Garden Island Sunk

I got an email from Gavin Smith, saying if Royal Caribbean were to be based in Botany, it would be in a temporary marquee or a low cost shed.

What i DO NOT understand is why are all countries around the world funding for large tourism facilities such as cruise terminals, yet Sydney has no interest in doing so even though the Cruise Industry is constantly pumping money into the NSW government

because one is state goverment and one is federal goverment and they do not parting with federal land or shareing it with any one.

What i DO NOT understand is why are all countries around the world funding for large tourism facilities such as cruise terminals, yet Sydney has no interest in doing so even though the Cruise Industry is constantly pumping money into the NSW government

They do? I'm not sure the limited amount of payroll tax they pay, and a few other taxes that all other companies do could be classed as 'pumping money to the NSW government.'

Just a thought, you know one of the options on the report was to move the RAN to the east side of Garden Island, but due to national safety and economic issue, it would not be practical, well why not build a Cruise terminal on the East side of the island, obviously sufficient funding would be needed, however with the numbers the cruise industry brings to Australia, it would eventually pay for itself, would it not?

the only tax will be from the workers at the cruise terminal wages tax and the other tax will the GST that every one pays that leaves the cruise ship and spends in sydney.

Just a thought, you know one of the options on the report was to move the RAN to the east side of Garden Island, but due to national safety and economic issue, it would not be practical, well why not build a Cruise terminal on the East side of the island, obviously sufficient funding would be needed, however with the numbers the cruise industry brings to Australia, it would eventually pay for itself, would it not?

The east side of Garden Island has more sensitive assets that are of security concern and must be sheilded from public view and access.

The west side has nothing sensitve or of a security concern but is more protected in terms of sheilding the ships from attack. The west side is exposed and would leave the navy ships more open to prying eyes and attack.

Although having the navy on the west side will probably be in the interests of residents who would love the peace and quiet.

Agreed, I don't think Port Botany is all that bad, there are 100's of Urban Master Planning and architecture companies who would be happy to design a mix-used facility with a cruise ship terminal in an area of Port Botany which is not used by container ships (probably the south end).

The government should set up a competition, like many other countries have done in the past, then select the best and most realistic choice.

Cos having a cruise terminal in a major tourism destination at the ar*e end of no where is such a great idea......hell we could even move it right down the coast to Jervis Bay.

Cos having a cruise terminal in a major tourism destination at the ar*e end of no where is such a great idea......hell we could even move it right down the coast to Jervis Bay.

There are lots of cruise ship destinations that are at or right next to container/cargo wharfs. Port botany is only 20 minutes to the CBD, station pier is 15 to Melbourne CBD, so distance is not a problem. At the end of the day I personally don't care where the ship docks on a cruise because that's not what the cruise is about.

There are lots of cruise ship destinations that are at or right next to container/cargo wharfs. Port botany is only 20 minutes to the CBD, station pier is 15 to Melbourne CBD, so distance is not a problem. At the end of the day I personally don't care where the ship docks on a cruise because that's not what the cruise is about.

Just one difference is that Station Pier in Melbourne is actually in what appears to be a city. Botany Bay doesn't.

As long as they don't make it a shed and make it world class, I don't mind the idea on Botany Bay as long as it is only used by cruise ships permanently based in Sydney. Those visiting should use the terminals in the city.

Station Pier in Melbourne feels like it is in the city. After all there aren't any docks closer to the CBD. A major advantage with this wharf is the public transport very close by.

I haven't tried to get public transport from Port Botany, but I suspect there isn't much available and they are not going to build it just for the occasional cruise ship.:D Port Botany would probably be about as convenient (or inconvenient) as the Grain Terminal at Fishermans Island in Brisbane.

I haven't tried to get public transport from Port Botany, but I suspect there isn't much available and they are not going to build it just for the occasional cruise ship.:D

I'd expect it would be at least the same as at White Bay, with at least a bus service provided. There wasn't great transport there either, yet they've still sited a cruise terminal there.

