Cancellation penalties...

neverthought

We were booked on our cruise for the end of the month. DH had a major medical issue come up end of March and we had to cancel per Drs. orders. The cruise line kept 75% of the fare:eek:...which I feel is NOT FAIR!! I understand a cancellation fee, but several thousand dollars is TOTALLY ludicrous. The cruise line will not be losing any $$$$, room has already been rebooked, and we the passenger have had to contend with heartbreak over the medical issue, loss of wonderful cruise, stress ,aggravation and the loss of cash...which is being handled as I type. I guess my main complaint is, God forbid someone should die the day before their cruise,they would suffer the loss of their love one ...and they would be out of their money . It is more the principle of common human caring and understanding. I am quite saddened to realize this industry doesn't give a darn about their passengers...just the ALMIGHTY BUCK. Any thoughts on this issue??

Neverthought

Thoughts? You have 1523 posts and have been on many cruises. Have you never read the cancellation policies you agreed to when you booked any of these cruises? Have you never read any post here about someone who lost their money when they cancelled?

The points you make are moot. You agreed to the cancellation policy when you booked, you chose not to purchase insurance to protect your investment, and you lost this gamble.

If you had purchased a trip insurance policy, probably for less than a couple hundred dollars, and you cancelled for a medical reason, you would have received all your money back.

Next time purchase insurance.

Cruise lines are all about making money, whether they give you something for it or not.

As stated above: Insurance, Insurance, Insurance, Insurance, Insurance, Insurance!

I know it stinks, but that's the way it is.

First off, I'm sorry for what your family is going through with the medical issue.

I always purchase insurance, just in case something unfortunate such as this does happen.

I guess that is my thought. Just chaulk it up as an expensive mistake.

Thoughts? You have 1523 posts and have been on many cruises. Have you never read the cancellation policies you agreed to when you booked any of these cruises? Have you never read any post here about someone who lost their money when they cancelled?

No to both questions.

The points you make are moot. You agreed to the cancellation policy when you booked, you chose not to purchase insurance to protect your investment, and you lost this gamble.

My point is what if someone didn't have ins...it would be a double whammy![/I]

I didn't say I lost our investment,it's being handled.

If you had purchased a trip insurance policy, probably for less than a couple hundred dollars, and you cancelled for a medical reason, you would have received all your money back.

Next time purchase insurance.

Always do...

When you cancel very close to sailing date the cruise line stands a small chance of reselling the cabin at the fare you had paid, so by charging a cancellation penalty they are protecting themselves against loss caused through no fault of their own. You have also protected yourself, apparently, by buying the insurance that everyone agrees is there for this sort of event.

So what's your issue again?

While I am sorry you missed out on the cruise, I 100% disagree that the policy is unfair or that this is an example of a cruise line not caring about their passengers. That is what travel insurance is for. If you want to be covered for having to cancel the cruise, buy adequate travel insurance; if you want to gamble and not purchase travel insurance that is your choice, but then you are accepting that fact you may have to cancel and be out money.

Hope the medical issue clears up and you will be able to cruise again soon.

I guess I have to change my post (the expensive mistake portion) if you have insurance that is covering this. (I just read you response to another post).

This is the nature of the business. I agree to the all the policies (cancellaton policies, in addition to any others) when I purchase my cruise and accept the cruise contract. If I felt really stongly about it or thought it was a major issue then I wouldn't cruise.

Although, it kind of sucks, I do everything I can to protect myself to make any unfortunate events that the cruiseline can not help me with easier to deal with. I don't really look for the cruiseline to care about anything though. That goes for a lot of companies, so that is why insurance, warranties...etc...exists.

When you cancel very close to sailing date the cruise line stands a small chance of reselling the cabin at the fare you had paid, so by charging a cancellation penalty they are protecting themselves against loss caused through no fault of their own. You have also protected yourself, apparently, by buying the insurance that everyone agrees is there for this sort of event.

So what's your issue again?

