Cabs will generally accept US dollars, euros or lira -- however, you probably will get overcharged due to their "generous" conversion rate.

The same will hold true for most vendors.

What you'll need currency for is transportation (e.g., the various trams), and admission to some official museums, which may include Haghia Sophia, Topkapi, Basilica Cistern, etc. (Some of them accept a credit card, some do not; but I don't think you can use any currency other than the Turkish lira).

You may also need lira for any really small purchases (like a simit from a street vendor, or a cup of Turkish coffee).

Why not just use an ATM and get lira once you arrive?

One more question before I leave on Sat. I heard that USD was accepted almost everywhere and to just change a small amount of money over for cabs and street vendors. Is this true?

Traders in places such as the Grand Bazaar will take practically any currency, but USD may be more difficult in cafes etc, and the rates will be even less favourable than for euros.

There are also times - eg the trams - when you need Turkish lire so, as Cynthia's post, it makes sense to have some in your pocket.

Does your cruise visit euro-land ports? You'll find euros much more widely-accepted than USD, so carry all three currencies & juggle them to use up your lire by the end of the day.

JB :)

I am actually there on a land trip, not a cruise and it was mentioned that we don't have to change more then $40 or $50 for it because almost all places take USD. We will be there for 11 days so it seemed a bit odd to me so I wanted to check with other people.

I'm planning on exchanging more then that for sure, esp after the feedback here. Thanks :)

I am actually there on a land trip, not a cruise and it was mentioned that we don't have to change more then $40 or $50 for it because almost all places take USD. We will be there for 11 days so it seemed a bit odd to me so I wanted to check with other people.

I'm planning on exchanging more then that for sure, esp after the feedback here. Thanks :)

I'll be in Turkey for three (3) days next month and have changed $300 for two of us to pay for museums, trams, trinkets, tips and spice purchases. Anything "big" can go on the credit card.

$40 of $50 for 11 day seems waaaay to low to me.

Then definately aim to use Turkish lire throughout, you will get better rates - for instance you'll be charged the correct amount for goods/menus/meters priced in lire - without relying on the conversion rates given by vendors, or perhaps being declined a purchase.

And buy tram jetons in batches - they're no cheaper but it saves time having to buy each time, especially if you arrive at a stop at the same time as a tram.

Most folk on this forum have only a day or two, and understandably fear being left with excess lire.

You'll have that worry only on your last day.

11 days. :cool:

I'm green with envy.

By the time you get back, you'll be a lot more knowledgeable than the rest of us.

And we'll expect you to have picked up some useful Turkish phrases to pass on to us. ;)

JB :)

Thanks for the input. Yeah I figured that amount was way to low!

I plan to write a full review. 4 days of being there will be a confrence and at least 2 other days are taken up with some other stuff, but we have 3 days to do nothing but sight see. Hoping to see as much as possible and report back!

Gosh, we have been twice both times we were there 2 days (overnighted on a cruise) and we exchanged $200 USD into lira via the ATM at the port exit.

We had a little bit left over - but not much :D We put the larger shopping items on the credit card as well as dinner. But everything else, tram, drinks, snacks, entrance fees and some small shopping items were paid in lira.

We used the small amount we had left in our next port - Kusadasi even though we were on a private tour and pretty much everything but shopping was included.

It's pretty easy to spend in small amounts :D

IMHO when in Rome act like a Roman and in Turkey use Turkish currency :D

We were on a private tour so no need for anything, but we found they took Euros readily

One more question before I leave on Sat. I heard that USD was accepted almost everywhere and to just change a small amount of money over for cabs and street vendors. Is this true?

Get Lira for all the reasons mentioned above. It will really help when you are bargaining in shops and bazaars. You get much more respect and a better deal. At the end of your time in Turkey spend what is left on souvenirs, etc. The shopping is fantastic.

We were in five ports in Turkey and in our last one (Antalya) we ran into our guide in a tea shop and he helped us spend our last coins.

We were there at the end of October. In order to get into any historic sites, you need TL. Many shops & stalls that we shopped at asked us for Euros, which surprised us. Never tried using USD, it was so easy to use ATM's for local currency as we traveled.

p.s. I think most historic sites took credit cards also.

We were there at the end of October. In order to get into any historic sites, you need TL. Many shops & stalls that we shopped at asked us for Euros, which surprised us. Never tried using USD, it was so easy to use ATM's for local currency as we traveled.

p.s. I think most historic sites took credit cards also.

Thanks I am going to change the max I can on day one (I will be calling my bank tomorrow to figure out what it is) and go from there!

Anyone have any questions they want me to find the answers to while I'm there?

Archived