Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

What right do you have to a specific cabin? - absolutely none!

You booking a grade of cabin - they are as perfect right to move you at any time.

Sure you can request a cabin number, but it is not guaranteed.

If they downgrade you then that is another matter.

But moving you to an alternative is one of those things - you do not have a leg to stand on.

Sorry to be blunt, but that is how it is.

And if you are not happy RCI would simply say 'go elsewhere'.

Please if it is guaranteed in the contract, please feel free to point it out and I will gladly stand corrected and eat humble pie - but if you cannot please do not waste your time complaining and getting annoyed. If they do not instantly help, then there is nothing they can do.

End of.

You booking a grade of cabin - they are as perfect right to move you at any time.

But moving you to an alternative is one of those things - you do not have a leg to stand on.

End of.

Well. not sure if it's your call to say "end of"

Just to extend your argument about non entitlement to a specific cabin, why then does every travel agent site, including RCL direct, allow you to select your cabin before even taking your deposit and even allowing you to place a hold on it until deposit. If that choice is not a confirmed choice once you pay your deposit etc then this is misleading conduct. Because it can well be argued that you paid your deposit on the understanding that this was your cabin. And there is nothing on the RCL site, during the booking process that stipulates that this cabin can be changed at whim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you are not happy RCI would simply say 'go elsewhere'.............

I kind of agree with this. They gave you the same grade of cabin, but in a different location (most likely <20 feet away). I understand the upset completely, but Royal's view is you got the same type of cabin, + $200.

If they had good customer service, this issue would get resolved. It's really too bad that they don't care, but they are a huge company, and ...they don't care!

Actually, if you look at the new deck plans you will see that cabin numbers:

8544 - 8546 - 8548

8044 - 8046 - 8048

Have been downgraded from JS to new Fat Window View

While cabins:

8042 & 8542 have been downgraded from Disabled JS to non-disabled Fat Window View.

I wonder what their story is to these people, especially for the Disabled cabin's. And if it is a different story to the one being told to the "afties", then they have opened the flood gates for the de-possessed.

And one final point, the affected aft cabins number 7 in total, and even if the Rhap only did 7 day cruises, the total affected bookings for the next year would be 364, which should not be that hard for even RCI to manage. It would not have cost them a fortune to re-book all the "newbies" into side berth cabins even if everyone of them told RCI to stick it (and RCI would no doubt have re-sold those side berth cabins anyway), so no cost at all in dollar terms, just a huge backlash in customer satisfaction.

Has anyone posted anything on the RCI facebook wall about this? Facebook is a very powerful social media site.

On the RCI Aust and NZ facebook last week, someone posted a very long negative email about the Singapore to Sydney Rhapsody sailing which was the first cruise post dry dock .... It was NOT flattering and RCI responded very quickly and then the next day it was GONE.

I just figured that they either deleted it or the poster deleted it because he was asked to. Just an idea!!

8544 - 8546 - 8548

8044 - 8046 - 8048

While cabins:

8042 & 8542 have been downgraded from Disabled JS to non-disabled Fat Window View..

This is what I was querying earlier. Some people have booked JS but their cabins are no longer in that category?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please if it is guaranteed in the contract, please feel free to point it out and I will gladly stand corrected and eat humble pie - but if you cannot please do not waste your time complaining and getting annoyed. If they do not instantly help, then there is nothing they can do.

End of.

Give me a break. If this happened to you then you too would be irate. The cruise lines allow us to book certain cabins. Those people that booked those cabins first do the right to those cabins.

8544 - 8546 - 8548

8044 - 8046 - 8048

While cabins:

8042 & 8542 have been downgraded from Disabled JS to non-disabled Fat Window View.

I wonder what their story is to these people, especially for the Disabled cabin's. And if it is a different story to the one being told to the "afties", then they have opened the flood gates for the de-possessed.

And one final point, the affected aft cabins number 7 in total, and even if the Rhap only did 7 day cruises, the total affected bookings for the next year would be 364, which should not be that hard for even RCI to manage. It would not have cost them a fortune to re-book all the "newbies" into side berth cabins even if everyone of them told RCI to stick it (and RCI would no doubt have re-sold those side berth cabins anyway), so no cost at all in dollar terms, just a huge backlash in customer satisfaction.

Good point!

End of.

