Sea Princess has MUTS

can786

Actually, they may have scheduled a priority meeting as soon as they read over this thread to keep the small minority of loyal passengers happy who want it.

No, I think they spend their time thinking up new ways to separate people from their money while keeping costs down. What was it P. T. Barnum said? There's a sucker born every minute...

If that's the case, why continue to cruise with Princess when there are plenty of other lines out there?

Don't think we're not looking. We have already given up on the 7-day Caribbean cruises for a variety of reaons. And, we're giving thought to land-based AI's.

We've got a cruise in about 3 months that we are very excited about. There is still a lot of good to cruising, and what attracted us to Princess was how well they carried the job off. If they keep it up, MUTS or no MUTS, no problem. If they don't...as you have said, there are other options.

Don't get it.

Perhaps that is because you did not cruise with Princess prior to 2004? Our 2001 Grand Princess cruise was a very different cruising experience compared to the Caribbean Princess 2004 cruise. The 2001 cruise was geared towards couples while the 2004 cruise was geared towards families. IMO, Princess has turned (or is turning) from a couple's vacation destination into a family vacation destination.

We will give Princess one more chance to prove us wrong by taking a cruise on the Coral Princess. We're hoping that by doing a 10 day cruise we'll be able to escape the family oriented mass-market feel of the Caribbean Princess.

Perhaps that is because you did not cruise with Princess prior to 2004? Our 2001 Grand Princess cruise was a very different cruising experience compared to the Caribbean Princess 2004 cruise. The 2001 cruise was geared towards couples while the 2004 cruise was geared towards families. IMO, Princess has turned (or is turning) from a couple's vacation destination into a family vacation destination.

We will give Princess one more chance to prove us wrong by taking a cruise on the Coral Princess. We're hoping that by doing a 10 day cruise we'll be able to escape the family oriented mass-market feel of the Caribbean Princess.

Agree! I do have Diamond Princess 7 day, with kids probably. But, the two after are 14 day Sea Princess, and 10 day Tahitian Princess. The TP will have 0 to maybe a couple of kids! Too bad it's so far, and expensive. Perfect itinerary, though!

So, my take is like some of you others, take longer Princess cruises, or not just to the eastern or western Caribbean! Those seem to draw the most families, which it seems Princess is trying to attract. As I've said, I prefer not too many kids, as one never knows when unruly ones will be onboard!

(BTW, lest you think I'm a child hater, I am assistant soccer coach to 4th graders! I am enjoying it very much, as the kids will listen and try to work for us. :) ) Also, maybe that will prove I'm not too old to have fun, whether on a cruise, or with families! Just want them separate at times! ;)

I really don't think its a case of Princess trying to grab the families as much as trying to grab and keep market share, period. Bottom line is the almighty dollar and there is heavy duty competition in the Caribbean. They have to have an overall product and not just to a certain market. It's rough out there now, so many newbuilds, everyone wanting a piece of the action.

They've built some big ships and can't fill them with just couples, doesn't make sense.

Some things sound good in theory, i.e., adults only, but bottom line, again the dollar, they need to make money and fill the ships, which is why pricing dropped in the first place. They wanted to get people onboard, then the nickel and diming started, then people started complaing about getting less, it is one very vicious circle with no end in sight probably!

I'm on the Sea Princess in September for 21 days, have not cruised Princess since Thanksgiving 2002 so I am anxious to see how things have changed, how I like it. I sail single and I loved my Golden cruise at Thanksgiving, it was great seeing all the families together. Can't say I'd want to do that all the time but it was fine. I did cruise on Costa during Spring break once and that will never be repeated, ever!

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in, just my take, I could be all wrong, not trying to argue, just the way I see it!

Susie

I did cruise on Costa during Spring break once and that will never be repeated, ever!

Susie

susancruz...about Costa..was it the kids or was it the cruiseline...or both? I have been tempted to try Costa because of some of their itineraries.

...........Something tells me maybe some folks are getting too old for cruising and need to take a land vacation.

QUOTE]

I don't like the MUTS and I am definatly not old!! I resent that you would imply that only people that are old wouldn't like it. And why should I be forced to take a land vacation. I grew up on boats and ships not sitting by a pool in Florida!!

We were on the CP this past Feb. A group of 23 of us. We enjoyed watching a movie late at night all together. My husband liked watching during the day while I read. It was alot of fun.:) Going on the Golden next Feb. We all hope they put it on that ship.

