Sea Princess has MUTS

can786

From the photos, that MUTS system looks huge. Too bad, I used to love that ship. Funny, since this ship is slated for 14 day cruises, why put the more family friendly system on this ship? Wouldn't it have been better suited for another grand class like the Star or Golden and leave the smaller ships alone for those that want a more classic Princess experience?

Was on the Sea Princess Fll to San Diego in 2001. I just checked my review of that fifteen day cruise and this is what I had to say about the pool area. "The main pool area is the best I have ever seen. We never had a problem finding deck chairs. The steel drum band, playing songs of the Caribbean and Calypso, can keep you mesmerized for some time. This is just one of many happy places on board that make this ship one of the best".

As for MUTTS: I hope by the time we board the Sea Princess next March Princess will have changed their mind about activating MUTTS during the daylight hours. If not, they should change the name to MUTTSS - "Movies under the sun and stars"

While relaxing in the pool area I would much rather listen to Calypso than the squacking of Daffy Duck.

:confused: Has it been decided by Princess for sure that MUTS will be onboard the Sea Princess? This is the first I have heard anything about it?
In addition to the two photos that have been posted by jsea in post number 100, have a look at the picture at post number 6 in this thread, which was taken when the ship was still in dry dock at the beginning of last week.

From the photos, that MUTS system looks huge. Too bad, I used to love that ship. Funny, since this ship is slated for 14 day cruises, why put the more family friendly system on this ship? Wouldn't it have been better suited for another grand class like the Star or Golden and leave the smaller ships alone for those that want a more classic Princess experience?

I'm in agreement with this, also! Makes more sense, than to jam up the smaller ship, one not now slated for 7 day, family friendly cruises! :rolleyes: :(

I guess I have a little different take on why Princess would put MUTS on Sea Princess, especially since they haven't announced it for any of the other Sun Class ships. Note that as Sea Princess returns to the fleet that it is doing almost exclusively 14 day cruises throughout the year. In the Summer it's the Mediterranen from Southhampton (to compete with P& O!), and in the Winter it's 14 day cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to the Carribbean. In both cases they are marketing heavily to the British market. In fact, in the Carribbean, you can board Sea Princess in Barbados as well as Ft. Lauderdale (and there are direct flights from London to Barbados to make this easy). It is the norm in Britain to have a 14 day "holiday" (vacation to you and me).

With exclusively 14 day cruises, they have a little entertainment challenge. The same comedian 4 or 8 times during 14 days might begin to be a bit much, and with the limited production space, 8 "floor shows" with sets and dancers probably won't fit either. So I think they are trying to offer another "entertainment venue" to pick up for the 14 days since they really can't remodel the ship and carve out more entertainment space anywhere else.

That being said, I haven't been on a ship with MUTS, but it at least sounds like fun to me for an evening. Since Sea/Sun/Dawn have lots of balcony cabins, and you can always sit there instead of up on the Riviera deck. We've often found our balconies on Sea/Sun to be a little more sheltered than up on top anyway. I think people forget too that on the open pool deck, there's always been pool games, contests, and bands that play so it's not always as quiet as the library I work at! And yes, Grand Class has the solarium pools which are quiet if you want that, so that's already an alternative.

Thanks

Norm

Note that as Sea Princess returns to the fleet that it is doing almost exclusively 14 day cruises throughout the year.
Ironically, in Princess' promotional video for MUTS, they explain how the system will be installed on their '7-day Caribbean fleet' or something to that effect.

So, there's a bit of confusion! It seems that MUTS on the Sea isn't what may have been originally planned. Or, maybe they were going to do something, other than 14 day cruises, and the itineraries changed! Either way, it's not ideal! :) Hrmph! :(

I was just looking at some up close pictures of the Sea Princess taken right after she got out of dry dock. The MUTS looks a little odd to me but even more strange was the Sea Witch on the funnel, does not look like the one Sea Princess had before she became Adonia. I don't care for this new version as well as the old one.

As far as MUTS up on the funnel, I guess it will have to grow on me.

Susie

The MUTS looks a little odd to me but even more strange was the Sea Witch on the funnel, does not look like the one Sea Princess had before she became Adonia. I don't care for this new version as well as the old one.
I agree.

