Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

Looks accurate to me, at least based on what I have read. I've been following closely as someone on our cruise was affected. There may be one slight modification - I believe Beezy was contacted by her travel agent. I seem to recall everyone else found out by accident. Thank you for running the story.

Not sure which facts you're referring to in the story, but if we did get something wrong, we'd certainly like to correct it.

I posted a reply to the article. If you check out the Roll Call for the May, 2013 Honolulu to Vancouver trip, you'll see that Royal Diamond wasn't booked in an OS and downgraded. As I understand it,he was all set to book a corner aft JS but was offered the Family JS with balcony at no extra charge. Then he got an email saying that, due to a miscommunication, there was no balcony, after all (which makes you wonder why they're even calling it a JS instead of a Family Oceanview). By the all of the fantail JS were gone. He worked it out, but it never should have happened to him in the first place. And he got a double whammy, having lost his corner aft for a cruise this year, although he got it back, or maybe the other corner.

I suppose they might have been planning to cut a balcony into the hull and found that they couldn't do it once the ship was in dry dock, but that wouldn't be a miscommunication. That would be a change in plans due to safety or engineering issues that weren't apparent at the time they drew up the new plans, a much more plausible reason IMO.

Well, RCL just lost the nine of us. Cabin 8042 was downgraded after it was assigned to us after RCL had cancelled our first "triple" cabin in err. The cabin which was about 240 square feet before is now only 151 sq.ft. No way is that going to accommodate 3 women, 2 being full figured. RCL did not care. I'm not a big fan of Carnival, but we will at least get a balcony cabin for about the same price as we were paying for the flat oceanview on the Rhapsody. I know "the customer is always right" is a mere perception, but to make someone feel stupid is ridiculous.

I am not defending them, however why does everyone always think they have a case to moan and sue etc.

Sure they could have handled it better, but that does not say that they were not within their rights to change cabin numbers.

You book a seat on an aircraft, but know full well that you might be moved for operational reasons. A cruise ship is no different.

Mass sending of emails is only going to cheapen this site in their eyes - not improve it. It really does not help the people affected either.

I reckond there are people who have not posted here who may well have had a result - we will never know - but yelling and screaming on a forum is often not the way to get things resolved when it affects a limited number, and onthe scale of passengers annually for the group it is a very very small number.

You say that people will vote with their feet - that is yours and my right - we can chose where to spend our money and long may that continue.

Mass sending of e-mail will help, if it makes RCI think that their actions will eventually effect their bottom line. They clearly don't intend to correct their mistake until it hurts them. So they need for it to hurt, either by us clogging up their phone lines, and filling their e-mails. Or by them getting then enough of a bad reputation that people start booking elsewhere.

And in my opinion, anyone who is currently booked on any RCI cruise, is definitely already involved. I have no desire to sail with a company who can't give me some assurance that they will provide the cruise I book. I've booked a corner aft, more than a year in advance, and if they don't intend to provide that, then I want the opportunity to cancel, before final payment. If this company is going to pull a "bait and switch" on it's customers, then I want nothing to do with them.

And this is nothing like the issues on an airplane. This is clearly not operational reasons. The cabins are still there, still useable. It's only mishandling on Royal's part causing the problem. Not machinery.

Yelling and screaming may not be the best way to get the results desired, but sitting still and letting yourself, and others be royally screwed, won't get any results at all. By the way, I haven't heard any yelling and screaming. Only impassioned discussion, and a lot of empathy from the vast majority of other posters. Which I find laudable.

Is RCI allowed to do what they did? Sure. But...as mentioned above, cruisers have become accustomed to picking out their cabin. There's a cabin number on my contract. I picked my sailing date purely based on the availability of that cabin. There's even a category guarantee system that RCI considers to be less valuable of a booking. Specific cabin reservations aren't legally binding, but over the last couple of decades, they have come to be expected.

