Dream vs Epic vs Allure

dans0202

Over the last 2 Christmas holidays I was very fortunate to have taken 1 week cruises on the RCCL Allure and NCL Epic. These were my 5th and 6th cruises which have all been with RCCL or NCL.

Both ships were amazing and the gap between the two ships not as big as many believe. The entertainment on the Allure is in a difference league and the flow riders and zip line cool but too busy. The Epic had great water slides for my kids (10 and 12) and the food in the regular and speciality restaurants as good if not better than RCCL. I also found Epic’s entertainment to be solid compared to past cruises.

This year we are on a smaller budget and I have been looking into the Dream. I have read about the issues with the flow of people throughout the ship which is a concern as we are traveling at peak season.

I am looking for any opinions how much of a shock I will be in for were I to travel on the Dream at Christmas 2012 from somebody ideally with pre teens who has been on the Allure or Epic and the Dream.

Thank you in advance

Dan

Over the last 2 Christmas holidays I was very fortunate to have taken 1 week cruises on the RCCL Allure and NCL Epic. These were my 5th and 6th cruises which have all been with RCCL or NCL.

Both ships were amazing and the gap between the two ships not as big as many believe. The entertainment on the Allure is in a difference league and the flow riders and zip line cool but too busy. The Epic had great water slides for my kids (10 and 12) and the food in the regular and speciality restaurants as good if not better than RCCL. I also found Epic’s entertainment to be solid compared to past cruises.

This year we are on a smaller budget and I have been looking into the Dream. I have read about the issues with the flow of people throughout the ship which is a concern as we are traveling at peak season.

I am looking for any opinions how much of a shock I will be in for were I to travel on the Dream at Christmas 2012 from somebody ideally with pre teens who has been on the Allure or Epic and the Dream.

Thank you in advance

Dan

As someone who has been on the Epic and the Dream, you must realized that the Dream can't compare to the features and innovations that you will find on the Epic. That said, you are going to have a good time on which ever ship you chose. The Dream will have similar water slides, but thats about where the similarities will end. The entertainment on NCL is heads a shoulders above CCL, but thats not to say CCL doesn't have good acts. Just remember the Epic and Allure and Oasis are in leagues of their own and can't really be compared to any other ships.

Just off the Dream. Have been on Epic (in a Suite) and on Oasis. For the Kids, you can't beat OASIS/ALLURE. Please see my recent review of Dream. We had a great time.

Here is my order of preference if travelling with kids:

Oasis/Allure

Dream

Epic

Here is my preference if travelling alone with spouse:

Epic (in a Suite)

Oasis/Allure

Dream

Epic (non-suite)

You can't go wrong with the three ships. As stated in my review, I was worried beforehand, but had a great time. The $$ saved by going on Dream also plays a role in decision

If you do decide to stick with Dream, I highly recommend forgetting about Allure and Epic - if that's possible. If you go on board Dream comparing, you will be disappointed. Dream does not compare to those 2 ships and most certainly is much more crowded. Go with the right attitude though, and you will still have fun.

I have cruised on Allure and toured the Dream. Both pictorials are linked in my sig.

Comparing them is not really possible. There is no other ship afloat that can compare to Oasis and Allure. They are spectacular in every measurable sense. You'd really have to experience one to understand, no words (or even pictures) from me could possibly do them justice.

I'm certainly not denigrating Dream, she was a very nice ship. But it just seemed to be a variation of the same theme CCL has been using since Destiny was launched. That's not a bad thing, it works well for Carnival. But I felt none of the excitement and anticipation boarding Dream that I had when I first walked onto Allure.

I have a question about the Oasis or the Allure (I am guessing that they are both very similar) when I was reading reviews of them...it doesn't seem like they have all the open decks like the Carnival ships do....is this correct? My favorite thing to do on a cruise is sitting on the deck and just watching the water...we have only been on the smaller carnival ships (until we go on the Dream next month) and we would sit on the outside of the lido deck where the tables and chairs are for an hour at a time.

Just by looking at the reviews...I can tell that both of those ships are great in the area of entertainment and that people love the park part in the middle of the ship. I thought some of you that have been on one of those ships could explain it to me.

