Chumley Bear Group on our sailing Nov 10th Caribbean Princess??

RAIDERMOM

I have never read complaints on cruising with "bear" groups. It is no worry. I think our next cruise may have a group. Have no idea what. But is pretty much booked early. Honestly we make our fun and do not pay attention to what others are doing. We once did a cruise with Cardiologists. They did take over some venues for meetings. But told my husband if you want to have a heat attack this is the cruise to be on.

Don't borrow trouble. The groups are there to have fun like you. Most know how to behave. If not, then believe me it will be told about. BTW the Red Hat ladies are the biggest party animals I have ever cruised with. Fun, but those ladies are something else. They asked me to join. I could not keep up.

Seems Princess has a few sailings at the beginning of next Caribbean season with large groups. The Nov 4 Ruby has Bears, the Nov 10 CB has Bears and our Nov 11 Ruby has the Canadian Expedia Cruise travel agents having their annual conference onboard (apparently 500-700 of them). We seriously thought about changing just because of having such a large group onboard. Ironically we would have moved to the CB on the 10th. I'd rather take my chances with a group of travel agents than Bears. FYI, although neither DH or I are homophobic at all, i really do believe the cruise line should inform pax booking who are not part of this group that they will be onboard. We travel a very long way to get to Florida at great expense to go on a cruise and can only do it once a year or less and this could be a deal breaker for some pax. If this type of thing bothered you and you had scrimped and saved for your precious cruise this could truly ruin someone's hard earned vacation.

i really do believe the cruise line should inform pax booking who are not part of this group that they will be onboard.

They should do this with ANY group of that size onboard.

Is it just me or does the term 'Adventure Bears' sound awesome? It could be the name of a kids tv show or something.

Agreed! "I'm an Adventure Bear!" That's just not something ya hear every day.

I have been inconvenienced by large groups (not the group in question) and IMO - other passengers should be informed (at booking) when large groups are on the ship.

It really doesn't matter who the group is - when there are 500 plus individuals in a group on a ship, it does just the cruise. I had 600 (plus) Russians living in LA on my last cruise and they took over the dining room, were trying to smoke in there, kept switching tables or seats in the middle of a meal and were driving the waitstaff crazy which did affect my cruise experience as my service then suffered. They took over pool areas, lounges, etc.... On another cruise there were 500 plus sales people for some company. They would frequently take over the microphone in the dining room at night and at breakfast and issue awards to their top sales people and make speeches. Not exactly the dining experience I wanted.

I dunno. I'm perfectly comfortable cruising with large groups of pax who don't share my sexual orientation....

Not the point...AT ALL! I'm perfectly comfortable cruising with large groups of pax who don't share my sexual orientation too, but I'm not comfortable cruising with large groups who do, but who take over the Terrace Pool.

I wasn't totally comfortable on the holiday cruises with large family groups (20+people) who took over pool areas and reserved as many as 18 lounge chairs for hours at a time. 500 affiliated people? No thanks.

I am the one who initially posted with my concern about a group of Adventure Bears on my upcoming Ruby cruise 11/4. I have no problem with anybody's sexual orientation, but I will be bringing grandchildren on this cruise, and the reason for my concern was due to a posting read on the Royal Caribbean section of CC, a few years ago. A member posted a link to an album of his photos of a Bear cruise, and he did it in response to many requests from CC members asking him to share the photos. Granted, I think it was a charter cruise, so no "outsiders" were on board. It looked a bit wild, Toga parties and the like, which Im sure will not be a part of this cruise. And the Adventure Bears seem to be a smaller group, but big enough to fill the Terrace Pool area. Not a problem for me, as my grandkids are not allowed in the adult pools anyway, so we will be using the main pools for our trip. My daughters say its not a concern to them, so we are still going, but I am sure hoping the group is alot smaller than 500 or 600 people.

Seems Princess has a few sailings at the beginning of next Caribbean season with large groups. The Nov 4 Ruby has Bears, the Nov 10 CB has Bears and our Nov 11 Ruby has the Canadian Expedia Cruise travel agents having their annual conference onboard (apparently 500-700 of them). We seriously thought about changing just because of having such a large group onboard. Ironically we would have moved to the CB on the 10th. I'd rather take my chances with a group of travel agents than Bears. FYI, although neither DH or I are homophobic at all, i really do believe the cruise line should inform pax booking who are not part of this group that they will be onboard. We travel a very long way to get to Florida at great expense to go on a cruise and can only do it once a year or less and this could be a deal breaker for some pax. If this type of thing bothered you and you had scrimped and saved for your precious cruise this could truly ruin someone's hard earned vacation.

I personally do not feel that Princess or any other vacation provider should be in the business of enabling people's prejudices.

