Sea Princess has MUTS

can786

WOW! All those negative comments from people who have not yet experienced MUTS. I believe I will reserve my comments (positive or negative) until I return from my Sea Princess cruise starting 20 Aug 05. Until then, I would appreciate reviews from people who can comment first hand on MUTS, having experienced it on a cruise.

Well said, thank you.

I personally have enjoyed MUTS when I was onboard the CB. The sound really doesn't bleed that much to other areas of the ship surprisingly. The other thing is that they don't exactly have it going constantly. There are certainly times when that area is peaceful and quiet. And yes, there are other pools albeit not ones that one could actually go for a swim in. When I was on the Sun, I'd have to say that they have music playing fairly loudly as often as they had movies/videos playing on MUTS, so that area isn't generally all that quiet. On the Sun the pool by the spa was the really quite area. I personally think that Princess won't be adding MUTS to all of its ships. After the original announcement about MUTS there has been no further mention of it being added to the other Grand class ships and I doubt that they'll add it to any other Sun class ships. So for everyone that is worried about it, I think you'll still have at least the Sun, Coral and Island to cruise on if you enjoy that class of ship.

WOW! All those negative comments from people who have not yet experienced MUTS. I believe I will reserve my comments (positive or negative) until I return from my Sea Princess cruise starting 20 Aug 05. Until then, I would appreciate reviews from people who can comment first hand on MUTS, having experienced it on a cruise.

jbern66,

I have experienced MUTS on the Caribbean Princess and found it just fine for that ship. As a matter of fact when we board her again in a few weeks one of the first things we will do is the reserve our chairs for one of the evening movies.

My only concern after 5 wonderful voyages on Sun Class ships is that it MAY compromise the pool area. Both pools on the Sea Princess are on Riviera Deck which means if they show movies and videos on MUTS during the day there will be no way to avoid it while sitting by the main pools.

The Caribbean Princess has many more pool choices than the Sun Class, that's all I'm saying.

Okay, I have experienced MUTS and I do not feel it has any place on a sun class ship. It is loud, it is on constantly, and all day they are showing OLD movies. At least on the Grand Class ships you can get away from it to some extent. On these smaller ships it will be in your face all day and all night long.

I've heard that one of the movies they show "under the stars" is a Wizard of Oz singalong. Does anyone know if that's true? I would actally look forward to that as it sounds like fun. For those of you who have ever been to a "Howl At the Moon" or "Jellyrolls" type night club where every sings along to songs that everyone knows the words to, it's a fun and almost religious experience. Other than going to church, people just don't sing much in public nowadays!

BobK/Orlando

Sea Princess 5/28/05

I've read some complaints about "music videos" being played all day on MUTS, but I was on the CB in Oct and spent a lot of time at the pool... I don't remember seeing ANY music videos! There were "cute" movies being played during the day such as "Grease"... "Saving Nemo"... "Splash"... etc

If there were music videos being played, it definintely wasn't very often! Perhaps between movies?

The only thing I saw that would resemble a music video was the Tina Turner concert, and some other concert (maybe Tom Jones?)... but both were played at night.

YES, there IS a Wizard of Oz sing along (complete with noise makers and props (such as bubbles to blow whenever it shows the good witch) for certain parts of the movies! It was really cute.

(Oh, and they have the words on the screen during the songs for those who don't know all the wording).

For the record, I think MUTS is great... not at all intrusive... very easy to get away from... I think its a great addition to Princess.

MUTS on a large ship with neophyte cruisers is an OK experience. MUTS on a Sun Class ship with only one pool is not... Really don't care about MUTS anyway.. I refuse to sail on ships that have them,,

WOW! All those negative comments from people who have not yet experienced MUTS.

I believe I have a right to my opinion that I will not like MUTS! I'm not much for watching movies, tv, music videos, period. So now, why would I want to watch them on my quiet, relaxing cruise???? :rolleyes: So, even though I haven't experienced it, I can see no reason why I'd like it! Can you, really? :eek:

I am booked on the Sea Princess, and will be unhappy if I can't find a quiet area ondeck, to lounge, read, and doze, if I so desire. It doesn't need to be by the pool, as I try to keep enough away from the band and noise anyway.

So, my opinion of MUTS stands, unproven, but unwavering. Don't need to experience something I don't care about in the first place! :)

WOW! All those negative comments from people who have not yet experienced MUTS.
If you hate TV (as I do) and MTV (as I do), and particularly if you hate TV-as-perennial-background-to-everything (as I do), I really don't think you need to have personally experienced daytime MTV-style music videos on board the MUTS-equipped ship to know that you will hate it.

I'm glad to hear that it might not be that bad. I will report back, in any event.

I've seen MUTS in both of its current installations - Caribbean Princess and Grand Princess.