That said, given the greater scope of capacity, and that the road access is much better, the service could be very good. It's also very well located for the airport so would make for brilliant connections for any interstate or international travellers.

In contrast, the Melbourne cruise terminal feels out of the way from everything - even the tram line almost feels a straight line away from anything else.

The road access from Port Botany,Foreshore Drive leads onto General Holmes Drive and Southern Cross Drive which are very busy roads in peak hours (as are a lot of roads in Sydney).There is a railway track used for freight close to Port Botany which I think ends up at Sydenham.Perhaps this track could be upgraded.

I have a daughter in the Navy so I understand defence priorities but it is a pity that we have such a beautiful harbour which can't be used to it's best advantage.

Regards Elaine.

The cruise terminal at White Bay is still very much alive despite the fact that almost any cruise ship built this century won't fit under the bridge (sounds like Brisbane to me)

That's probably true about cruise ships this century, But, this century is only 12years old. So we're dealing with the fact, as per the Sydney cruise ship schedule, that most cruise ships arriving in Sydney BY FAR go under the bridge to the east side. The question is in part what the government/cruise ship industry can come up with in the next, say, 10 years, when a lot more of "this centuries" big ships start to take over the market. Hence the talk about Botany Bay.

The cruise terminal at White Bay is still very much alive despite the fact that almost any cruise ship built this century won't fit under the bridge (sounds like Brisbane to me)

It is a myth that the problem for Brisbane is the height of the Gateway Bridge (although it is an element of the problem). Even if you could get the good Tooth Fairy to jack up the bridge to whatever height you wish - it is the width of the river that is the final determining factor of what can get up the river). So you would need a telephone line to God to get around that difficulty.

Currently, ships about the size of Pacific Dawn and Sun Princess are ideal for cruising around Australia. Forget about what the Yanks are building for cruises in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean - those ships are not suitable for cruising here, and never will be. Why do you think that P&O UK cancelled their World Cruise of Azura ?? Too big for anywhere much else outside of the Mediterranean !

Barry

In contrast, the Melbourne cruise terminal feels out of the way from everything - even the tram line almost feels a straight line away from anything else.

Don't even talk about the tram line at the Melbourne terminal . We arrived there on Pacific Dawn alongside one of the Princess ships. Have you even seen 4000 people trying to board a tram into the City of Melbourne?? :p We took one look at the mess and walked the 5 klms to St Kilda instead. :) Nice pizzas and gelato in St Kilda!! ;)

Barry

Don't even talk about the tram line at the Melbourne terminal . We arrived there on Pacific Dawn alongside one of the Princess ships. Have you even seen 4000 people trying to board a tram into the City of Melbourne?? :p We took one look at the mess and walked the 5 klms to St Kilda instead. :) Nice pizzas and gelato in St Kilda!! ;)

Barry

When I was there on the Diamond Princess people were coming back on board the ship complaining of how bad the cities transportation was with most people unable to get further then the dock, due to lack on transportation with the trams being completely full and taxis almost impossible to get.

It was even worst on my Sun Princess cruise which had the Diamond pulled up next to us, and hardly anyone got to see anything, unless you got off really early. Plus the bomb scare we had didn't help the situation.

When I was there on the Diamond Princess people were coming back on board the ship complaining of how bad the cities transportation was with most people unable to get further then the dock, due to lack on transportation with the trams being completely full and taxis almost impossible to get.

It was even worst on my Sun Princess cruise which had the Diamond pulled up next to us, and hardly anyone got to see anything, unless you got off really early. Plus the bomb scare we had didn't help the situation.

:):)

This is cruising!! :) I tell first timers to always remember that on a ship, anything that you want to do, 2000 other people also want to do it at the same time :) The secret is to find out what the majority want to do and when they want to do it - and then try to do the opposite.

Barry

I agree that good efficient transportation is the key.

I hadn't realised how lucky we were with transportation from Melbourne Wharf in December.

They had city buses on the wharf which dropped passengers at the Arts Precinct (first stop of the free Melbourne City Tourist Shuttle). Passengers had to return by tram.

Archived