:confused: Has it been decided by Princess for sure that MUTS will be onboard the Sea Princess? This is the first I have heard anything about it? We don't care one way or the other but was wondering what all the fuss was about in reference to MUTS? We love all the production shows and try to make it to all they offer onboard. Adding the movies would be fine with us as long as they don 't cut the other live entertainment or substitute the movies to replace the traditional entertainment we have always enjoyed. We love to cruise with Princess and our last cruise on the Sun was wonderful. It had few days at sea and a busy port itineary to keep us moving the whole time. We thought the median age group was probably around 50 and that was good for us.There were very few kids but we like kids so that won't bother us at all. We are 52 and 56 so we are usually right in the middle on age groups.

We can't wait for the 14 Day cruise next year on the Sea Princess and will love to hear from all of you sailing before us for your opinions and updates on the ship that we have heard good things about.

7_6_4.gif

Princess missed the boat on this muts thing. They should be renting waterproof wireless headphone's for all of the muts offering's and selling the lyric's to all of the sing along's in a special pay for Patter. :mad: :D

cruzzers,

I have a photo off of another cruise web site that shows the Sea Princess does have the MUTs installed. I tried to upload it but the file is to large. Unfortunately I do not know how to reduce the size.

In five months I will let you know how it is. I am keeping an open mind and look forward to another new experience.

Ron

Where is bdjam when we need him? He always seems to have a logical answer to these illogical comments. This being his pet Princess subject. ;)

BTW, even though I am going on the Sea next Nov., I cetainly did not, and would not, choose this ship, because of MUTS. I also won't cancel, because it was added on. I can hope it isn't too intrusive. The itinerary is pretty intensive, so will be touring during most days. I was on the Sea 3 years ago. I thought it was a very nice ship, easy to get around. Personal Choice dining was new, and was our choice. Hopefully I will enjoy as much as before! :)

Lauren and I are in that younger generation...X I think we were labeled. We have no desire to go on a cruise only to be slammed with more television screens and loud blaring movies out in the public spaces. Give me real music without that synthesized crap any day. And as for the movies, keep them inside tucked away on deck 2 where no one can find them. I booked the CP because it fit the month we could take our vacation and we wanted to try Princess rather than RCI. Sure, I know MUTS is not going to go away, so I’ll deal with it. Yes, at this stage of our lives we prefer the larger ships and the additional public spaces. Sure I don't love it, but I don't think it will ultimately ruin my cruise. I’m just glad Princess has the many pools for us to enjoy as well as the adult only areas.

However, It's sick today to see how parents shove their kids in front of televisions as a temporary babysitting solution. If that's not bad enough you have those who can't seem to keep their headphones, IPODS, and any other electrical devices off their heads for five minutes--Heaven forbid you actually interact with another human being. A little off topic, but don't use age to place someone out of touch. We are by no means old, but a cruise is one of the last vacations where I always felt the ability to escape from normality and that MTV garbage.

And as for tolerance and open-mindedness, that's just a word corporations and politicians use for you to drink their kool-aid...enjoy. If we can tolerate 1 MUTS screen then maybe in five years we can tolerate all 4 pools having MUTS. Princess and RCI went from luxury lines to Mass Market lines because people were willing tolerate each change. Where does tolerance stop?

Stepping down now...really :D

It's really sad that as soon as one posts a different point of view, one is immeadiately labled - IE: too old to cruise.

Furthermore, it isn't that I can't find a non-MUTS place to sit and relax, the problem is why should I have to? I can sit on my balcony in utter quiet but I like to interact with others. Meeting new people is high on my list of enjoyments. I can think for myself and don't need the constant companionship of MUTS or TV or cell phones.

Lauren and I are in that younger generation...X I think we were labeled. We have no desire to go on a cruise only to be slammed with more television screens and loud blaring movies out in the public spaces. Give me real music without that synthesized crap any day. And as for the movies, keep them inside tucked away on deck 2 where no one can find them. I booked the CP because it fit the month we could take our vacation and we wanted to try Princess rather than RCI. Sure, I know MUTS is not going to go away, so I’ll deal with it. Yes, at this stage of our lives we prefer the larger ships and the additional public spaces. Sure I don't love it, but I don't think it will ultimately ruin my cruise. I’m just glad Princess has the many pools for us to enjoy as well as the adult only areas.

However, It's sick today to see how parents shove their kids in front of televisions as a temporary babysitting solution. If that's not bad enough you have those who can't seem to keep their headphones, IPODS, and any other electrical devices off their heads for five minutes--Heaven forbid you actually interact with another human being. A little off topic, but don't use age to place someone out of touch. We are by no means old, but a cruise is one of the last vacations where I always felt the ability to escape from normality and that MTV garbage.

And as for tolerance and open-mindedness, that's just a word corporations and politicians use for you to drink their kool-aid...enjoy. If we can tolerate 1 MUTS screen then maybe in five years we can tolerate all 4 pools having MUTS. Princess and RCI went from luxury lines to Mass Market lines because people were willing tolerate each change. Where does tolerance stop?

My point exactly. Thanks for stating it so well.

