Sea Princess has MUTS

can786

We were on the Caribbean Princess in Oct 04. They show movies during the day and you do not have the option of not listening to the movie if you are sitting near that pool. I am not a big fan of FOOTBALL, However they had Monday night football on the big screen. It was fun they had hot dogs and other items to eat. My DH and our frineds went down to bar area by pool and grabbed a couple of beers. They moved out all the chase lounger and set up tables and chairs. Guys had a great time. The show that evening was geared for ladies. I went into the show and as it got closer to football time the guys started leaving and all went to watch the game.

Ironic isn’t it that Princess is trying to attract families for family vacations on MUTS equipped ships and yet the choice of what to show via MUTS separates family members from one another.

Well all this nashing of teeth is totally for naught. As reported elsewhere on CruiseCritic and elsewhere, during the day passengers are given headsets to listen to whatever is on the MUTS screen, and the speakers are on only at night when the pools are closed anyway. Does Princess have class?

By the way, also reported was that last night as the movie was being showed, the ship took a hard left and half of the pool emptied up on deck where the movie goers were. An unanticipated event!

Thanks

Norm

Well all this nashing of teeth is totally for naught. As reported elsewhere on CruiseCritic and elsewhere, during the day passengers are given headsets to listen to whatever is on the MUTS screen, and the speakers are on only at night when the pools are closed anyway. Does Princess have class?

By the way, also reported was that last night as the movie was being showed, the ship took a hard left and half of the pool emptied up on deck where the movie goers were. An unanticipated event!

Thanks

Norm[/quote

It still looks ugly on the Sea... :eek: Wondering if there was no MUTS, would the pools be open like on the other ships??

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it…there’s no such thing as an accident.

Well they didn't say what movie was being shown, but if it was Titanic or some other ship disaster movie it would add to the "special effects" or maybe Charleton Heston parting the Red Sea! Since I don't tend to watch movies on board when I can do that at home, I don't know if they do show "ship disaster movies" on board. Maybe that would be too close to home!

Thanks

Norm

Well. as we write it's 'Phantom of the Opera' ... and with winds at force 7/8, rain bucketing down and temperatures way way down, they haven't even bothered to rope off the area or set out the chairs. In fact, with worse weather expected, they were actually packing the loungers up as we came past earlier ... guess the phantom's curse has won out tonight!

Ibrasu (from the Sea Princess)

All this fuss about the distraction of MUTS during the day at the main pool with no real information, just opinions

Looks like Princess is dealing with the issue quite well

Below is copied a review from someone on the Sea now ( SEA PRINCESS thread from CAT-NIK now on page 1 )

" Okay all

we are into our 2nd full day at sea now and looking forward to getting off for a walk around at Cadiz tomorrow. It has been really great to spend the first couple of days doing nothing much. It gives you a chance to unwind and really get into relaxed mode.

First thing to tell you about is the MUTS. During the day they seem to show old movies, yesterday it was Raiders of The Lost Ark. They dont have the sound on but issue all passengers with wireless earphones in your stateroom. You just switch them on and tune in to get the soundtrack of whatever is showing. That way nobody who is either sunbathing, talking, reading a book or snoozing gets disturbed. For the evening shows of MUTS that take place at 7pm and 9.30pm they have the full sound on the main speakers giving the open air drive in movie feel. So the only people who will be disturbed are those who want to watch the movie anyway Tonights movie is Oceans 12. "

All this fuss about the distraction of MUTS during the day at the main pool with no real information, just opinions

Looks like Princess is dealing with the issue quite well

Sorry – MUTS does not belong on Sea Princess and if it did, they wouldn’t have had to install wireless headphones so that people won’t be disturbed. Not only that, the apparatus has ruined the line of what was once a lovely ship – think large tumor. While I have only opinions, I can tell what screws up a good cruise ship and this is it. Keep it on the ships that were built for it.

Well all this nashing of teeth is totally for naught.
Hardly. The "added extra" of headphones - so that the sound is off during the day - shows that the problem being pointed out was a very real one, which Princess has accordingly acknowledged.

Full marks to Princess for having addressed it. Barring only the unavoidable visual impact of the equipment itself, I personally think this is a sensible compromise.

Archived