Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

How about this for the folks that for some reason don't see the problem here...

You are a football fan and bought tickets front row on the 50 yard line, six months before the big game of the year. Now in between they added new seats to the stadium and now your seats are 20 rows back and at the 30 yard line. They are both seats, same size are you still happy with them?

Received an update from the BBB today. It is still open as I have a chance to respond as to my thoughts with how RCCL has handled my complaint. Basically RCCL said that they have offered $200 OB Credit as resolution. They have made every attempt to take care of the situation but that the return of the original cabin location is not an option. Neither is receiving any additional compensation. They say that the Fantail Aft cabin#s before the refurb were moved as a result of the changes, and I am not going to get my original location back. End of Story.

That's a completely unacceptable response. :mad: As a Royal Caribbean stockholder, I am livid that this is how they feel about their most dedicated cruisers. Whether this is their 1st cruise or their 500th cruise only a dedicated cruiser would research and book so far in advance a particular LOCATION. I have booked a couple of years ahead of time myself to get a particular cabin LOCATION. I don't care about the cabin number, I care about the LOCATION of the cabin.

I was eagerly waiting for the 2013/2014 itineraries to come out to book a B2B on the Allure next fall. However, I think I'll wait and see what Princess and Holland America has to offer. Might be time to revisit a familiar cruise line or try a new one.

It's sad and very disappointing. C'mon Royal show more.

I just want to say that I am going on my first cruise with RCI in June. I just came across this thread and I am absolutely disgusted. If I would have known they could do something like this, I would have never booked with RCI. I feel like this is just plain LAZY and GREEDY, there was A very simple solution to the problem. Somehow I feel they are profiting off of this.

I'm sure we will have a great time on this cruise, but next one we will be booking with another company, and I will make sure it is not with any RCI subsidiaries either.

Yes they do, but at this point, I do not think they are capable of fixing this mess, even if they wanted to.

Perhaps it is beyond the point of getting the original cabin location back, but they can provide better compensation. $200.00 in shipboard credit is a slap in the face in this particular instance. If this had happened to me, I would be insulted.

Now in the cruise line's defense 90% of the usual complaining is probably fluff, but not in this case. In this case, they are 100% in the wrong and by not being proactive or even reactive they have created this viral mess. The worse thing a company can do is nothing in this day of social media.

330+ posts and over 20,000 views speaks volumes and they know it.

Incredibly amazing. Damages to RCI from this will be in the tens of thousands in lost revenue.

Having been in customer service for too many decades to mention, this could have been handled so much better.

Distraught Customer: "Do you know what your company did to me? [detailed explanation follows].

Me: "What?!?!?! You have to be kidding me. I cannot believe that happened. I am sorry. What can I do? What will make you satisfied."

Even if you could not give them the cabin they booked (don't know why they can't) you ask them what else could be done.

Free cruise? $1,000 in OBC? Future free cruise? WHATEVER.

330+ posts and over 20,000 views speaks volumes and they know it.

Oh yeah, RCI, I am available, should you be interested in hiring someone that actually knows a thing or two about how to handle customer service, as it is quite obvious you have no clue.

I have been told on more than one occasion that prices have remained the same, so why is it so difficult for Royal Caribbean not to do the right thing.

The right thing is.........there are two corner JS, and 2 more on the stern, as I recall. That is 4 JS's.........or do I need to look at the deck plan to learn of more??

So, this whole uproar is over 4 cabins?? Of which Royal Caribbean could have told the new owners that they had made a mistake.

Royal Caribbean, under it's present upper management does not make mistakes! Small one's, like this one......yes, but then again they are offering a $200.00 OBC, and the cabin that you are getting is the same size........so what is the point!

Just because they moved you from the first row of seats in first class to the last row......that does not recline, you are still getting what you paid for.......just a few yards away!

I still wonder how many people have booked cabin 8000, thinking that it's still an OS! Besides, there is no balcony, even though, as of today, they say that there is a 55 sq. foot balcony, for the family suite....or whatever they call it.

Royal Caribbean is not going to change, and you know what............they have proven themselves right when they decided that Diamonds were no longer allowed in the CL, or were given all of the free drinks.

Do you remember the uproar??? What do you hear today??

I totally feel for those that have been misplaced, and hope that the Florida Attorney General's office can get a better deal......because I don't think you will be moving to the cabins that you requested..........as in....aft or aft corner!!

Mr. Goldstein is sleeping well at night.....this is a fly that he probably already killed.

I just feel sorry for the customer. I know what justice is, I just can't speak of it freely here!!:D

Rick

Actually, this is one of the few threads where I haven't heard anyone say they don't see the problem.

Yep...it's so clear to everyone else; everyone except the folks at RCI. Apparently basic logic just doesn't fly over there.

I hate to sound punitive, but as one of the ones affected, it's good to see that this thread continues to thrive and that several folks have joined in the pursuit to boycott RCI based on their refusal to do the right thing.

Don't let this effort die.

And as papakaiser said a few posts back, thanks again (so much!) to everyone for their continued support.