Either they disclose all affinity groups or none. They have chosen the "none" route. The "who" is not germane.

Personally, I just don't think you can have 500-600 people traveling as a group on a cruise ship and them not have some sort of an impact. Whether they're gay or not is totally irrelevant.

I have to agree. I don't think I would like to cruise 500 quilters either, a large group of anything has to impact a cruise.

I will be bringing grandchildren on this cruise, and the reason for my concern was due to a posting read on the Royal Caribbean section of CC, a few years ago. A member posted a link to an album of his photos of a Bear cruise, and he did it in response to many requests from CC members asking him to share the photos. Granted, I think it was a charter cruise, so no "outsiders" were on board. It looked a bit wild, Toga parties and the like, which Im sure will not be a part of this cruise.

Okay, depending on the age of your grandchildren, this could actually be a huge lesson in tolerance. You seem to realize that they will tone down some of the aspects you may have seen in photos of other, private cruises so toga parties and the like are unlikely to be a concern. If your grandchildren are tween/teen, you could use it as an opportunity to explain what the group is about, answer their questions and tell them why they shouldn't feel uncomfortable around them. If they are younger, they'll be too busy swimming, playing and having fun to even realize anything is "out of the norm." Even if they do realize what is going on, I see no problem in explaining to them that sometimes some men enjoy the company of other men and this is a group of men who feel that way.

Not the point...AT ALL! I'm perfectly comfortable cruising with large groups of pax who don't share my sexual orientation too, but I'm not comfortable cruising with large groups who do, but who take over the Terrace Pool.

No, I agree, not the point for you. However, I wasn't responding to you, but to the phrase "don't agree that most people would feel comfortable sailing with a group like that." You'll note, not "with a group of that size," though some of those bears are pretty big.

I was on the Majesty of the Seas with a large (200+ ?) group of gay men. They were a hoot :D It was a rather interesting group of what appeared to be white men with Asian boyfriends. All of them fit that demographic. I found myself wondering how such a specific group even gets organized for a cruise :confused: I met a few of them on shore excursions, or in the bars on the ship. They were all very nice, and I had no problem with that group at all.

That particular cruise also had about 600 Cubans on board, not that they were traveling as a group, but it was a 3 nighter out of Miami over a holiday weekend, so I guess it was just a whole lotta locals sailing. Some of the large family groups were some of the most obnoxious people I've ever come across on any cruise. They were loud and boisterous at the welcome back party, even drowning out the hotel director giving a speech at the party :mad: Not all of that nationality were like that, but enough of them were to make me not want to ever sail out of Miami on a short cruise ever again (and I haven't).

The gay group on the other hand were polite and friendly. They had a special event in the theater one evening and came parading out right at dinner time. One guy was wearing a dress made out of balloons. I got some great photos :D (you don't see a man wearing a balloon dress every day, ya know)

I do agree that if a group is too large, it can take away from some of the fun of a cruise. I wouldn't want to not be able to use a particular pool, or have certain events canceled or shuffled around to accommodate them, to the detriment of the rest of the passengers.

Meh. I guess I'm getting mellower as I age. Ten years ago comments like "most people would have a problem with them" or "it can ruin someone's vacation" would've put me into annoyed activist mode but at this point I recognize that you can't legislate away bigotry from people. The only thing I can do is try to point out that in civilized society such blanket condemnation of any group based on race, religion, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, etc is unacceptable, and counsel that learning tolerance can make life a lot sweeter for yourself.

Am I the perfect picture of tolerance? Heck no, but I know when I'm being a judgmental tool, and I'm learning to overcome it.

Frankly, if I, or someone else, gets worked up just over the idea of the presense of a particular group, rather than some rare direct act which does me actual harm, well, I'll have to concede its me that has the problem, not the group I seem to fear.

Meh. I guess I'm getting mellower as I age. Ten years ago comments like "most people would have a problem with them" or "it can ruin someone's vacation" would've put me into annoyed activist mode but at this point I recognize that you can't legislate away bigotry from people. The only thing I can do is try to point out that in civilized society such blanket condemnation of any group based on race, religion, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, etc is unacceptable, and counsel that learning tolerance can make life a lot sweeter for yourself.

Am I the perfect picture of tolerance? Heck no, but I know when I'm being a judgmental tool, and I'm learning to overcome it.

Frankly, if I, or someone else, gets worked up just over the idea of the presense of a particular group, rather than some rare direct act which does me actual harm, well, I'll have to concede its me that has the problem, not the group I seem to fear.

Maybe you have become intolerant of those with a different point of view. How and when parents want to expose their children to certain aspects of life can involve tough personal choices. Just as you respect the differences in others and tolerate them, maybe you should be more tolerant of those facing tough parental choices and decisions without the name calling (bigot). You seem to believe this is all so easy.