So I guess you have never chosen a cabin on a ship...you just go with catagory? Really? On all of the cruise lines I have been on you book a cabin grade and location. You are correct that it is not guaranteed in the contract, and yes...RCL can do whatever they want whenever they want...but that does not make it right...and I bet the first time it happens to you...you might not like it. RCL has said...if you don't like it-- sorry to lose your business. But it does not take away the frustration of the situation. Why allow customers to choose cabins and then change them? So no...its not the end...yet. Kinda sounds like you work for RCL!

Give me a break. If this happened to you then you too would be irate. The cruise lines allow us to book certain cabins. Those people that booked those cabins first do the right to those cabins.

Yes, I would be upset, however they have no right to particular cabins.

If they are not happy, then cancel the cruise and go to another cruiseline

Someone else will probably gladly take their cabin over.

I am sorry if that upsets, but in the cruel world of business it is life.

Downgrading to a lower category is wrong, and probably in breach of contract, but even then I am sure there is a get out clause for RCI. They would no doubt have to refund the difference in cost, but no more.

You pay a depost and you agree to those conditions - you cannot moan afterwards that you disagree with those conditions. Did you read them? I guess not, as nobody does (including me), but that does not say that the cruiseline cannot enforce or stick to them.

I am guessing the original person affected is from the USA - therefore they can decide not to go and get a refund.

Just a question - if you were to get upgraded, would you still be yelling and screaming - I bet not! You cannot have it both ways.

Sending emails to directors will get nowhere.

Now if you cruise and things go wrong, then you have a right to moan - but not before hand unless there has been a breach of contract, and I welcome anyone to show where a breach of contract has taken place. If it has the sue them. Simples.

Here is the body of an email I sent today to Misters Fain and Goldstein;

Dear Sirs;

I am a member of the cruise critic message boards and as of today the threads regarding this issue have almost 14,000 views.

I am writing to show support for all the people affected by the Rhapsody cabin renumbering. The RIGHT thing to to do is to give the original cabin holders their cabin back. Notify the new reservations: We are sorry it inform you due to a renumbering of cabins this cabin had been previously booked and give them the $200 OBC.

I for one of MANY ,who have seen the lack of positve customer service am reconsidering making RCCL my choice of Cruise line.

I am a member of the cruise critic message boards and as of today the threads regarding this issue have almost 14,000 views.

Please have enough respect for your customers to respond personally to this matter to explain why such an easy fix was not accomplished.

Sincerely;

Nancy

Hope it helps!!!!:o

Nancy

I just bumped up the original post / thread titled "Rhapsody of the seas dry dock" which was started in february on this topic, it has 13000 views which brings the total to 27000 counting the 2 others .... That is a LOT of views ....

The issue with Deck 8 Aft rooms is a double booking and the most recent booking is the one that ended up with the rooms. The main issue is that RCL did not communicate the change. We found out by accident and have not been contacted by RCL. Some will know in advance, others will find out when they get to port. So its not a "who has the rights" issue as we know RCL has all of them...it is about good business and customer service.

Yes, I would be upset, however they have no right to particular cabins.

If they are not happy, then cancel the cruise and go to another cruiseline

Someone else will probably gladly take their cabin over.

Downgrading to a lower category is wrong, and probably in breach of contract, but even then I am sure there is a get out clause for RCI. They would no doubt have to refund the difference in cost, but no more.

You pay a depost and you agree to those conditions - you cannot moan afterwards that you disagree with those conditions. Did you read them? I guess not, as nobody does (including me), but that does not say that the cruiseline cannot enforce or stick to them.

I am guessing the original person affected is from the USA - therefore they can decide not to go and get a refund.

Just a question - if you were to get upgraded, would you still be yelling and screaming - I bet not! You cannot have it both ways.

Sending emails to directors will get nowhere.

Now if you cruise and things go wrong, then you have a right to moan - but not before hand unless there has been a breach of contract, and I welcome anyone to show where a breach of contract has taken place. If it has the sue them. Simples.

NO that is arrogance and the "cruel world of business ...." as you put it IS NOT "life" and eventually people will vote with their feet.

Anyway LEEGRANT why are you defending them?????

Getting an upgrade is a POSITIVE experience not a NEGATIVE one and in LIFE a holiday / vacation is a pleasurable experience and shouldnt start like is.

AND for the record it has affected people from all countries of the world not just the US and maybe you should take some time to read the many posts about this rather than just jumping in here with your offensive comments. Sorry but just my observation here.

