people waving flags or blowing horns. It's not a huge number.

You must be kidding Bozemanman the Westerdam had 5 toots before getting to the webcam and then she had 17 more. So she sits with a total of 22. How many did the Emerald do?

I believe the emerald did 4 or 5 long ones. If westerdam had 22 on sunday, then she'd win. I unfortunately was out on sunday and missed it, but i didn't miss her record breaking 167 the week before :-)

Truthfully,,,,,,,,

I'm with you! After 5 I think I would be off my balcony and into my cabin. While I love that sound and the excitement of a journey beginning I think it would be ruined for me if it went on too long. I can't even imagine listening to a horn blasting 167 times!! :eek:

I believe the emerald did 4 or 5 long ones. If westerdam had 22 on sunday, then she'd win. I unfortunately was out on sunday and missed it, but i didn't miss her record breaking 167 the week before :-)

Really...can you imagine having to tolerate 167 blasts from the peace and quiet of your condo on the Inlet? Surely those of us at home watching/listening on our compters...and those of us excited for our own sailaways enjoy it...but I'm thinking how do the folks who live on the Inlet enjoy all the noise? Probably not so much for the most part.

We love to walk that neighborhood of pricey houses that abut Port Everglades. We stay at Hyatt Pier 66 and most stays, we cross the highway at the foot of the bridge and love to do our exercise walks around those lovely streets. I'm sure these folks are fine with the sailaways that most ships toot their horn 2 - 4 times and are on their way. But this new wave of unending tooting ??? I doubt they are enjoying it. We've met a number of these folks through the years who are always friendly and neighborly and a number have invited us to their back yards to sit on their sea walls to admire the ships. These are very fine, nice people.

I think this encouragement for out of control noise polution is unwelcome to people who live there. It's inconsiderate, annoying, invasive and I hope it's only a brief phase. I feel for the young Mom who is trying to have her baby nap, the ill person who is trying to get some rest......

I know this is unpopular but it is not the first and probably not the last time I expressed an opinion contrary to the majority.

Oh well, clearly it bothers me a bit or I wouldn't bother to comment.

I try to be considerate when it comes to bothering people trying to live comfortably and without disturbance in their own homes.

All I can say is...I'm sure those condos are in high demand as far as Florida real estate is concerned, if I didn't like the horns - I would move to another on the water condo ...or better yet buy one elsewhere in the first place.

As far as how many like/dislike...really how are you ever going to know...???? Surely not by counting people waving on a balcony.

Archived