Swiss knife or pocket knife??

Patsie47

Any problem bringing these on board? I have a friend who had a problem on Celebrity because he had a Swiss knife. Not sure if it was in his pocket or luggage.

Question, can you carry a Swiss knife in your luggage?

Thank you

Pat

Edited by Patsie47

Definitely put it in your checked luggage. They took mine away couple years ago (HAL Security) and I did not see it till end of voyage. Blade was 3 inches. What is funny is as I sat down in the MDR, they gave me a sharp, nice size steak knife :cool:

Yes, put it in you checked baggage, you should have no problem.. Do not go thru check in on dock with one. Pretty much think it would get taken away. I carry a straight razor with me but always pack it in checked baggage, never any trouble.

Edited by PathfinderEss

Yes, put it in you checked baggage, you should have no problem.. Do not go thru check in on dock with one. Pretty much think it would get taken away. I carry a straight razor with me but always pack it in checked baggage, never any trouble.

I've been meaning to find an answer about whether one can bring their straight razor onto the ship. I've heard yes and no, both from HAL, even though my razor's blade is under 4". Don't want to bring it and have it confiscated. So, my TA said to bring a safety razor instead just in case the straight razor is not allowed, despite the rules. Not sure how my skin will react to that.... :(

And what is the difference whether it's in your carry-on or checked luggage on the ship? You still get your bags/luggage in the cabin and have the item with you in the end. So why the difference? I'm going on my first cruise (ever) in less than two weeks and plan on having no checked luggage but about 3-4 carry-ons. I'm packing a Leatherman tool with me, would HAL Security confiscate that during the x-ray scanning???

Thanks!

I agree with Gibbs. I always have my swiss army knife in my checked luggage. I can't think of how many bottles of wine it has opened. The larger knifes are really a tool box with pliers, scissors, screw drivers, etc. Things have changed over the years. We visited Finland about 10 years ago. I purchased a Puko hunting knife and brought it on board in its package that went through the xray machine. No one said a thing about it. We used to go through airport security with pocket knifes no problem. That was a different time and I fear we will never return to those days.

I have read several posts where a leatherman tool was prohibited. One person stated it was because of the pliers! Apparently the tool has potential to be used in a devious way.....

I would not recommend taking any kind of knife, although you may get it on board.

Even a dive knife is not allowed in your posession, I think they keep custody of it except when you are on your dive.

By the way it's not so much Celebrity that prohibits or allows items as the TSA

By the way it's not so much Celebrity that prohibits or allows items as the TSA

I am not so sure that TSA is involved in screening for cruise ships.

From the TSA website:

We are your neighbors, friends and relatives. We are 50,000 security officers, inspectors, directors, air marshals and managers who protect the nation's transportation systems so you and your family can travel safely. We look for bombs at checkpoints in airports, we inspect rail cars, we patrol subways with our law enforcement partners, and we work to make all modes of transportation safe.

Edited by Boytjie

Again though, what is the EXACT difference between carrying something in your carry-on or your checked luggage? And not the difference of how it gets on the ship, but security wise?

Either way, the item gets to your cabin, whether its carry-on or checked. So, if a knife is restricted, they take it if it's in your carry-on. But! If you have it in your checked luggage, it's not taken away BUT still winds up in your cabin!

So, why are there two separate regulations it seems with luggage? I know TSA scans/x-rays all checked luggage, but I guess cruise lines do not x-ray checked luggage but only carry-ons?

My larger question is how is it fine with security to take prohibited items aboard if it happens to be in checked luggage but confiscated or held if in carry-on?

I guess it all boils down to lax security procedures? Security only happens to check carry-ons while checked luggage is just taken straight from the pier onto the cruise and then distributed from there to cabins without screening?

Bear in mind, none of this is in regards to TSA or airplanes, ONLY in regards to cruise ships.

Again though, what is the EXACT difference between carrying something in your carry-on or your checked luggage? And not the difference of how it gets on the ship, but security wise?

Either way, the item gets to your cabin, whether its carry-on or checked. So, if a knife is restricted, they take it if it's in your carry-on. But! If you have it in your checked luggage, it's not taken away BUT still winds up in your cabin!