Does anyone think that RCCL even pays any attention to Cruise Critic posts?

Yes they do, but at this point, I do not think they are capable of fixing this mess, even if they wanted to.

I agree, they do pay attention and at this point no matter what they do it will be wrong. It will be interesting to see what happens with the next Vision class ship upgrade.

I agree, they do pay attention and at this point no matter what they do it will be wrong. It will be interesting to see what happens with the next Vision class ship upgrade.

That's not true. They could STILL fix this to everyone's content with minimal churn.

For the originally booked passengers (prior to dry dock), offer an apology and move them back to their original selections. Simple as that.

For the folks that were accidentally allowed to book into the cabins, offer an explanation of the error, an official apology, and the following:

- movement to an equal or better suite on the same sailing for no charge

- the opportunity to cancel with no penalty

- their choice of at least 25% of the booking cost in OBC, OR the lousy $200 OBC with at least 50% off a future cruise as an extension of good faith

I think that would make most of us happy. But not this reverse logic and pathetic OBC.

That's not true. They could STILL fix this to everyone's content with minimal churn.

For the originally booked passengers (prior to dry dock), offer an apology and move them back to their original selections. Simple as that.

For the folks that were accidentally allowed to book into the cabins, offer an explanation of the error, an official apology, and the following:

- their choice of at least 25% of the booking cost in OBC, OR the lousy $200 OBC with at least 50% off a future cruise as an extension of good faith

I think that would make most of us happy. But not this reverse logic and pathetic OBC.

The people forced to move are not going to be any happier about moving then those that are demanding to be moved back to the cabin they actually booked.

At this point no matter what Royal Caribbean does, someone is going to be unhappy.

The people forced to move are not going to be any happier about moving then those that are demanding to be moved back to the cabin they actually booked.

At this point no matter what Royal Caribbean does, someone is going to be unhappy.

However I am sure that whilst most would be upset and mutter, deep down know that it was the right decision and probably think that they knew snagging one of those cabins at this late stage was too good to be true!

How about this for the folks that for some reason don't see the problem here...

You are a football fan and bought tickets front row on the 50 yard line, six months before the big game of the year. Now in between they added new seats to the stadium and now your seats are 20 rows back and at the 30 yard line. They are both seats, same size are you still happy with them?

Actually, this is one of the few threads where I haven't heard anyone say they don't see the problem.

Not only does everyone seem to get it (as rare as that is here on CC) but even the ones who usually chime in with something like.... go ahead and book another cruise line, there will be plenty of people to take your place.... have been keeping their mouths shut on this one.

So where do we go from here? We have called, written letters, BBB, Atty. General, Mr. Goldstein, Mr. Fain and still they have refused to budge. There have been a lucky few who have gotten their original location back (due to finding out about it here on CC). But for those of us on Alaska Cruises in May-August where they have full ships...what else can we do? I am so very frustrated. It is clear that they have no intention of reinstating us back to our original locations. We just seem to be getting absolutely no where.

Completely agree. When our D2 flooded the first night of our cruise, we got $300 OBC and 1/2 off a future cruise. We thought that was fair, and now we're spending a "boatload" on our next cruise. It's just plain good business.

So where do we go from here? We have called, written letters, BBB, Atty. General, Mr. Goldstein, Mr. Fain and still they have refused to budge. There have been a lucky few who have gotten their original location back (due to finding out about it here on CC). But for those of us on Alaska Cruises in May-August where they have full ships...what else can we do? I am so very frustrated. It is clear that they have no intention of reinstating us back to our original locations. We just seem to be getting absolutely no where.

Bigcat47 have you considered asking for an upgrade?

Its worth a try isnt it? I reckon you could point out that your corner aft is a prime location and equal to the next level up ie. grand suite and that you would very much appreciate RCI considering making you a very happy LOYAL customer ..... Go in with some flattering words based on previous cruises and then suggest that they can rectify this by upgrading you.

Just an idea!

I understand they'll be unhappy, but the point of my detailed post was to outline significant compensation to make those unhappy folks whole, i.e. onboard credits worth at least $1k for the same sailing or a credit of roughly $2k+ for a future sailing.

Any way you slice it, $200 in OBC is a flat-out insult in compensation for being displaced from a ~$5k cabin you booked a year ago.

Having taken a cruise with my wife and her sisters and their families this past November on Carnival, I am aware of some of the limitations faced by the cruise lines when it comes to the accommodations. When it comes to previously booked accommodations, however, there is absolutely NO excuse for what was done.

I realize the cruise lines have protected themselves with the smug little notice about being able to change accommodations on the passengers without notice. That is tantamount to Congress stating they can change or cancel the Civil Service retirement plan at any time without notice, which they legally can. This does not mean either action is morally correct.

The offer of $200 in shipboard credit was an insult! They offer passengers $200 in shipboard credit for signing up for a credit card associated with the cruise line!! An appropriate offer of compensation, if the previous reservation could/would not be honored would have been at least $500 shipboard credit with free drinks for the entire cruise.

Archived