Enough said! Good night.

This post is so ridiculous, I almost have to assume it's an inentional troll. :rolleyes:

Here is the body of an email I sent today to Misters Fain and Goldstein;

Dear Sirs;

I am writing to show support for all the people affected by the Rhapsody cabin renumbering.....

I may get some heat for this, but I don't really think it's appropriate to inundate RCI with complaints from people who aren't involved in this. I understand the argument that folks want to prevent this from happening to them in the future, but RCI really should be focusing on responding to and helping those who were actually disadvantaged, not a bunch of uninvolved people from a chat board.

Have you all been posting on "The NEW Rhapsody of the Seas! (28 photos)' thread started by RC on that head novel site?

Seems like that would get some attention, esp if multiple people were posting specific complaints about cabin assignment problems.

I would say that someone was assigned my cabin, and the sea didn't call me. Instead of saying 'get out there!', they should be saying 'we don't care!'.

NO that is arrogance and the "cruel world of business ...." as you put it IS NOT "life" and eventually people will vote with their feet.

Anyway LEEGRANT why are you defending them?????

I am not defending them, however why does everyone always think they have a case to moan and sue etc.

Sure they could have handled it better, but that does not say that they were not within their rights to change cabin numbers.

You book a seat on an aircraft, but know full well that you might be moved for operational reasons. A cruise ship is no different.

Mass sending of emails is only going to cheapen this site in their eyes - not improve it. It really does not help the people affected either.

I reckond there are people who have not posted here who may well have had a result - we will never know - but yelling and screaming on a forum is often not the way to get things resolved when it affects a limited number, and onthe scale of passengers annually for the group it is a very very small number.

You say that people will vote with their feet - that is yours and my right - we can chose where to spend our money and long may that continue.

Maybe nothing illegal here but it is super-bad customer service, from a line that promotes it's 'gold anchor service'.

"What is Gold Anchor Service? It's how we make your cruise vacation even more memorable. One thing that keeps our guests coming back again and again is our friendly and personal service. Maybe it's a server who remembers the name of your daughter's teddy bear. Or the bartender who remembers the extra olive. Or perhaps the housekeeper who reminds you of your dinner reservation time. Our unique style of service will enhance every aspect of your cruise. No matter where you are - the pool, the dining room, the spa or your room - get ready to be wowed! And we deliver it 24 hours a day. This is way beyond normal service. This is Gold Anchor Service." *

*Note: but we may throw you out of your cabin, and say 'tough luck!' as you sail away...

Let's see...teddy bear's name? or correct cabin. Being prompted to go eat dinner? or correct cabin. extra olive? or the right cabin? hmm.....

They'll wow you everywhere except during the booking process. Maybe y'all didn't book during that 24 hours a day guaranteed wow period. oh, right.

And the cruel world of business has many faces.

Cruel businesses that have a rep for poor customer service and giving the shaft to their customers will suffer the repercussions.

Many consumers will opt not to deal with a company that conducts its business like this.

LeeGrant, I see all your points, and from a pure business perspective, sure, they are valid points.

Nobody involved is saying that what Royal is doing is illegal (or at least I don't think so). But this isn't about doing the legal thing -- it's about doing the right thing.

In two minutes, I could explain this situation to any random person on the street and they would agree that the individual who booked the cabin first should have it. It's the logical choice. It's the fair choice. It makes sense. What Royal is doing goes contrary to the logical human thought process when it comes to reserving trips, to the point that none of us can even get our heads around it.

Is RCI allowed to do what they did? Sure. But...as mentioned above, cruisers have become accustomed to picking out their cabin. There's a cabin number on my contract. I picked my sailing date purely based on the availability of that cabin. There's even a category guarantee system that RCI considers to be less valuable of a booking. Specific cabin reservations aren't legally binding, but over the last couple of decades, they have come to be expected.

So, again...is RCI allowed to do what they did? Sure. But should their poor decision-making process and the treatment of the folks involved ultimately be publicized until they relent and make the right decision? Absolutely, and that's the thought process here.

I'm struggling to come up with a good analogy, but here's my best shot. Say you order often from a place like amazon, and somewhere buried deep in their privacy policy it says that they are allowed to release all of your private contact information to third parties. Say for several years they provide good service, but suddenly one day they decide to release that information and instantly everyone who orders from them gets inundated with spam, calls to home, and other nuisances. Would they be on safe legal ground? Yep. But how do you think the public would react to that? How long do you think they would stay in business if they actually acted on that clause in their contract?

