local guides only take fresh/crisp money

kahliasmom

We don't know why he wanted them but in looking around we noticed that many of the vendors were barefoot. Also we saw a guy wearing a Yankees baseball cap. My BIL asked him if he is a Yankees fan, and he said "I don't know who they are". At that point we figured he got the cap in a trade.

This is true in so many non-U.S. countries. Many people in these countries really like anything American, and will proudly wear the logos, etc, with pride but they have no idea what they mean.

Definitely have encountered this in South America, Europe and some Caribbean countries. There can be no markings whatsoever on the bills. No tears and if the bills are particuarly worn, that is a problem too. Russia is very particular about this. We always preorder our bills from the bank and we go through them before leaving the counter. If some have wrinkles, I go ahead and iron the money also to make them more presentable.

The only issue I've ever encountered using US currency in a foreign country was taking sufficient small bills to Mexico -- to be able to pay for purchases with exact (or close) amounts. They have no problem taking your US dollars (regardless of their condition) -- but your change will be in pesos -- most places, anyway.

Russia will only take new USD as well

It is their banks that will not take them because they think the old ratty ones are counterfeit

So the locals are out of pocket..they may re-coup their money by passing the ratty bills onto other tourists as change

Yes, and they will only accept crisp new bills in Peru also. Where there is a large problem with counterfeit money, they want absolutely pristine US dollar bills.

..note to self....don't travel to 3rd world countries that don't have pots to p*** in and are particular about accepting green backs...gimme a brake....:rolleyes:

We've never had an issue, but every time we buy US $ at our local bank it's always brand new, crispy currency. So new you have to peel them apart and slightly crinkle them so they won't stick together. I'm starting to think we print our own US currency right here in Canada ! ;)

We've never had an issue, but every time we buy US $ at our local bank it's always brand new, crispy currency. So new you have to peel them apart and slightly crinkle them so they won't stick together. I'm starting to think we print our own US currency right here in Canada ! ;)

And maybe it's just me -- but I would think that the bills you just described would actually appear to be more "suspicious" to a merchant in another country, than well-worn currency that's obviously changed hands a number of times. ;) :p

And maybe it's just me -- but I would think that the bills you just described would actually appear to be more "suspicious" to a merchant in another country, than well-worn currency that's obviously changed hands a number of times. ;) :p

Only if the ink's still wet !! :D

15 seconds in the micro fixes that problem ! :eek:

Only if the ink's still wet !! :D

15 seconds in the micro fixes that problem ! :eek:

ROTFLMAO! :D

Your "wet ink" reference reminded me of one island that's definitely NOT finicky about the condition of visitors' currency. The Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke got its name from the private yacht owners who anchored in the harbor and swam to shore -- back in the days before "water-wallets", of course! :p

We just returned from a Buenos Aires-->Valparaiso cruise and for each privately arranged tour we were asked to pay in crisp, unmarked US currency. Folds were OK but no rips, tears, or markings were allowed. They had no problem in accepting any denomination. It was just how the bill looked.

..note to self....don't travel to 3rd world countries that don't have pots to p*** in and are particular about accepting green backs...gimme a brake....:rolleyes:

Wow...really? And we wonder why so many people hate Americans...

They can take whatever kind of our money they want to...it's their country, and they're not obligated to even take our money. Perhaps you should stick to Alaska cruises...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow...really? And we wonder why so many people hate Americans...

...yea they sure are breaking down the doors trying to get here if they hate us so much....

Sent from my crappy old P.C.......

...yea they sure are breaking down the doors trying to get here if they hate us so much....

Constructive....

The Peruvian people and I hope you enjoy your cruises...

Maybe it's because they don't have a "pot to p*** in" as you so eloquently put it, that they are more wary about counterfeit money. What a pretentious and narrow minded view of the world when you begrudge some of the poorest people for making sure they make a living and provide for their family.

?..They can take whatever kind of our money they want to...it's their country, and they're not obligated to even take our money. Perhaps you should stick to Alaska cruises...

On the other hand, I have tour guides in some of those countries refuse payment in local currency, they ONLY will accept US dollars and make that very clear when I made the booking.

I think you are missing the point. And a world of experience. Your loss.

When you are in their country, believe it or not their rules and laws apply. You are lucky they even accept us currency at all. They don't have to.

Maybe it's because they don't have a "pot to p*** in" as you so eloquently put it, that they are more wary about counterfeit money. What a pretentious and narrow minded view of the world when you begrudge some of the poorest people for making sure they make a living and provide for their family.

Do you REALLY think that a counterfeiter would disguise themselve as a tourist off a cruise ship to pass "bad" bills...Come on now...Yea I can really see a 70 year old dottling with a cane passing bad stuff... I just think that it is not cost effective to copy 10's and 20's for if it were the Mob would be back in business.....but to demand new unciculated bills is a little much. Despite all the world's wishes the dollar is still the reserve currency. Just ask any international drug dealer or oil baron..sometimes one in the same...Cheers! still sent from my antique crappy old P.C. that I purchased with my crinkled circulated dollar bills....:)

When you are in their country, believe it or not their rules and laws apply. You are lucky they even accept us currency at all. They don't have to.

We are the customers. They are lucky we are there to spend our money. If they do not want US currency that is their choice and I can understand they at times prefer their local currency, but don't think we owe them anything other that being courteous.

It would be helpful if experienced cruisers would list ports where they will not accept US currency. I have only been in one port where I had a problem and no ship goes there anymore.

I don't know if it's true, but in all guidelines, tour books, anything I read somebody recommends only new bills. What do I know :o As we don't use much cash (all on credit cards these days to make points) any time I get crispy bills, they go in my travel envelope. Especially $1 and $5 bills for tips.

Even in the US I feel better leaving new bills as tips for maids.

Ones still have the small head of Washington -- and with higher denominations, it is rare to see any of the small head ones now. I hasven't seen any for a few years-- paper money wears out so quickly.

In any event, I doubt a vendor, particularly a tour guide who has already given the tour, would turn down whatever legal tender you offered.

We are the customers. They are lucky we are there to spend our money. If they do not want US currency that is their choice and I can understand they at times prefer their local currency, but don't think we owe them anything other that being courteous.

It would be helpful if experienced cruisers would list ports where they will not accept US currency. I have only been in one port where I had a problem and no ship goes there anymore.

Australia. And we get lots of cruise ships here. Our economy is one of the most robust in the world and we did not experience the same impact of the GFC. We did not go into recession. So, if you choose not to come here then we will survive nicely without you spending your money here.

Seriously, if I rocked up to a shop in the USA with Australian dollars, do you really think they would be accepted? So why can't you see that many countries will not accept your currency and not take offence at that!

Australia. And we get lots of cruise ships here. Our economy is one of the most robust in the world and we did not experience the same impact of the GFC. We did not go into recession. So, if you choose not to come here then we will survive nicely without you spending your money here.

Seriously, if I rocked up to a shop in the USA with Australian dollars, do you really think they would be accepted? So why can't you see that many countries will not accept your currency and not take offence at that!

Well, just hope China will not crash land their economy or your economy might suffer if the mineral and coal exports start to slow......Cheers!

Archived