Instruments

joesteam

I'm a professional yodeler, my wife an award winning hog caller, and our 19 year old daughter is a champion duck caller. I am proud that so much talent runs in our family. We compete all over our town several times per year. We find that the sea air on a cruise helps our voices, so we take as many as we can afford. The best times for us to practice are either around midnight or at dawn. That is when our voices are at their fullest. So this is when we typically practice, usually for between two to three hours. It's important to us that we maintain ourselves at our best competitive fitness, so we practice every day.

If anyone is bothered by us, they need to keep in mind that we are professionals and require special consideration.

Thank you for understanding.

icon12.gif

Why not just get off the ship in port, and play there? Then it doesn't offend any passengers in captivity. Put out a hat and maybe you'll get some local currency. You can't know if your neighbors will be gone unless you ask them first, of course. Some folks stay on the ship during port, so you can't assume anything regarding when would be best to play.

I'm a musician. Singer, piano, flute, various other instruments (majored in music ed so I had to be proficient at many) but I'd never consider bringing an instrument or even singing in my cabin. It's not just my vacation, it's others vacations too, and they didn't pay to come seeme/hear me.

Trust me, I understand the urge, it's within us, however we also need to realize that just because WE want it, doesn't mean we should subject others to it.

PERFECTLY stated.

So, if I am on your cruise, and the sun is out, and I am playing not quite well on a quiet deck.... unless you are napping in the cabin above, you can just walk the other way, or sit down and sing (also badly?) along.

But joesteam, that is the issue. If you are in a quiet space and you are playing and someone wants to sit there too, they should not have to walk away. By playing you may be impacting their ability to enjoy the same space you are in. Many people will deal with it and find a different space but they should not be put in a position to have to consider this.

I just finished practicing my small instrument and I feel content. I think that people, in general, are not as tolerant as they once were. small little things get blown up into media events. Do we all need everyone to behave as expected? All PC? Nothing out of the ordinary?

So some people don't want someone playing a soft acoustical instrument (somewhat badly) in an out of the way place on an overcrowded boat during 'business hours'? What really is the harm done?

I am thinking now that I will bring the sucker and play discretely to my hearts content. Pictures to follow....:eek:

I think the bagpipes are a really depressing instrument, its a cross between a wailing and a squeaky door and sorry to say Scottish songs are about death and spirits.

AriaWoman, I would never have thought a flute as a rock instrument, what kind of rock music did you play? Was that fairly recently, are you still a "rock chic"?

I currently sing lead in a rock band, i play the flute for 1 song - Nights in White Satin. :-) There's always jethro tull too, but we haven't added that in quite yet.

Typically, it's not a rock instrument, but well, there's exception to every rule :-)

I got my degree from college in Music Education (K-12 vocal music) however I went another direction with my professional life. Music is just a hobby (for which I'm paid poorly like everyone else lol) at this point.

I currently sing lead in a rock band, i play the flute for 1 song - Nights in White Satin. :-) There's always jethro tull too, but we haven't added that in quite yet.

Typically, it's not a rock instrument, but well, there's exception to every rule :-)

I got my degree from college in Music Education (K-12 vocal music) however I went another direction with my professional life. Music is just a hobby (for which I'm paid poorly like everyone else lol) at this point.

Coooooool. Well I wouldn't complain if you played your flute on my cruise, especially as you know how to play. Knowing what a flute sounds like, it is not an obtrusive sound and despite the negatives here, on a 120,000 tonne ship if there are places for shrieking kids to let off verbal intrusions, then a well played instrument is no less annoying. As I said, the theater or celebrity central is an appropriate place to play if the angry mob of sunbathers, wielding burgers and hot dogs, shouting grrr get a little too stimulated. I would love to hear the Titanic song on my cruise on a flute but that is just my sense of humour.

I just finished practicing my small instrument and I feel content. I think that people, in general, are not as tolerant as they once were. small little things get blown up into media events. Do we all need everyone to behave as expected? All PC? Nothing out of the ordinary?