A little off topic, but don't use age to place someone out of touch. We are by no means old, but a cruise is one of the last vacations where I always felt the ability to escape from normality and that MTV garbage

I would hope it's not MTV garbage that is played...if that's the case, I may form negative opinions before I even experience it (which is against my nature). Are you stating it's MTV from your experience, or are you guessing?

Beautifully stated. Thank you.

cruzzers,

I have a photo off of another cruise web site that shows the Sea Princess does have the MUTs installed. I tried to upload it but the file is to large. Unfortunately I do not know how to reduce the size.

In five months I will let you know how it is. I am keeping an open mind and look forward to another new experience.

Ron

23_29_124.gif Skybuffalo..We would love to hear from you after you travel on the Sea Princess this year. (or anyone else for that matter) We will be on in Feb so please email us your review and let us know what you think. Our email address is lewisbunch@msn.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

We were able to pull up a live web cam and see the movie screen on the Sea Princess so we are looking forward to seeing what that is like. This will be a new experience for us to look forward to on Princess!

23_28_112.gif

Where is bdjam when we need him? He always seems to have a logical answer to these illogical comments. This being his pet Princess subject. ;)

QUOTE]

He is enjoying the MUTS free Island Princess right now ;)

Scott

My family (wife and 2 daughters, 14 and 11) is scheduled to be on the Sea Princess on May 28, 2005 (only four weeks away...yahoo). We sailed on the Caribbean Princess with MUTS last year and I can't say that anybody in my family paid much attention to it. It's just another entertainment option that can be ignored or avoided altogether if that is what you want. I expect the same on the Sea Princess...I'll let you know if it is different.

The most important thing on the cruise is meeting happy and nice people with a positive outlook on life and a willingness to share a little of themselves with us. We have shared dinner with wonderful people, with whom I enjoyed every minute of our conservation. I have suffered the opposite as well. My children are aware that some adults are not inclined to like children; my children are accepting of this unfortunate behavior. If you don't want to sit with a family or be with children during your dinner, just tell the maitre'd; we won't be insulted. The same is true for MUTS; if you don't want to look at it or be around it, do your best to avoid it....that's what we do when presented with unpleasant circumstances.

Exactly my thoughts... Thanks for stating it so well...

QUOTE]

He is enjoying the MUTS free Island Princess right now ;)

Scott

Ahhh, I should've known he wasn't around! :D Lucky guy!!!! :)

BTW, TheParrotHeads, I agree, exactly! Thanks for your post!

My family (wife and 2 daughters, 14 and 11) is scheduled to be on the Sea Princess on May 28, 2005 (only four weeks away...yahoo). We sailed on the Caribbean Princess with MUTS last year and I can't say that anybody in my family paid much attention to it. It's just another entertainment option that can be ignored or avoided altogether if that is what you want. I expect the same on the Sea Princess...I'll let you know if it is different.

The most important thing on the cruise is meeting happy and nice people with a positive outlook on life and a willingness to share a little of themselves with us. We have shared dinner with wonderful people, with whom I enjoyed every minute of our conservation. I have suffered the opposite as well. My children are aware that some adults are not inclined to like children; my children are accepting of this unfortunate behavior. If you don't want to sit with a family or be with children during your dinner, just tell the maitre'd; we won't be insulted. The same is true for MUTS; if you don't want to look at it or be around it, do your best to avoid it....that's what we do when presented with unpleasant circumstances.

We have older children now but cruising was the best way to travel with our kids when they were younger. We made many happy memories on cruises together and hope that when we have grandchildren, we will be able to cruise together with them as well. We still enjoy watching the younger generation have a good time, weather it be on a cruise or in our neighborhood playing together.

Please post back with us and let us know how the cruise went for your family. We are really looking forward to sailing on the Sea Princess next winter, so a brief review would be appreciated.

7_6_4.gif

Don't know why some insist that there is only one pool on the sun class ships when they know this is not true.
Come on, roe2ship, you can't honestly tell me that there's another pool on Sun Class ships that replaces the midships pools, both of which are now impacted by MUTS. I'm neither pro- nor anti-MUTS, but I think it's a huge stretch to suggest that the aft pool or splash pool is a suitable replacement.

User Keitaro over on CruiseTalk found the following two images of Sea Princess with MUTS on ShipSpotting.com:

(Side) http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=56251

(Aft) http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=56253

We used to sail Princess exclusively, back in the early '90s. We loved the line. When they started to switch direction back in the mid '90s we started sending our cruising dollars elsewhere. We are coming back to Princess this summer due to a strange set of circumstances, but we are looking forward to seeing how the Princess product has changed since our last voyage on Sun Princess in 2001. Unfortunately Golden won't have MUTS by then, as I wanted to experience it first hand.

Archived