The one on Sea Princess appears to be one piece of metal without even the spaces between her hair cut out. It lacks any depth or texture. Very cheap, in my opinion. I wonder if it's permanent.

Sea Princess prior to sailing for P&O to compare:

Pre-Adonia

It should be interesting to hear the reviews after some have actually experienced a cruise aboard the Sea Princess. MUTS or no MUTS, a cruise is a cruise and all of us here certainly love to do that. Lets hope this is just a good thing they have done to give us one more activity to enjoy while on board, while not taking away any of the traditional entertainment we expect and love about Princess.

7_17_2.gif

Speaking from first hand experience, (having sailed on the Caribbean Princess with Muts), I did not object to it, but it was quite intrusive during the day while lounging by the pool. I did not object totally because there were other areas where I could go. Having sailed eight times on the Sun Class ships, I speak from experience when I state it will be a very poor choice for the Sea Princess. We are booked for a fourteen day cruise on Sea Princess in January, 2006. Will still sail and have a good time, but I am very sorry to hear they have installed Muts on her. The small aft pool doesn't have the same appeal as the larger pool area. Music playing is quite different from the sounds emitted from the soundtrack of a movie. Hope Princess will reconsider their decision of placing Muts on all their ships.

He is enjoying the MUTS free Island Princess right now ;)

Thanks for covering for me…yes, I am back from enjoying an entirely excellent MUTS-free vacation on Island Princess. Let me just say that without experiencing the actual thing, I can tell you that what my 15 days on Island Princess brought me would have not been improved with a big screen TV blaring at me at poolside.

MUTS on Sea Princess is just wrong. Besides, look at what the growth does to the line of the ship. Sea Princess was not meant to have a tumor growing on the forward part of her funnel.

I know I won’t change the mind of those who feel since I haven’t experienced MUTS I shouldn’t have an opinion, but it was nice to converse with people from all over the world around the pool without something blaring at us. I think if people on board had been hypnotized by MUTS, the relationships I formed with some of them would not have taken place. But I would venture to say that since we’re talking about Sea Princess and MUTS, those who have only sailed Princess entry level ships might consider the saying about the pot calling the kettle black – there doesn’t seem to be a way for these people to judge MUTS if the same “must experience it or it doesn’t count” criteria applies.

And for those who think because I don’t like MUTS I’m either old, too traditional or too stuck in the past, I would suggest you might find a more applicable argument. Obviously you have no tools with which to debate and no facts to back up your argument, so you resort to pointing fingers and calling names.

MUTS will not go to the full Princess fleet no matter what some might think…if Princess is going to continue with its “Personal Choice” cruising options – and the “choice” includes itineraries and ships – they will not stick MUTS on all of their ships. Nor will the small ships go away. Neither is MUTS favored by the majority of Princess passengers - there are no facts to prove that. But to those of you who like the contraption, I would ask that you continue to flock to the MUTS equipped ships – the more you sail these high-revenue, mass market mega-liners, the more they will subsidize Princess’ continued sailing of the smaller MUTS-less ships and the happier I will be.

Thanks for covering for me…yes, I am back from enjoying an entirely excellent MUTS-free vacation on Island Princess. Let me just say that without experiencing the actual thing, I can tell you that what my 15 days on Island Princess brought me would have not been improved with a big screen TV blaring at me at poolside.

MUTS on Sea Princess is just wrong. Besides, look at what the growth does to the line of the ship. Sea Princess was not meant to have a tumor growing on the forward part of her funnel.

I know I won’t change the mind of those who feel since I haven’t experienced MUTS I shouldn’t have an opinion, but it was nice to converse with people from all over the world around the pool without something blaring at us. I think if people on board had been hypnotized by MUTS, the relationships I formed with some of them would not have taken place. But I would venture to say that since we’re talking about Sea Princess and MUTS, those who have only sailed Princess entry level ships might consider the saying about the pot calling the kettle black – there doesn’t seem to be a way for these people to judge MUTS if the same “must experience it or it doesn’t count” criteria applies.

And for those who think because I don’t like MUTS I’m either old, too traditional or too stuck in the past, I would suggest you might find a more applicable argument. Obviously you have no tools with which to debate and no facts to back up your argument, so you resort to pointing fingers and calling names.