I really hope you're just trolling and don't, as a fellow consumer, really believe this yourself. If so, hey, I'll trade you my Alaska booking for a corner aft -- same price!

Nobody involved is saying that what Royal is doing is illegal (or at least I don't think so). But this isn't about doing the legal thing -- it's about doing the right thing.

I'm not saying that Royal shouldn't do the right thing (which I really think they should) but previous posters (see #164 and #175) have advocated getting the state Attorney General or lawyers involved. Which, to be honest, would have zero effect on the outcome since nothing illegal has occurred.

Royal did the easy thing, in maintaining cabin numbers and cabin class, but they really need to step up and do the right thing.

I'm not saying that Royal shouldn't do the right thing (which I really think they should) but previous posters (see #164 and #175) have advocated getting the state Attorney General or lawyers involved. Which, to be honest, would have zero effect on the outcome since nothing illegal has occurred.

Well I was only providing contact information, not advocating that this was an illegal business practice.

That being said, I think any amount of written complaining brings attention to the issue. Also, this would seem to be a deceptive practice: allowing the consumer to think that their deposit guarantees their cabin assignment. There is an opportunity on the website to request specific upgrades, but nowhere does it specify downgrade preferences.

Obviously sometimes things happen and people must be reassigned, but in this case (and some others that have been posted) Royal seems to have done things only to make it easier for themselves, and that is anti-consumer, and worthy of complaint.

If this happened to me, and I was before final, no airfare purchased, I would cancel this, and all my other RC cruises. I choose my cabins very carefully when I am booking in advance, and I need to know that random reassignments are not going to happen. And this is a random reassignment, due to their negligence.

Well. I see there are some here that find RCI's conduct here acceptable. Since many have responded to these comments already, let me just add this. While nothing "Illegal" may have happened, there is a case to be made for deceptive trade practices, sometimes better known as "Bait and Switch." That does fall directly in the path of a state attorney general.

How would you like it if your ordered merchandise from your favorite retailer, say a diamond ring. From the description, you thought it to be genuine. But when it

arrived, the diamond had significant flaws, which had a direct impact on its value. Would you claim that you had been deceived ?

Even though the merchant had done nothing "illegal," and delivered what you had ordered, most people would be up in arms.

RCI accepted my money in good faith, and reserved a specific cabin for me, with certain physical attributes, among them being, it's location. They also accepted my full payment on that same reservation, and proceeded to make their switch. All without any consideration or communication for those that had paid for that specific cabin and location.

If there are those here that will sit back and accept this behavior, go right ahead. That's your right. I've chosen not to do that. And like it or not, that is MY right.

I believe that this will be my fourth........and last post.......to request, for your benefit......that you write to the State of Florida Attorney Generals office........to let them have the fight with Royal Caribbean.

How it's handled from here, is up to you.

If it were my cabin......Royal Caribbean would be on the short end, and either giving me my cabin back, or facing charges......that will cost them dearly to have dropped.

And working with the Attorney General......your cost........maybe airfare to come to Florida to watch their attorneys dance, before caving.

But most people are like sheep...........and Royal Caribbean knows that!

I hope that you are not one of them!

Rick

I doubt that you would call me a sheep, but I don't think the Florida AG would take this case. RCI reserves the right to change cabin accommodations. One would hope that they would do so for a business reason - moving a solo out of a cabin that sleeps 3 or an AB person out of an accessible cabin to accommodate somebody who needs it. One would HOPE that it wouldn't just randomly happen because of sloppy work procedures, stupidity or a complete lack of regard for ones customer bad, which appears to be the case here.

RCI's action, or lack thereof, may be negligent, but IMO there is no criminal aspect to it.

Years ago, Citibank ran an ad about using credit responsibly (after getting themselves into trouble by lending to anybody who asked, regardless of creditworthiness,much like today's lending crisis). The tag line was, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

So was RCI's handling of the process wrong? IMO, absolutely. Was is criminal? No.

End of.

A little harsh, but that's pretty much the truth. RCI would try to sugarcoat it to pretend that they care, but otherwise I think would provide the same response. at least YOU get that people are angry - I honestly don't think it's sunk in a corporate.

Archived