Flying with allergy drops

cowprintrabbit

I am in the middle of a course of allergy drops (like the shots, but no needles!) They are really expensive so I'd rather not check them - it also says they need to stay room temperature and I'm worried about extremes under the plane.

Does anyone have experience declaring "medical liquids" going through TSA? Also, is ship security going to have a problem? It is 8 tiny bottles (think travel eyedrop size) in a paperback book sized case with foam lining and cutouts for the bottles.

I have flown with my Immunotherapy drops several times. I put them in the blue bag and I have kept the blue half ring to keep them from spilling.

I keep my medicines in a separate bag from make up and non medical liquids. Even though medicines do not techincally be pulled out, I put that bag and my other bag in the bin. They picked up my medical bag on my return home last time and all I had to say was "Inhaler" and he put the bag down. On the scanner she thought it might be pepper spray (I thought they were going to look at my bed bug spray :rolleyes:).

No issues with the medicines otherwise.

Happy flying!

It may make your life easier if you take a note from the doctor with you. While medical liquids are allowed, TSA has been known to be a pain about it.

Good idea, thanks! I once had them take away a 3oz bottle of sunscreen because it was hand-labeled; now I am paranoid :o. Sometimes I think it depends on whether they had a good breakfast before coming to work that day...

It may make your life easier if you take a note from the doctor with you. While medical liquids are allowed, TSA has been known to be a pain about it.

Hmmm..I've never encountered that, and I always bring 12 oz bottles of contact lens solutions. OTC, too.

TSA regulations below: The best place to get answers to your liquid related questions is via TSA.gov. The 3-1-1 rule is 3.4 ounces or less, 1 quart size bag for every 1 passenger. Thousands of people fly each day with liquid medications. If you follow the rules you will be fine.

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3.4 ounce (100ml) of the following liquids, gels and aerosols are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary (all exceptions must be presented to the security officer in front of the checkpoint):

• Baby formula, breast milk, and juice if a baby or small child is traveling;
  • All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
  • Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
  • Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
  • Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
  • Frozen items are allowed as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 requirements.

You are allowed reasonable amounts over 3.4 ounces (100ml) of the items above in your carry-on baggage, but you will need to perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
  2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
  3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

Edited by fergusonvt

My drops come in bottles like this

http://www.lacrosseallergy.com/AboutOurTreatment/HowSlitWorks/default.aspx

I get them through my doctor - I actually switched to an ENT as allergies were causing vertigo, ear infections, bronchitis, pneumonia and other health issues. The first year they did prick test and IgE tests. The next year to determine what was still going on (my insurance wouldn't pay for two tests in one year) they did IgG tests. I have been on new food and enviroment drops for a full year as a result of the IgG test. They found I had a severe egg allergy that was not discovered in 2010. Even though 2012 has been warm and most people have suffered lots of allergies - I have been very healthy. They really work.

I take daily - I have been taking the enviromental ones for two years and have noticed huge improvements...

Back to traveling... No problems with them... They are labeled. Even if they want to look at - so, I don't care if they do!!;)

Edited by arpie05

Can you tell me what those drops are called as I know many many allergy sufferers and would pass this info along?;) Thanks

Mine are called Allergy EZ - your doctor may use a different brand, but they're the kind they formulate after doing the scratch test on your back.

TSA regulations below: The best place to get answers to your liquid related questions is via TSA.gov. The 3-1-1 rule is 3.4 ounces or less, 1 quart size bag for every 1 passenger. Thousands of people fly each day with liquid medications. If you follow the rules you will be fine.

{snip}

You are allowed reasonable amounts over 3.4 ounces (100ml) of the items above in your carry-on baggage, but you will need to perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
  2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
  3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

I do this part all the time, we travel A LOT, just nervous because I have never declared medical liquids before...

My drops come in bottles like this

http://www.lacrosseallergy.com/AboutOurTreatment/HowSlitWorks/default.aspx

I get them through my doctor - I actually switched to an ENT as allergies were causing vertigo, ear infections, bronchitis, pneumonia and other health issues. The first year they did prick test and IgE tests. The next year to determine what was still going on (my insurance wouldn't pay for two tests in one year) they did IgG tests. I have been on new food and enviroment drops for a full year as a result of the IgG test. They found I had a severe egg allergy that was not discovered in 2010. Even though 2012 has been warm and most people have suffered lots of allergies - I have been very healthy. They really work.

I take daily - I have been taking the enviromental ones for two years and have noticed huge improvements...

Back to traveling... No problems with them... They are labeled. Even if they want to look at - so, I don't care if they do!!;)

Thanks, that makes me feel better, both about travelling with them, and that there is an end in sight to the constant sinus infection I have from my allergies!

Hmmm..I've never encountered that, and I always bring 12 oz bottles of contact lens solutions. OTC, too.

My DH used to be a TSO. He said that whether or it I could take half the things I asked him about depended on which supervisor was on duty. I figure the less worries getting on a cruise, the better.

I've worked for an Allergy/Asthma group for the past 14 years, and oddly enough I've never heard of allergy drops. All of our immunotherapy patients receive shots and/or oral medications. Wow, it's true... you do learn something new everyday :cool:

• 2 years later...

I think it maybe a good idea if you have a doctors certificate to say that you are carrying these small bottles. When I had severe allergies I had to carry adrenalin with me so I had a doctors certificate explaining the reason I had the medication with me. You will have no problems on a cruise ship.

Good idea, thanks! I once had them take away a 3oz bottle of sunscreen because it was hand-labeled;

Which is absolutely ridiculous, and a clear example of how some TSA agents feel that a uniform equals complete autonomy to do whatever the hell they feel like doing, just to show that they have "power" over you. I mean, why does hand labeling matter as long as it's in a 3.4oz or less size? Whatever he thought you had put in the bottle could just as easily have been put in an " original labeled" (but reused) shampoo bottle or whatever

And you probably won't encounter it. But if you hang around frequent flyer forums enough you'll hear plenty of stories about the same kind of ridiculous behavior by some TSA agents on a power trip.

One additional note: The regs noted above are for the TSA, which handles screening at USA airports. These are NOT the absolute same rules for security screening at foreign airports, which may be similar but not the same.

Various countries have different rules and procedures, so if your travel will have you flying from a foreign airport, it might be worth checking those regs.

In the US, meds are outside the regular 3 - 1 - 1 rules. You can even fly with a small cooler with a medical grade gel pack if meds need to be kept a certain temp. You just have to declare it when going through.

Be ready for a swipe test, but that is about all. Just be prepared that you are outside the norm and be polite. Most TSA agents are not out to get you.

I think it maybe a good idea if you have a doctors certificate to say that you are carrying these small bottles. When I had severe allergies I had to carry adrenalin with me so I had a doctors certificate explaining the reason I had the medication with me. You will have no problems on a cruise ship.

Did you notice you pulled up an almost three year old thread? Assume the poster to whom responded solved their problem long ago.