I think people need to look at what deserpilot says here, and rethink it. We are all just assuming that the specific cabin number is not legally binding, but I don't believe that's true. What he said about the presence of a guarantee cabin, selling for less money, builds into the contract the fact that you purchased a specific cabin. You have a right to expect to receive what you purchase. I believe a lawyer could make a case with that.

Unfortunately anyone with enough money to hire the lawyer (and to spend as much time in a Florida courtroom as the RCI's lawyer would force you to) isn't likely to have booked this cruise in the first place. RCI would not win it on legality, only by breaking you financially, with the court time requirement, and they know that. All the more reason the little guy has to fight this in the arena of public opinion, or with a public lawyer like the attorney general. And e-mails, phone calls, and message board posts are the ammunition you have to use. And we really need to stop crediting Royal Caribbean with having the "right to change your cabin at whim", when that has not been proven to be the case.

[by the way, don't give up on that Attorney General idea. A few years ago, I had a car dealer pull try to give me a car with a smaller motor than what I had bargained for. Long story. I pitched a fit, at the dealership and on the phone to anyone who would listen, including the State Attorney General here in Ohio. I spoke to Lee Fisher himself. And got the car I had bargained for. No lawsuit was needed, just a phone call from the Attorney General. ...So you never know.]

The Executive Customer Relations person I spoke to yesterday in response to my emails to Mr. Goldstein and Fain, told methat I AM getting the cabin # on my contract...#8090, as she correctly pointed out..the location is not listed. Just JS #8090. That is why I just don't see any other way to get them to respond. They have dug their heels in and are not budging.

The Executive Customer Relations person I spoke to yesterday in response to my emails to Mr. Goldstein and Fain, told methat I AM getting the cabin # on my contract...#8090, as she correctly pointed out..the location is not listed. Just JS #8090. That is why I just don't see any other way to get them to respond. They have dug their heels in and are not budging.

Wow. That's just pathetic. Perhaps it's time to point out that doing the right thing should trump hiding behind doing the legal thing. And this from a lawyer...

It's hard to imagine that they could be so short sighted. That they could even contemplate standing by this situation. If that's their game plan, even trying to think this through is mind boggling.

At first it seemed like just a few people affected. Just the fantails moved from aft facing to side. But now you have to add in the side facing passengers, who are moved from connecting to not, from big windows to port holes, parents across the hall from their kids, now several cabin down the hall. Lots of very unhappy people.

Now add in the fact that they are still booking people using the wrong deck plans.

Then to make the problem grow exponentially, you have to multiply that, times every week, week after week, month after month, until all currently bookable cruises on that ship are completed. Then multiply that times every ship they intend to add cabins too.

This mess could go for years !

Sounds like they are taking the "letter of the law" vs the "spirit of the law" version of the contract. You are getting the right cabin, just the wrong location.

The Executive Customer Relations person I spoke to yesterday in response to my emails to Mr. Goldstein and Fain, told methat I AM getting the cabin # on my contract...#8090, as she correctly pointed out..the location is not listed. Just JS #8090.

I just can't even believe this fiasco.

I'm convinced there is no way this is going to be resolved through customer service or emails to corporate. It's a numbers game to them. It's a couple of ships (not sure how many Vision class will have cabins added), a handful of cabins on a couple of decks. Not worth their time. Even if the impacted customers take their business elsewhere, it's a drop in the bucket. If this were Oasis and/or Allure, that would be a different story.

It will be interesting if the crew is able to influence corporate after they get through a few cruises where they have to pacify irate customers who learn about this when they show up for the cruise. I see that as the only hope at this point in time. It's disappointing. It's less about a legal battle to me, and all about customer service. I give them an "F" on this situation.

For you cruisers, CUSTOMERS, that are affected by this, I really feel for you. I book early and pay a deposit sometimes over a year in advance to get the cabin and LOCATION I want. Really not fair what happened with the Rhapsody.