So some people don't want someone playing a soft acoustical instrument (somewhat badly) in an out of the way place on an overcrowded boat during 'business hours'? What really is the harm done?

I am thinking now that I will bring the sucker and play discretely to my hearts content. Pictures to follow....:eek:

So, you feel we are intolerant. You think we want everyone to be PC and we do not want to encounter non ordinary people. Very judgemental of you!

You asked a question and it was answered honestly. If you did not think it could be inappropriate to practice (somewhat badly) on board you would not have asked. You got your non judgemental and polite answers. No one blew it up into a media event.

In the end you will do what you are going to do and nothing that has been said against what you want will change your mind. Why did you ask in the first place?

Of course this whole thread may have been an experiment in starting an argument.

Coooooool. Well I wouldn't complain if you played your flute on my cruise, especially as you know how to play. Knowing what a flute sounds like, it is not an obtrusive sound and despite the negatives here, on a 120,000 tonne ship if there are places for shrieking kids to let off verbal intrusions, then a well played instrument is no less annoying. As I said, the theater or celebrity central is an appropriate place to play if the angry mob of sunbathers, wielding burgers and hot dogs, shouting grrr get a little too stimulated. I would love to hear the Titanic song on my cruise on a flute but that is just my sense of humour.

While it's nice that you wouldn't complain, I'd never bring one along lol. Who wants to carry more crap? lol I have too much with me already :-)

If no one approves or the uke, just bring along the bagpipes. I'm still learning "Scotland the Brave", but if I ever get it right, I might just be in the stateroom next to you!

We were on Monarch of the Seas about 15 years ago. We decided to take a walk on the promenade deck late one evening. When we go to the stern of the ship there was a guy back there playing his bagpipes. He was pretty good, but he did find the most out of the way place on the ship.

On another cruise they had a passenger talent show and there was a group of about 10 that brought accordions for the talent show. They weren't very good, but at least I never heard them any place on the ship practicing.

• 2 years later...
We were on P and O ventura 3 years ago in the carribean and a guy played the bagpipes out on the top deck every time we left a port.

I enjoyed it but lots of passengers didnt.!!

I just wondered how he managed to fit it in his luggage as we had all flown from the UK to Barbados to join the ship with only 23 kilos allowance each.I used 20 kg just for shoes :)

janette

I would be one of the "love it" people. In fact, one of the ring tones I have on my phone is bagpipes.

DON

On the Solstice in Dec, Captain Fredde sang Brown eyed girl and played the guitar on stage one night. No one complained.

Oh by the way I can and do occasionally play the spoons

I was on a recent HAL cruise and there was a wonderful saloon type piano player in one of the lounges every night. There was one woman in the audience who sometimes played the spoons along with a piano player. The combination was great and everyone enjoyed it.

DON

I am considering bringing my little Ukulele on a cruise next week.

Your ukelele is a soft, non-offensive instrument.

Just a very few words... :confused:

"TINY TIM" :eek:

and

"TIPTOE THROUGH THE TULIPS" :mad:

And if THAT is too ancient, remember "Baby's big sister" from Dirty Dancing? :p :D :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

On long cruises we often meet with cruise friends in a lounge mid afternoon for card games and socializing as others frequently do. We've run into a couple situations where people were practicing their music in these areas during their "off times".

Once the musician was excellent, a pleasure to listen to and really didn't interrupt the conversation. But the other time the music was not very good and became irritating to all after a few minutes. An altercation nearly developed when we politely asked them to stop.

As others have said, one person's music may be another's noise. I don't mind good music that I enjoy but no one should be in the position to make the decision that music is good enough or enjoyable enough other than the ship's staff hiring professional musicians.

Because of this I do not believe a cruise ship is an appropriate place to be practicing music at any location where others can hear you or potentially hear you. Can you imagine the havoc that would occur if every aspiring musician on board brought their instruments to play or practice with?

Some years ago on a Princess cruise DW and I together with maybe another 10 people were enjoying the sun the wake of the ship at sea from a deck on the aft. A woman came along with a guitar and began to play. It completely destroyed the ambiance

I thought it was somewhat arrogant that she would just assume we would all enjoy her playing for us and interjecting her wants into our space.