MUTS will not go to the full Princess fleet no matter what some might think…if Princess is going to continue with its “Personal Choice” cruising options – and the “choice” includes itineraries and ships – they will not stick MUTS on all of their ships. Nor will the small ships go away. Neither is MUTS favored by the majority of Princess passengers - there are no facts to prove that. But to those of you who like the contraption, I would ask that you continue to flock to the MUTS equipped ships – the more you sail these high-revenue, mass market mega-liners, the more they will subsidize Princess’ continued sailing of the smaller MUTS-less ships and the happier I will be.

Welcome back bdjam! I just knew you'd have a sensible response to this thread! Thanks for your reply! :)

bdjam...Chill out...surely there are more serious problems around than MUTS????

Bdjam is just stating his opinion about MUTS on the Sea Princess.. If you look at the pic, it is an eyesore. If you look at the deck plan where MUTS is located, there is no other pool area where you can swim and relax in a relatively quiet area. I can see his concern and agree with it..

How about we let the moderators decide when someone needs to chill out? As has often been stated here, we all have a right to express our opinions - and discuss them. Just because someone might disagree with you today doesn't mean they'd be the first to help you with something else tomorrow. Let's not throw up barriers to each other to prevent that happening.

How about we let the moderators decide when someone needs to chill out? As has often been stated here, we all have a right to express our opinions - and discuss them. Just because someone might disagree with you today doesn't mean they'd be the first to help you with something else tomorrow. Let's not throw up barriers to each other to prevent that happening.
Agreed. This is Cruise CRITIC, not a board about life's serious issues. Merely because someone can put together a coherent argument against why he would not like MUTS does not mean that he needs to 'chill'.

bdjam wrote: "I know I won’t change the mind of those who feel since I haven’t experienced MUTS I shouldn’t have an opinion, but it was nice to converse with people from all over the world around the pool without something blaring at us."

Not trying to change your mind about MUTS, bdjam, but I'd like to clarify something about this specific statement for those who have not decided yet.

You can certainly converse with people while MUTS is playing, speaking from experience. We were able to talk, just as you would if a pool band was playing. Also, we only saw one film there during the day, and we had no problem communicating while it was on. The rest of the time it was just music playing while underwater scenes showed on the big screen.

Pool band or MUTS, the volume was not an issue in being able to relax and talk to fellow passengers.

Jbern6.....Do let us know what you think of the MUTS on board the Sea Princess since you will be on to experience it first hand. We have awhile to go before we sail so we would be interested in more than just speculation about how good or bad it is.

We just love to cruise and don't think it will cause us any distress one way or the other. It will be interesting to hear the reviews from those who actually sail on the Sea Princess to report back to all of us so if we feel it will be a horrible experience because of the MUTS, we can change our reservations to another ship or cruise line. Not very likely to happen for us but others may want to consider doing that.

7_6_4.gif Hoping we will all have a great cruise experience!

There are many more serious problems in the world – and the world of cruising for that matter – than MUTS, you’re absolutely correct. I didn’t think we were discussing all of them here. If you feel that I’m passionate about MUTS, you should see me go on more important matters.
Merely because someone can put together a coherent argument against why he would not like MUTS does not mean that he needs to 'chill'
Thanks, jsea…
Pool band or MUTS, the volume was not an issue in being able to relax and talk to fellow passengers
No – and I didn’t mean to say it was. I meant that if my fellow passengers are all caught up in TV, I’m going to be a little less eager to interrupt their attention with my banter. And from what I understand, MUTS plays pretty much continuously. The pool band doesn’t.

Jbern6.....Do let us know what you think of the MUTS on board the Sea Princess since you will be on to experience it first hand. We have awhile to go before we sail so we would be interested in more than just speculation about how good or bad it is.

We just love to cruise and don't think it will cause us any distress one way or the other. It will be interesting to hear the reviews from those who actually sail on the Sea Princess to report back to all of us so if we feel it will be a horrible experience because of the MUTS, we can change our reservations to another ship or cruise line. Not very likely to happen for us but others may want to consider doing that.

7_6_4.gif Hoping we will all have a great cruise experience!

My point exactly Cruzzers...I guess many of us are a little tired of multi opinions from the same people who have yet to experience MUTS. Those who have had the experience have stated their positive or negative views once, for the most part, and that is appreciated. I'll be sure to let you know our opinion after the cruise.

Archived