I have a question about the Oasis or the Allure (I am guessing that they are both very similar) when I was reading reviews of them...it doesn't seem like they have all the open decks like the Carnival ships do....is this correct? My favorite thing to do on a cruise is sitting on the deck and just watching the water...we have only been on the smaller carnival ships (until we go on the Dream next month) and we would sit on the outside of the lido deck where the tables and chairs are for an hour at a time.

Just by looking at the reviews...I can tell that both of those ships are great in the area of entertainment and that people love the park part in the middle of the ship. I thought some of you that have been on one of those ships could explain it to me.

On Oasis/Allure you can find many places with great views of the water. It's true that most of the lower levels are all about being "in the ship". There are no views of the ocean on the Royal Promenade or Central Park. But if you walk out onto the Boardwalk, the entire aft end is open to the ocean. There are chairs you can sit in back there, or sit in the Aqua Theater if it's not being used.

Up on the top deck, the (adults only) Solarium is at the very front of the ship and has great ocean views. The entire canopy around it is glass. Even the cafe in the Solarium is walled in glass, so you really can't NOT see the ocean wherever you are in there.

The entire pool deck has windows around it, just like any other cruise ship. The Wipeout Cafe (aft by the Flowriders) has ocean facing outdoor seating, and the enitre sports deck is open air as well.

There is a not-very-well-known sun deck on the "roof" of the bridge that gives you a "Captain's eye view". You have to walk through a cabin hallway to get out there, but it's worth the trip. Especially during sail-aways.

But my favorite place to sit and "ocean watch" is the Viking Crown Lounge. It's at the very top of the ship and wraps around the front of the funnel. From there you get great views of the pool deck, Central Park down below, and a panoramic view of the sea. The VCL is my favorite place to sit and relax when I'm on a RCI ship.

We did Allure and Dream in 2011.

As others have said, theres no comparison. We had a nice time on the Dream, but we went with realistically lowered expectations. Comparing Dream to the Allure would be unfair.

I've reviewed both cruises. You can click on the links in my signature...

Just off the Dream. Have been on Epic (in a Suite) and on Oasis. For the Kids, you can't beat OASIS/ALLURE. Please see my recent review of Dream. We had a great time.

Oasis/Allure

Dream

Epic

Epic (in a Suite)

Oasis/Allure

Dream

Epic (non-suite)

You can't go wrong with the three ships. As stated in my review, I was worried beforehand, but had a great time. The $$ saved by going on Dream also plays a role in decision

Yoir comparison blows away the theory that many have about getting the cheapest cabin because you are never in it and you only sleep in it.

Interesting.

OP, thanks for starting this thread so that DarthGrady posted. Because of this thread, I clicked on his link to the Allure.

Grady, thank you so much for your pictorial review of the Allure. You did a wonderful job! I just spent a few hours reading and viewing all 20 pages...lol. We were on the Oasis in February and loved it! Even though we have loved all of our cruises, the one on the Oasis was one in a lifetime experience. So different! It was nice viewing your pictures. Very similar to the Oasis with only a few differences. We had always wanted to try the Allure but when we saw a really good deal on he Oasis in February, we jumped on it and were we ever glad we did. We will watch for one for the Allure. We thought it would be another year or two before the prices go down but we found one for the Oasis this year.

My favorite spot was in Central Park. I could have sat there all day but there was too much else to see and do on the ship...lol

I'm posting here as it is more current than your other thread.

Edit: oh great, now I'll have to go and read Tapi's....lol

Oasis/Allure

Dream

Epic

Epic (in a Suite)

Oasis/Allure

Dream

Epic (non-suite)

To each his own, but not sure how you have the Dream above the Epic when traveling with kids. NCL's children's program is on par with CCL's but the features and entertainment one will find on the Epic compared to the Dream is second to none. Our kids said after doing the Dream last June, then doing NCL Star in July, then Epic in November, and then coming back to CCL for the Valor this March they said never again on CCL if NCL was an option. Like I said earlier if all lines were the same and we all liked the same line and ship the world would be a boring place.

On Oasis/Allure you can find many places with great views of the water. It's true that most of the lower levels are all about being "in the ship". There are no views of the ocean on the Royal Promenade or Central Park. But if you walk out onto the Boardwalk, the entire aft end is open to the ocean. There are chairs you can sit in back there, or sit in the Aqua Theater if it's not being used.