As my frustration mounted to the point where I was about to get up and speak with her, a crew member came along, opened a crew door, and the most magnificent flood imaginable burst onto the deck. Apparently a pipe from the pool one deck up had burst

Problem solved, we all left.

I was on a Celebrity cruise and Regis Philban was a fellow guest. There was a young boy, perhaps 10 or 11 who would sit at a piano and practice. Could always see regis stop and listen to the boy. He was fantastic and a wonderful addition to the cruise. On my last cruise on Reflection I noticed a young girl practicing every morning outside Murano. Her Mother was always seated at the Bar listening to her. Once again, quite talented. I often noticed people sitting and listening. The problem is when people "think" they are talented and want to share with others. One time an older man thought that he would provide entertainment during the Elite Hour in Michael's Club. His lack of talent was only surpassed by his loudness. We had the piano locked during the Elite Hour for the remainder of the cruise Be reasonable and respectful and things will be fine.

We are locked into a cabin or space with a couple of thousand other. I would hate to have someone make objectionable noise from the cabin next to mine or even unwanted noise from a musical instrument/MP3 player.

I have seen some pretty good amateurs play with the ships entertainment, and some well bad ones too, but in a open venue where we could escape it if necessary. In open spaces, where I can escape, if it was bad enough, not because I want to, that is my option.

I know noise/yelling/music etc good or bad is very subjective and for the ship to regulate it is probably not a option.

Not trying to offend but we would fnd ANY musical instrument being played by a passenger on the ship in any public space annoying. If it happened more than once I would politely ask the person playing it to stop - if they refused I would go to guest relations.

Actually once there was a fellow playing the piano before dinner, I asked him if he was the piano player on board. He said he was just a fellow passenger amusing himself. He actually was good enough to be a lounge player. No problems with people like him playing IMO

I think the bagpipes are a really depressing instrument, its a cross between a wailing and a squeaky door and sorry to say Scottish songs are about death and spirits.

AriaWoman, I would never have thought a flute as a rock instrument, what kind of rock music did you play? Was that fairly recently, are you still a "rock chic"?

Not only Jethro Tull but Marshall Tucker made great use of the flute in their Southern Rock music.

I was on a Carnival cruise listening to Joe Philipow Jazz trio and the person next to me had a box with a harmonica in it. He talked to Joe and sat in for a few sets and did a couple of solos. He was an original member on the Harmonicats. Had a nice conversation with him. Learned a lot about harmonicas. Their harmonicas were the equivalent to a concert violinists violin. That was the only time that I heard him play on the ship.

Had heard others pull out a mouth organ and be rather rude just making noise and thinking that everyone wanted to listen to it on other cruises.

But joesteam, that is the issue. If you are in a quiet space and you are playing and someone wants to sit there too, they should not have to walk away. By playing you may be impacting their ability to enjoy the same space you are in. Many people will deal with it and find a different space but they should not be put in a position to have to consider this.
What about some group was already there laughing and talking loud? Or how about a group playing cards or some other game and getting vocal? Are all these not allowed?

Enjoy,

Ron

Edited by ronrythm

I have seen some pretty good amateurs play with the ships entertainment, and some well bad ones too, but in a open venue where we could escape it if necessary. In open spaces, where I can escape, if it was bad enough, not because I want to, that is my option.

Here is the problem w this approach. Why should you have to move from a space that you like because someone else is playing an instrument? It is bad enough on the ship with the continuous elevator music all over the place that you can not escape from.

To avoid fights and arguments, I believe that nobody, regardless of how talented they may be, should be allowed to play on board in a public area of the ship or even in their cabin if the sound carries unless they are invited by management. This would avoid all problems.

DON

I have no issues with someone playing in an out of the way public space. Heck even on a Sea day there are lots of unoccupied spaces.

I really don't want someone to play any instrument on a nearby balcony or the cabin next door. Please don't. But the same goes for those people that want to bring music out to their balcony. Please don't.