The real problem with MUTS is that it isn't just Under The Stars, it starts around 9 AM. At least you can get away from it on the other ships. Sun-class ships don't have the same alternatives. So, what might be a good idea (or at least one that I can live with) on CB becomes a not-quite-as-good idea on Grand Princess. By extrapolation from my experience, it could be a terrible idea on Sea Princess. All my opinion of course.

If you hate TV (as I do) and MTV (as I do), and particularly if you hate TV-as-perennial-background-to-everything (as I do), I really don't think you need to have personally experienced daytime MTV-style music videos on board the MUTS-equipped ship to know that you will hate it.

Where are you guys getting this info that MUTS plays MTV Videos all day??

Like I posted earlier, I spent a lot of time at the pool and I saw them playing several movies... I didn't see any MTV music videos... Unless perhaps they played a few videos in between the movies??

From what I saw on the CB, I would never describe it as videos being played all day long... just some "fun" movies.

Where are you guys getting this info that MUTS plays MTV Videos all day??
There were posts to this effect right here on CC.

If they've stopped doing it, then as far as I'm concerned, so much the better. I'd still prefer it if the screen was off during the day and only used at night, but classic movies would be better than music videos.

If you don't think you will like MUTS, you won't (and probably wouldn't admit it if you did). If you think you're going to like MUTS, you probably will (although you will admit it if you don't). Like all cruise entertainment, not everyone likes everything. Personally, I LOVE cruising, everything about it. The sea days, the port days, the food, the entertainment, not having to cook, clean or do laundry for 2 weeks, being pampered, just everything. MUTS or no MUTS, as long as I'm on a cruise, I'm happy.:)

What is your definition of "daytime "fun" movies" ? :confused:

I listed them in my earlier post, but I'll list them again.

Some of the movies I saw playing during the daytime were:

Splash... Finding Nemo... Grease...

And I'm drawing a blank on the other ones... but you get the picture.

I listed them in my earlier post, but I'll list them again.

Some of the movies I saw playing during the daytime were:

Splash... Finding Nemo... Grease...

And I'm drawing a blank on the other ones... but you get the picture.

Wondering how many times one can enjoy these movies after they have been shown on regular TV at home over and over and over.. Myself, I can watch a few movies more than once.. unfortunately my wife cannot..

However it seems that many here are missing the point.. On the Grand Class ships there is another pool area where you can enjoy some quiet swimming. On the Sun Class ships there is not.. And don't tell me about the circular aft pool. I have been in it.. It is a bit larger than the hot tubs on each side but not much.

jmcruiserIf you don't think you will like MUTS, you won't (and probably wouldn't admit it if you did). If you think you're going to like MUTS, you probably will (although you will admit it if you don't). Like all cruise entertainment, not everyone likes everything. Personally, I LOVE cruising, everything about it. The sea days, the port days, the food, the entertainment, not having to cook, clean or do laundry for 2 weeks, being pampered, just everything. MUTS or no MUTS, as long as I'm on a cruise, I'm happy.:)

Wisely said! This Mutt agrees...

So much discussion about MUTS... on and on and on... Some of these posts I suspect are from people that said " I'll never use E-mail, the WEB, or an ATM, a few years ago. Technology marches on, and the addition of MUTS to the Princess fleet is refected of that statement. As all the cruise lines are actively targeting the 40-48 year old demographic (trust me, if your in that age bracket.. the deals are unreal), they need to add things like MUTS, wireless web connections, etc etc. which appeal to that market. I am right in the middle of that target demographic, and love MUTS. It's fun, and is somewhat a throw back to when we all went to drive-in movies. Thats why it's called Movies Under the Stars.. You cannot hear MUTS in your cabin (unless you sleep at night in a deck chair by the pool) and it does play music during the day with video like fish swiminning in a reef etc.

Whether MUTS is successful on not... time, and more specifically.... repeat ship bookings will determine. If you have not seen MUTS yet... go experience it.. and then vote as they say "with your wallet"...

I'm right in that 40-48 group, too, and I think MUTS on the Sea Princess is a poor decision. Princess' tag line is "Escape Completely". To me that means no e-mail, laptops, cell phones, or TV. It's just me, my wife, new and old friends, and the sea. I can get all the impedimenta of modern life everywhere else I go. Cruising is attractive because I can leave all that behind.

Is it modern technology or just modern problems? I think that many of those who welcome the idea of MUTS are so addicted to constant visual and auditory stimulation that they're afraid their brains will stop working if the stimulation is removed. Or perhaps, they are afraid their brains will start working...(thank you Douglas Adams, wherever you are).

Bob, thanks for reply and quote. I enjoyed them and agree there does need to be a balance.. I do find it interesting that you used on-board E-mail on 12/30/04 to" Check in From the Grand" .....Maybe after you watched a movie on MUTS...Looks like you tried but were not able to escape completely as you mentioned.

Archived