Up on the top deck, the (adults only) Solarium is at the very front of the ship and has great ocean views. The entire canopy around it is glass. Even the cafe in the Solarium is walled in glass, so you really can't NOT see the ocean wherever you are in there.

The entire pool deck has windows around it, just like any other cruise ship. The Wipeout Cafe (aft by the Flowriders) has ocean facing outdoor seating, and the enitre sports deck is open air as well.

There is a not-very-well-known sun deck on the "roof" of the bridge that gives you a "Captain's eye view". You have to walk through a cabin hallway to get out there, but it's worth the trip. Especially during sail-aways.

But my favorite place to sit and "ocean watch" is the Viking Crown Lounge. It's at the very top of the ship and wraps around the front of the funnel. From there you get great views of the pool deck, Central Park down below, and a panoramic view of the sea. The VCL is my favorite place to sit and relax when I'm on a RCI ship.

Isnt the VCL only reserved for VIP or special guests??

You may want to check into the brand new CCL Breeze. It has more "kid stuff" than the Dream, and is probably cheaper for a Christmas 8 day sailing than Epic or Allure. (we are booked on it already for 12/22/12) I The skywalk ropes course looks fun, and their waterworks is pretty good also, as are their basketball/volleyball court and mini golf. (we enjoyed Dream and are looking forward to sailing on one of the other mega-ships some day!)

Tapi, read your review also and agree with you and DarthGrady that the Allure/Oasis is an experience not to be missed. However, I still love Carnival and will continue to cruise on Carnival for my cruising fix. We will book the Allure in the future for a different experience in the next year or two just to have that experience once more...lol.

To the OP: Was your Allure experience different than any of your other RCCL or NCL ones? From what I have read, even faithful RCCL cruisers found the Allure to be very different from their cruises on other RCCL ships.

Personally, other than the Oasis of the Seas cruise, we have found that all the lines (CCL, Princess, RCCL and NCL ) are more alike than they are different.

We have been on the Dream twice and enjoyed both very much. Of course we did not travel with children but have read that Camp Carnival is very popular with children and never found any children running around or acting bored on the ship. Port Canaveral is a very good port to cruise too.:D

Isnt the VCL only reserved for VIP or special guests??

No, it's open to everyone. In the daytime it's usually pretty empty, but a great place to sit and relax or read. They will occasionally cordon off a section of it for special events, like the "Diamond event" on ships without a dedicated Diamond Lounge. On some ships they even have live music up there or use it as a dance club at night.

OP, thanks for starting this thread so that DarthGrady posted. Because of this thread, I clicked on his link to the Allure.

Grady, thank you so much for your pictorial review of the Allure. You did a wonderful job! I just spent a few hours reading and viewing all 20 pages...lol. We were on the Oasis in February and loved it! Even though we have loved all of our cruises, the one on the Oasis was one in a lifetime experience. So different! It was nice viewing your pictures. Very similar to the Oasis with only a few differences. We had always wanted to try the Allure but when we saw a really good deal on he Oasis in February, we jumped on it and were we ever glad we did. We will watch for one for the Allure. We thought it would be another year or two before the prices go down but we found one for the Oasis this year.

My favorite spot was in Central Park. I could have sat there all day but there was too much else to see and do on the ship...lol

I'm posting here as it is more current than your other thread.

Edit: oh great, now I'll have to go and read Tapi's....lol

Tapi, read your review also and agree with you and DarthGrady that the Allure/Oasis is an experience not to be missed. However, I still love Carnival and will continue to cruise on Carnival for my cruising fix. We will book the Allure in the future for a different experience in the next year or two just to have that experience once more...lol.

To the OP: Was your Allure experience different than any of your other RCCL or NCL ones? From what I have read, even faithful RCCL cruisers found the Allure to be very different from their cruises on other RCCL ships.

Personally, other than the Oasis of the Seas cruise, we have found that all the lines (CCL, Princess, RCCL and NCL ) are more alike than they are different.

We have been on the Dream twice and enjoyed both very much. Of course we did not travel with children but have read that Camp Carnival is very popular with children and never found any children running around or acting bored on the ship. Port Canaveral is a very good port to cruise too.:D

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the review! I still love cruising with CCL too, even after being on Allure. We have been sailing with RCI more lately, just to get D+. Once we get there, I think we'll be doing more of an even mix again.

Archived