Makes me keep checking deck plans for my next cruises. Thank goodness, and from what I understand, Enchantment is going in for refurb in December. I have a JS corner Aft in September that I would really hate to lose that cabin, especially since I booked that cabin and paid a deposit back in April 2011.

Good Luck to all who are affected. This was a real ROYAL screwup. So not fair.

What a mess. I can't believe that a settlement has not been offered to all that were effected. I don't even understand how it happened. Did they add rooms? Why change room numbers?

RCI will have to own up to this mistake and inform all those who haven't figured it out yet. The corporation must be consulting with their attorneys. I would think you deserve at least a free cruise. You were bumped from your first class seat like an airline passenger.

If you don't get a reply other than "tough luck," I'd contact one of the consumer reporters at a local TV station (or the nearest major city) for help. With all the current news about the Titanic anniversary and cruise ship mishaps I'd think this would be seen as a hot topic.

Good luck in getting this resolved as soon as possible. Keep us informed.

Until the cruising public stands up to the cruise lines contracts which have always benefited the lines, this type of thing will continue to happen.

I believe that when the cause is safety then the cruise captain is the law, but most of the contract issues have nothing to do with safety.

My heart goes out to all affected. As a cruiser who several times have booked up to TWO years in advance to get a particular cabin, I would be terribly upset if the cruise line resold my cabin to somebody else.

I sincerely hope Royal Caribbean reconsiders and does the correct thing and either give the cabins back to the original bookings or handsomely compensates them for the inconvenience.

Many of us put our heart and soul into planning our vacations for our family and friends. Seems like Royal Caribbean has forgotten its loyal and dependable customers that have made them so successful in the first place. :(

Very bad business on Royal Caribbean's part. Something that could so easily have been corrected when first discovered was ignored and now has gone viral. Shame on them.

Wow, that's bad. Who books a cabin for a cabin number? It was booked based on the location and configuration at that time it was booked, so trying to argue that as long as the number doesn't change, it doesn't matter is terrible.

As a customer, I can't stand when some 'customer service' person tries to make excuses based on specific elements that aren't about what was bought at all.

Wow, that's bad. Who books a cabin for a cabin number? It was booked based on the location and configuration at that time it was booked, so trying to argue that as long as the number doesn't change, it doesn't matter is terrible.

As a customer, I can't stand when some 'customer service' person tries to make excuses based on specific elements that aren't about what was bought at all.

I think that customer service rep was reaching. They didn't have a good reason, so made up an idiotic reason and hoped no one would notice.

The "numbers are certainly not as represented at the time of booking - isn't that Bait and Switch? Absolutely insane: and even NOW at this date, reps are describing locations that are NOT what they actually are - management, by its negligence in not providing them the updated deck plans, is continuing to put their reps in the position of participating in this bait and switch - no one would do this purposely - so it is just one more indication of total disregard for us -

it has tainted MY high regard for THEM so much, that I can barely prepare for my own upcoming cruise (days away - and I have the cabin I chose)

My heart is in my mouth about the next five I have booked; I don't think I can tolerate continuing the relationship, with this (new to me) awareness of their total disregard for doing the right thing - planning and enjoying RCI cruises has been an important thread in the tapestry of my life; but it surely doesn't trump being involved with a company that would behave in this manner - If they don't see the light and fix this . . . . I am already mourning the loss . . but . . . .

We usually sail with HAL. We booked a cruise with RCI because of it's proximity and convenience to all in my family (and I thought it might be nice to try something new).

I've read this thread with interest as it is an indication of how management feels about it's customers. I am extremely disappointed with RCI and will NOT be booking any more cruises with them!!

If, as the boards tend to indicate, they rely upon 'newbies' to fill their ships (and treat their loyal C&A customers with a certian distain), I think their business model is going to poorly!

RCI - if anyone from management cares - because of this you have lost a potential customer and I will pass along my feelings to anyone who is considerring sailing with you. This is BAD all the way around!

