New Port Everglades Champ

bozemanman

You must be kidding Bozemanman the Westerdam had 5 toots before getting to the webcam and then she had 17 more. So she sits with a total of 22. How many did the Emerald do?

WOW!...Where was I?....I didn't hear that many...NOT discounting you...I just didn't hear that.:o

I think the Emerald did 7 or 8 long (very tasteful toots) but really the first indication, to me, of any REAL competition...and THANK YOU for bringing us back on topic!:D

I think the condo owners encourage it. I have seen flashing spotlights coming out of one of the condos and when we go by a couple of condos, the have huge HAL banners with the logo of the HAL line on the banner.

I think the condo owners encourage it. I have seen flashing spotlights coming out of one of the condos and when we go by a couple of condos, the have huge HAL banners with the logo of the HAL line on the banner.

Hey I would live there, a lot of noise doesn't bother me. Why would you move there if you didn't like ships and their horns :eek: I wonder what those places cost?

WOW!...Where was I?....I didn't hear that many...NOT discounting you...I just didn't hear that.:o

I think the Emerald did 7 or 8 long (very tasteful toots) but really the first indication, to me, of any REAL competition...and THANK YOU for bringing us back on topic!:D

I heard the Coral go out but had to go to Costco so missed the Emerald. Is she coming back into port? I'll make sure I stick around and listen to her horn blowing.

Hey I would live there, a lot of noise doesn't bother me. Why would you move there if you didn't like ships and their horns :eek: I wonder what those places cost?

I just looked on Trulia, and it has the listings from $185,000 to $495,000.

So, with the Florida real estate business being what it is, you could probably buy one for $145 to $2,340… :D:D

So, with the Florida real estate business being what it is, you could probably buy one for $145 to $2,340… :D:D

Kevin.....

Are you referring to the condos or the houses in that little neighborhood abutting Port Everglades?

The houses start with a Foreclosure selling for $565,000 and listing as high as $3,500,000 for a house right on "cruise ship row"…

That's the one you want, Sail !!!:)

http://www.trulia.com/property/3041299175-2604-Inlet-Dr-Fort-Lauderdale-FL-33316

Well, aren't they dreamers! Their home is assessed at 1.5 million. Someone over extended themselves!

Yeah I could handled that. Yeah right, that one house they want 3 million for I wouldn't buy if it were free, way to ornate for my liking.

Seriously the condo priced at what 185 to 495, not to bad, I think.:D

We love to walk that neighborhood of pricey houses that abut Port Everglades. We stay at Hyatt Pier 66 and most stays, we cross the highway at the foot of the bridge and love to do our exercise walks around those lovely streets. I'm sure these folks are fine with the sailaways that most ships toot their horn 2 - 4 times and are on their way. But this new wave of unending tooting ??? I doubt they are enjoying it. We've met a number of these folks through the years who are always friendly and neighborly and a number have invited us to their back yards to sit on their sea walls to admire the ships. These are very fine, nice people.

I think this encouragement for out of control noise polution is unwelcome to people who live there. It's inconsiderate, annoying, invasive and I hope it's only a brief phase. I feel for the young Mom who is trying to have her baby nap, the ill person who is trying to get some rest......

I know this is unpopular but it is not the first and probably not the last time I expressed an opinion contrary to the majority.

Oh well, clearly it bothers me a bit or I wouldn't bother to comment.

I try to be considerate when it comes to bothering people trying to live comfortably and without disturbance in their own homes.

I'm sure if there was a movement against the ship horns there would be something in the local newspapers, delegations to the local council or ruling body. But in any case, Sail, I'm sure if they really didn't like the noise of ships' horns they wouldn't have moved into the condos in the first place. When viewing a unit it would be hard to miss the fact that it's adjoining a major port with a lot of cruise ship activity.

Now, getting back to the original topic.... I counted 6 toots from the Westerdam before she hit the webcam, not 5. And she's still champion.:D

I saw/heard it (earphones in this time, my husband is getting a little tired of all these blasts coming from my corner of the room while he is trying to watch tv :D)

......yeah, I confess I was watching yet again, even though there was no thread to go with it and i sort of missed that. I could have known I wasn't the only one watching. :p

I saw/heard it (earphones in this time, my husband is getting a little tired of all these blasts coming from my corner of the room while he is trying to watch tv :D)

......yeah, I confess I was watching yet again, even though there was no thread to go with it and i sort of missed that. I could have known I wasn't the only one watching. :p

Good to know that you were also present at the sail away :D

We sailed with Captain Henk Keijer on 3/18/12, which was his last as captain of the Westerdam. He made mention of CC during the end of the muster drill (oh, geez, some nurse type person will be blasting me now for not referring to it as the 'passenger safety drill' ;)) and said he knew of his reputation on this board and planned to make his final departure from Ft Lauderdale one to remember. Lisa (LAFFNVEGAS) presented him with a plaque made by Pathfinderess during our Meet & Greet and bid him a fond farewell.

So, Westerdam has a new 'quieter' captain now.

These ships leave port at generally the same time each day.

It is not like they are arriving at 5 am and leaning on the horn. :rolleyes:

People who live near our airport must sign a "airport" easement when purchasing a home because of prior lawsuits from people moving in after the airport was there and then suing. :rolleyes:

Same thing applies here, the Port was there first and these folks who buy/rent these units should know that the ships will be sailing and the "noise" is expected at certain times (4 to 5pm).

I do think it's a great tradition! :D

After reading this thread I googled Port Everglades and found this article from Sun Sentinel Nov 28, 1988.

The Holland America luxury vessel`s captain responded by ordering a few blasts from the liner`s deafening horn.

Port Everglades harbor pilots, who guide oil tankers and cruise ships through the port`s short channel every day, call the 24-year-old ritual the ``Condo Salute.``

``It`s a big event,`` said Thurston, a Sky Harbour resident for 17 years. ``It`s a fun thing, absolutely.``

The Condo Salute dates back to 1964, when Sky Harbour East was the first condominium built on the north side of the port`s entrance

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1988-11-28/news/8803090561_1_cruise-ship-port-everglades-ship-arrivals

...but count me in among the folks who loves hearing the whistles.

When I was a little boy growing up at Sault Ste Marie, Michigan - my parents would take me to the Soo Locks where we'd picnic while watching the ships going up and down - if it was nice outside we'd stand out there and wave at the ships and sometimes the Captain would sound his whistle for me. :D

Heck - I go all giddy just hearing the "Ship Whistle" signaling the start of the luggage conveyers at FLL Airport!

:p

...but count me in among the folks who loves hearing the whistles.

When I was a little boy growing up at Sault Ste Marie, Michigan - my parents would take me to the Soo Locks where we'd picnic while watching the ships going up and down - if it was nice outside we'd stand out there and wave at the ships and sometimes the Captain would sound his whistle for me. :D

Heck - I go all giddy just hearing the "Ship Whistle" signaling the start of the luggage conveyers at FLL Airport!

:p

Love "The Soo". Bought two Newfies there. Camped there, too....

Love "The Soo". Bought two Newfies there. Camped there, too....

I didn't think much of it when I was there (it wasn't warm, big and modern like California) but I look back at those years fondly...

...Dad was stationed at the old Kincheloe AFB from 1971 until it closed in 1977 - so we would go into the Soo at least every couple weeks.

Archived