QUOTE: Frankly, if I, or someone else, gets worked up just over the idea of the presense of a particular group, rather than some rare direct act which does me actual harm, well, I'll have to concede its me that has the problem, not the group I seem to fear.

I think some members here are totally misunderstanding the point here. It is not the group that some find a problem, but rather the SIZE of the group that would change things. Five to six hundred people are alot different than 100 to 200 people.

Okay, depending on the age of your grandchildren, this could actually be a huge lesson in tolerance. You seem to realize that they will tone down some of the aspects you may have seen in photos of other, private cruises so toga parties and the like are unlikely to be a concern. If your grandchildren are tween/teen, you could use it as an opportunity to explain what the group is about, answer their questions and tell them why they shouldn't feel uncomfortable around them. If they are younger, they'll be too busy swimming, playing and having fun to even realize anything is "out of the norm." Even if they do realize what is going on, I see no problem in explaining to them that sometimes some men enjoy the company of other men and this is a group of men who feel that way.

My grandchildren range from 10 to 17. They all will understand exactly what is going on without any lessons from me. After seeing the photos posted by the member on the RCI board though, I wonder if sheer numbers, coupled with lots of alcohol, lessens inhibition. There were many things that should have been kept behind closed doors, that were not, and REGARDLESS of the gender of the people involved, they should have been behind closed doors. Things I would not feel comfortable witnessing, or want to witness, while strolling around the ship. I dont care if they are two old married people, or two people who met this morning on board ship. Please do not misconstrue my words. It is not the sexual orientation that bothers me, but the I dont care who sees me attitude that was displayed in the photos I saw. Some things are not for public display, if you get my drift.

I think some members here are totally misunderstanding the point here. It is not the group that some find a problem, but rather the SIZE of the group that would change things. Five to six hundred people are alot different than 100 to 200 people.

I agree, right away some want to label the inquisitive "haters" when the root of the question is, will this group have an impact on my cruise. :cool:

Since the Terrace Pool is my favorite area to hang out in, I would not want to cruise with any sort of group that was going to take over the area of the ship I enjoy using. And especially as a single female, I would not be comfortable sitting among 500 gay men. :o

I agree, right away some want to label the inquisitive "haters" when the root of the question is, will this group have an impact on my cruise. :cool:

Exactly!!! I am sure there are many who dont want to cruise with a large group of old ladies (of which I am one) either. :)

My grandchildren range from 10 to 17. They all will understand exactly what is going on without any lessons from me. After seeing the photos posted by the member on the RCI board though, I wonder if sheer numbers, coupled with lots of alcohol, lessens inhibition. There were many things that should have been kept behind closed doors, that were not, and REGARDLESS of the gender of the people involved, they should have been behind closed doors. Things I would not feel comfortable witnessing, or want to witness, while strolling around the ship. I dont care if they are two old married people, or two people who met this morning on board ship. Please do not misconstrue my words. It is not the sexual orientation that bothers me, but the I dont care who sees me attitude that was displayed in the photos I saw. Some things are not for public display, if you get my drift.

You've expressed my feelings about not wanting to see the public affection that many of their group seem to want to display. What it does do is drive people away from that section of the ship & makes it more crowded for everyone else since most people aren't drawn to open exhibition of public affection.

If that sort of thing doesn't bother you then it'll be a great trip for everyone but I prefer not have myself or grand kids witness it at their stage in life.

Exactly!!! I am sure there are many who dont want to cruise with a large group of old ladies (of which I am one) either. :)

And that may mean you should never use Holland America, because 'old ladies' was almost the entire crowd there. LOL

I have come to realize that there are always a fair number of things to do on a cruise ship ......... isn't that great? So, when one option is being occupied by others, I never fail but find something else interesting.

As for 'doing in public what YOU think should be done in private', well, now it is Carnival you must avoid, because in every bar there [countless] there is most always some couple being explicitly intimate. And Carnival has far for children than Princess, and the average.

Forget evil groups taking over YOUR ship. Find other options. If you fear them, by all means stop cruising. That would be foolish IMHO, but certainly your choice. Otherwise, be phlegmatic and enjoy what you have [which is a lot!].

Doug

Forget evil groups taking over YOUR ship. Find other options. If you fear them, by all means stop cruising. That would be foolish IMHO, but certainly your choice. Otherwise, be phlegmatic and enjoy what you have [which is a lot!].

Doug

Doug, I dont recall ever characterizing any group as evil, or claiming the ship as mine. I never said I feared anyone, but I will repeat, that I feel some are deliberately turning this discussion into something it isnt, and should not be.

Archived