So, why are there two separate regulations it seems with luggage? I know TSA scans/x-rays all checked luggage, but I guess cruise lines do not x-ray checked luggage but only carry-ons?

My larger question is how is it fine with security to take prohibited items aboard if it happens to be in checked luggage but confiscated or held if in carry-on?

I guess it all boils down to lax security procedures? Security only happens to check carry-ons while checked luggage is just taken straight from the pier onto the cruise and then distributed from there to cabins without screening?

Bear in mind, none of this is in regards to TSA or airplanes, ONLY in regards to cruise ships.

I do not think the OP is talking about taking a prohibited item on. A knife or sharp blade 4" or less is ok.

From the Know before you go:

Please Note: Firearms, explosives, fireworks, other weapons and knives or sharp blades over four inches long and illegal drugs of any kind are prohibited without exception

Edited by kenevenpar

I know TSA scans/x-rays all checked luggage, but I guess cruise lines do not x-ray checked luggage but only carry-ons?

To my knowledge, checked luggage is x-rayed before it's loaded on the ship. There was a cruise ages ago when I didn't find my luggage until I returned to the cabin to go to bed the first night. The checked luggage couldn't be x-rayed at the port, and had to be trucked somewhere else. That delayed everything.

I don't know that it is TSA scanning carry-ons, either. It's done by a security service, certainly, but not necessarily TSA.

I hear ya! It's all going to your cabin, so why the fuss with the carry-on? I've never tested the system, but a friend inadvertently did. In a port in Italy, she bought a letter opener with a beautiful piece of blown glass for a handle. When her shopping bags were x-rayed, the letter opener was confiscated, and she was told she could claim it at the end of the cruise. The next day she got a message to go to the front desk to claim her "item." It was the letter opener. So it was dangerous one day, and OK to have the next... :confused:

I just mentioned that my Swiss Knife is always in my checked luggage - only because that is where I packed it when I flew to my embarkation destination. :) I don't believe it matters boarding a ship whether it is in carry-on or check luggage.

Why would you think cruise lines only scan carry-ons but not checked luggage? :confused:

When I first board the ship, my small Swiss pocket knife (1.5" blade) is in my checked bag. After that, it is in my pocket. I have gone on and off the ships many times with the knife in my pocket with no problems. Granted, I have only been on three ships, but still no problems.

I think Checked vs Walk-on in port is the real issue here.

Like many I like to have a pocket knife but I do not mind putting it in my checked luggage for boarding.

Now when I get to a port it is a different matter, Alaska next month, what do I do there when I actually might need a pocket knife on a shore excursion or while hiking?

If it is allowed on board shouldn't there actually be a way to walk on board with it in my pocket thru the TSA checkpoint ?

I think Checked vs Walk-on in port is the real issue here.

Like many I like to have a pocket knife but I do not mind putting it in my checked luggage for boarding.

Now when I get to a port it is a different matter, Alaska next month, what do I do there when I actually might need a pocket knife on a shore excursion or while hiking?

If it is allowed on board shouldn't there actually be a way to walk on board with it in my pocket thru the TSA checkpoint ?

I do believe you mean the pier/cruise line checkpoint and not the actual TSA checkpoint at the airport, correct? TSA would not likely allow that on for the air flight.

But, you do hit the idea/question I'm trying to address. How is it allowed on board but confiscated at the carry-on checkpoint? But, you can easily get it on board via checked luggage, which leads to the checked luggage having a lax security procedure over the carry-on checkpoint.

My point being that that certain items are allowed on board the cruise, but only through checked luggage and not carry-on (either through trickery or other). Despite the fact that both types of luggage end up in the same location (your cabin), therefore making null some of the security procedures at carry-on checkpoint over checked luggage.

I am not so sure that TSA is involved in screening for cruise ships.

From the TSA website:

We are your neighbors, friends and relatives. We are 50,000 security officers, inspectors, directors, air marshals and managers who protect the nation's transportation systems so you and your family can travel safely. We look for bombs at checkpoints in airports, we inspect rail cars, we patrol subways with our law enforcement partners, and we work to make all modes of transportation safe.

I just went through uniformed security on Maui (not ship's personnel) reboarding the ship after an excursion and they wanted to look under my hat. How did they know that's where I keep my explosives? :p