Can we get a table for 2 in MDR for breakfast and lunch

Dena

Do most people use the MDR for meals other than dinner? I have never really thought about it for my upcoming cruise. I just thought buffet is the norm for breakfast and lunch, its propably better now that i know you have to share a tabke in tbe MDR for breakfast and lunch. Is the food different to the buffet?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sorry to disagree with dhstudio but yes you can.

Just ask at the door and they will find you a table for 2.

Do bear in mind though that X stopped serving lunch in the MDR on non-sea days some years ago. They also usually cancel breakfast and lunch once a week and replace it with a buffet.

Sorry to disagree with dhstudio but yes you can.

Just ask at the door and they will find you a table for 2.

Do bear in mind though that X stopped serving lunch in the MDR on non-sea days some years ago. They also usually cancel breakfast and lunch once a week and replace it with a buffet.

Thanks for the correction,glad to hear that! Nothing like going through all usual who,what ,when and where questions at breakfast. We "vant to be alone.";)

Thanks for the correction,glad to hear that! Nothing like going through all usual who,what ,when and where questions at breakfast. We "vant to be alone.";)
Totally agree at breakfast with the who,what,when,add how many cruises. Never had a problem getting a table for two.:)

Do most people use the MDR for meals other than dinner? I have never really thought about it for my upcoming cruise. I just thought buffet is the norm for breakfast and lunch, its propably better now that i know you have to share a tabke in tbe MDR for breakfast and lunch. Is the food different to the buffet?

No most people do not, but some people do enjoy the MDR for breakfast as they do have table service with waiters. As others have said the MFR is not open for lunch on port days. There will also be a gala brunch on one sea day of your cruise and there will be no regular breakfast nor lunch service that day.

Personally, I'm among those that prefer the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I love the wide selection of breakfast and lunch foods available there as well as the much longer hours.

Personally, I'm among those that prefer the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I love the wide selection of breakfast and lunch foods available there as well as the much longer hours.

Thanks :D Yeah i think buffet for day time meal is alright. Btw are specialty restaurants only open for dinnet?

Thanks :D Yeah i think buffet for day time meal is alright. Btw are specialty restaurants only open for dinnet?

On our Equinox cruise the Tuscan Grill was open for lunch but I have no idea of the details (price or menu) nor do I know if it was open every sea day or just once or twice. I just recall hearing it mentioned.

Also, at least once they have a "Champagne Tea" in Muranos. While I've never been to this either I think it might include a menu which could easily make up for lunch.

My personal preference remains the buffet or the grill. The grill menu has been reduced to burgers and hot dogs only but I love the burgers and fries as they're very good and a treat I refrain from in my normal (non-cruise) life. I really enjoy the ethnic items in the buffet (custom pasta dishes, Asian food, Indian curries or Mexican) or enjoy the salad bar there if I'm trying to eat lighter. While self service from the buffet is a bit of a hassle the selection makes it worthwhile to us.

no....both breakfast and lunch in the MDR are done by sitting people at larger tables as they arrive.

Do it all the time on X for B & L. When you go the MDR, just ask for table for 2. Sorry, you are incorrect.

Do it all the time on X for B & L. When you go the MDR, just ask for table for 2. Sorry, you are incorrect.

Thank you for posting this...I'm very glad I continued to read. We would not have even bothered to go to the MDR if that was truly the case.

:-)

We can on Princess, but we have to ask and sometimes wait a few minutes

We were able to get one for breakfast (we normally prefer the buffet restaurant for breakfast and our experience on the one day we ate breakfast in the dining room did nothing to change our opinion:() when we were on Silhouette in February but the tables are so very close together we might as well have been seated at a table for six. There were some tables for two which had much better spacing (especially those on the second level of the dining room) but on the main floor they were almost all uncomfortably close.

Yes. We had a table for 2 for breakfast on Eclipse recently. At first they tried to seat us at another table with people already eating. We had no issue being sat with others, but didn't want to join a table that was already mid meal. Awkward. So they sat us alone. No big deal.

There is deifinitely more variety in the buffet, but there are also some items served in the dining room at breakfast that you will not find at the buffet, such as kippers. When I need my kipper fix (usually two or three times a cruise) I go to the MDR for breakfast.

Thank you for posting this...I'm very glad I continued to read. We would not have even bothered to go to the MDR if that was truly the case.

:-)

The nice thing about it is that once you ask for a table for 2, the next day they normally recognize you and they immediately give you a table for 2. It is not being anti-social or anything like that. It is just that we like to get a table for 2 to do our own thing.

Remember if you don't ask, you don't get. Enjoy your table for 2 and your cruise.

We've often opted for B-fast and/or lunch in the MDR for two. Sometimes there's a short wait, but I don't think we've ever been told no...

we have been told no at both breakfast and lunch. so now we avoid the MDR, especially at breakfast (we're not champion chit-chatters as it is, and definitely not before coffee!! :eek:)

we have been told no at both breakfast and lunch. so now we avoid the MDR, especially at breakfast (we're not champion chit-chatters as it is, and definitely not before coffee!! :eek:)

Really don't understand why you were told no. However, you experienced it. When was that and what ship? Very unusual since the MDR is very open in the morning. Lunch in MDR is open open when not in port.

We have been only told no on Princess for boarding day lunch in MDR. Otherwise, we have also been told to come back at 1:15. Lunch seating ends at 1:30, so I always felt a bit bad about doing this, but we did it anyway since those were the instructions. We tried to order immediately, which was easy since DH had ordered his gluten free food the day before.

While I can understand their reluctance to seat you by yourselves, because it is probably more efficient to fill the dining room in an orderly fashion, first come first served, rather than scatter guests throughout the large room, but I would definitely complain to someone in a supervisory position if I were denied such a basic request. When we first began cruising, the byword seemed to be "no problem" no matter what we asked, even when we might have thought it was some sort of imposition. It seems strange that now, when most every other aspect of cruising has become far less structured or strict, they would say "no" to such a simple request. I mean, they aren't enforcing the dress code, they allow traditional dining guests to show up in the dining room anywhere from twenty or thirty minutes late and still get served, and yet they will tell you that they will not seat you at a table for two at an open seating breakfast or lunch? Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

Archived