Not an issue, just a point...what about people that don't have ins/aren't CC members that read the boards...I just think the penalities are astronomical in light of cruiselines being able to reselling cabins and make a nice chunk of change on someone's misfortune.Tak81288 and Gonzo 70 Thank you for your kind thoughts

Neverthought

Not an issue, just a point...what about people that don't have ins/aren't CC members that read the boards...I just think the penalities are astronomical in light of cruiselines being able to reselling cabins and make a nice chunk of change on someone's misfortune.Tak81288 and Gonzo 70 Thank you for your kind thoughts

Neverthought

It is buyer beware...for everything including cruising.

Cruisers should not depend on CC to get their facts, just opinions.

The penalties are what they are.

If someone chooses to purchase a cruise but does not read the cancellation penalties and chooses to not purchase insurance, that is too bad too sad for them. Its called taking personal responsibility. If you don't like the policies, you don't book.

In todays world anyone who doesn't take the time to read any contract before they sign it deserves what they get. I simply have no sympathy for anyone who cries wolf after the fact yet didn't read they contract. To me this example isn't about not purchasing insurance, not being a member of CC, or about a cruise line not caring. It is simply about an individual not being responsible enough to read the contract before checking that little box. There isn't a business out there that doesn't have an exchange or refund policy and none of them are in the favor of the consumer. The cruise industry should be any different?

Neverthought

Functional adults make their own decisions and their own cost/benefit calculations. The cruise line has held that cabin for the customer for weeks or months. Anybody who doesn't read the cancellation policy as only to look in a mirror to find whom to blame.

We were booked on our cruise for the end of the month. DH had a major medical issue come up end of March and we had to cancel per Drs. orders.

So sorry! I hope your husband feels better now.

The cruise line kept 75% of the fare:eek:...which I feel is NOT FAIR!! I understand a cancellation fee, but several thousand dollars is TOTALLY ludicrous. The cruise line will not be losing any $$$$, room has already been rebooked, and we the passenger have had to contend with heartbreak over the medical issue, loss of wonderful cruise, stress ,aggravation and the loss of cash...which is being handled as I type.

ANY cruise or tour group posts their cancellation rules on the website. We read them, and we agree to take the risk or buy cancellation insurance. The closer you get to the sail date, them more the company keeps. This is business. This is their decision that we either accept or deny by bying insurance.

I guess my main complaint is, God forbid someone should die the day before their cruise,they would suffer the loss of their love one ...and they would be out of their money . It is more the principle of common human caring and understanding. I am quite saddened to realize this industry doesn't give a darn about their passengers...just the ALMIGHTY BUCK. Any thoughts on this issue??

Neverthought

Cruise line is not in medical or grief business. They are in the business of taking people on cruises. They even offer insurance at the time of reservation if it's more convenient for clients than to find a different insurance with a different company. Sorry about what happened to you, but they are in business of making money, not in the business of "human caring and understanding"

We booked with an online site. It made sure we read the contract before clicking forward and then we were offered trip insurance. It was very clear what the trip insurance was for and what would happen if you had to cancel for whatever reason including medical or death. If someone chooses not to read the contracts and chooses to reject the insurance.... well, guess they may have to learn the hard way.

Not sure how you can be on the boards for so long and NEVER read anyone losing their trip $$ due to cancellation without insurance. I've only been on here since Feb and already read several cases.

People aren't understanding ...this is my opinion....just asking for yours:confused:

1st. We've lost nothing...had insurance!

2nd Just pointing out how unfortunate for someone who doesn't know.

3rd I don't read every single category on these boards...so have no idea how many people this penalty rule has effected. Carla 63 Thank you for your kind words.

Neverthought

People aren't understanding ...this is my opinion....just asking for yours:confused:

1st. We've lost nothing...had insurance!

2nd Just pointing out how unfortunate for someone who doesn't know.

3rd I don't read every single category on these boards...so have no idea how many people this penalty rule has effected. Carla 63 Thank you for your kind words.

Neverthought

I hope your husband makes a quick recovery, but I think most people understand. They're put off by this in your original post:

" It is more the principle of common human caring and understanding. I am quite saddened to realize this industry doesn't give a darn about their passengers...just the ALMIGHTY BUCK. Any thoughts on this issue??"

You seem to expect the cruise industry, a business not much different than most businesses, to act as if it were a social service agency, religion, community mental health agency or grief counseling service. It's an expectation that's completely out of touch with reality.

Archived