Once again Royal Caribbean is showing that it does not really care about its customers. After doing right by those affected by the problems on the Enchantment (in February and March of this year) it looked like Royal Caribbean might actually start caring about its customers. But then this. I wonder how the executives at Royal Caribbean would feel if they were treated the way they treat their passengers.

" Hello Mr. G, welcome back to Sowhat Airlines! Oh, just as a reminder, we have remodeled the interior of our planes. Your seat, 6A, is now the last row of the first class section. It is up against a bulkhead so it will no longer recline. You will remain in the full upright position for the duration of the flight. The other side of that bulkhead is a new lavatory we installed, so you might hear/feel some banging as the door opens and closes. We also removed the window from that row."

"What? no, your seat is still in the first class section, and still numbered 6A... that's what you selected and paid for. Ok, we'll give you a free mineral water once we are in the air. By the way, thanks again for being a valued member of our frequent flier program!"

The "numbers are certainly not as represented at the time of booking - isn't that Bait and Switch? Absolutely insane: and even NOW at this date, reps are describing locations that are NOT what they actually are - management, by its negligence in not providing them the updated deck plans, is continuing to put their reps in the position of participating in this bait and switch - no one would do this purposely - so it is just one more indication of total disregard for us -

it has tainted MY high regard for THEM so much, that I can barely prepare for my own upcoming cruise (days away - and I have the cabin I chose)

My heart is in my mouth about the next five I have booked; I don't think I can tolerate continuing the relationship, with this (new to me) awareness of their total disregard for doing the right thing - planning and enjoying RCI cruises has been an important thread in the tapestry of my life; but it surely doesn't trump being involved with a company that would behave in this manner - If they don't see the light and fix this . . . . I am already mourning the loss . . but . . . .

I hope you have a great cruise. I agree with you on future cruises. I have enjoyed my past cruises with RCI, but not sure who I'll be cruising with after this next one.

I'm one of the many that completely agree this has been one of the most poorly handled issues ever by a customer service deparment. As we discussed in the other threads, I would encourage you to write Cruise Critic, write the Consumerist.com, write to travel magazines, contact the BBB, contact news stations, publicize it on Twitter...whatever it takes to make something like this public. Many of us have fought tooth and nail to get our cabins back, and the only ones that have been successful were the ones in which the cabins had not already been booked (or in the extremely rare case that the person occupying the cabin was willing to give it up).

The only thing that is going to win this battle is to get it a good deal of public exposure, and so far it doesn't really have any outside of this community.

It would be interesting to know how many unresolved BBB complaints RC has. This is one major screwup and the original bookings should be given the choice of an upgrade or restoration of their booking. The others then displaced should be given upgrades.

Celebrity announced about 2 weeks before final payment was due that they had given our 2 cabins, booked almost a year before, to someone else. A ridiculous offer of an OBC of $25.00 per cabin was offered.

When this was firmly rejected, 2 rear facing Sky Suites with butler service were offered as a very generous compensation.It obviously happens more frquently than you can wish to imagine.

This is Royal's new attitude. It stinks but I guess Adam G feels that every customer can be replaced. Actually I think that's what they're aiming for. They may get their wish. We have decided to try Celebrity. Even though they are all the same company, I am not happy with the attitude of the senior management of RCI. I love the ships and crew but the rest of the company leaves a lot to be desired.

If you end up with a complaint with Celebrity, you get bumped to RC. My BBB complaint which met the BBB criteria for a valid complaint, was ignored. RC totally refused to work with BBB to resolve my issue. Had I received an apology and even a token OBC for a future cruise, I might have been a return customer. I am trying again with RC next month but am doing so with my eyes open. In this instance, the Jewel of the Seas is the only ship going where I want to when I want to. I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face but I don't feel the loyalty to this line that I've built with the other two I cruise most often.

Archived