Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

1351 posts - large threads seem to slow CC down.

Or by a request by the OP or even RCL. If it were due to it simply being a large thread, we would have seen a new one start up already to continue the conversation. Bottom line, we'll never know for sure.

Speaking strictly for myself, had RCI returned us to the original cabin location that we booked when they were contacted, that would have been the end for me. I would not have thought that I was entitled to an onboard credit, or any other compensation at that point. IF that had happened, I would have been a happy camper.

I realize there are others that look for any excuse to squeeze a few bucks out of a simple mistake. I don't. But that window closed 2 months ago, when this stopped being a simple mistake. Instead of taking care of those affected, RCI dug in their heels, and refused the opportunity to show that they did in fact care about their guests.

Had RCI taken care of me 2 months ago, I would have had no reason to write to anyone, complain to anyone, or cause RCI any grief whatsoever. Would the second bookers have been upset ? Of course they would. But how many would have agreed with their argument that they were rightfully entitled to that cabin ?

Not nearly as many as have voiced their displeasure at what actually took place.

Completely agree and echo Bill here. I'd even be willing to try booking with them again in the future if they simply called, apologized profusely for all the trouble, and then gave me my cabin back and took away my OBC.

Here's the reason for RCCL's decision not to move the "second group" or to contact them and ask them to move. RCCL made a mistake and they know it. All of the "first group" or reservations are upset (or will be when everyone discover the problem) and even if RCCL put every back into the original cabin you will still be upset. By contacting the "second group" all RCCL will accomplish will be to upset a second group of passengers. That makes no sense from a business decision. It doesn't matter if is fair, upseting more passngers doesn't help RCCL. I agree with RCCL's business decision on this issue, it's the only thing that makes sense.

I think you are right, as far at stating what their thinking WAS as that time. But now, what on earth are they thinking now that the situation has played out proving that, in actual fact far, far more people are aware their idiotic mistake, and are very upset by it. If they have any sense, they'd realize now that was the wrong way to go.

Completely agree and echo Bill here. I'd even be willing to try booking with them again in the future if they simply called, apologized profusely for all the trouble, and then gave me my cabin back and took away my OBC.

As would we. I imagine that Royal Caribbean would like this to just go away. The fact of the matter is that "this" will not go away, but "we" will.

Knowing from the thread what RCL has not done I found it very interesting that I recieved back an email that I sent to RCL about this..I just shook my head

Dear Dale

Thank you for taking the time to contact Royal Caribbean International. I am pleased to have the opportunity to address your concerns.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding the recent changes of the deck plan of the Rhapsody of the Seas. Please rest assured that we are working with the guests who were affected by this change.

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Mr. Fishner, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Diana

Sr. Executive Representative

Knowing from the thread what RCL has not done I found it very interesting that I recieved back an email that I sent to RCL about this..I just shook my head

Dear Dale

Thank you for taking the time to contact Royal Caribbean International. I am pleased to have the opportunity to address your concerns.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding the recent changes of the deck plan of the Rhapsody of the Seas. Please rest assured that we are working with the guests who were affected by this change.

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Mr. Fishner, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Diana

Wow, that's EXACTLY the same response that Cindy got (post #302). So they haven't changed course at all.

Maybe email back and call the bluff with a link to this thread?

Feel exactly the same way!!

I know others have posted about this as well...but what a ROYAL screwup. I am so upset that RCCL does not have the courage to do what is right by the passengers that booked early on the" NEW" RHAPSODY. If you booked an aft cabin on deck 8 prior to January---your cabin # has been changed and you are no longer aft. Someone who booked well after you has been booked into your aft JS. Everyone has a story and everyone wants their room back. We booked the aft as this is a dream trip for us to Alaska. We only wanted an Aft cabin. Had we not been able to book one, we would have picked a different week! Everyone just wants RCCL to step up and tell us WHY?? Why treat loyal customers with such disrespect?

If this happened to me in your situation I'd probably also take the OBC, then next time I cruise make sure it's not with RCCL. I would definitely switch lines over this type of treatment. Make the most of your vacation, you can't change what you can't change. But move on to a better line that treats their customers right. Try seeing if the lines match status if you have it (I've only taken 1 cruise on NCL who treated me great), so I don't know much about status on cruise lines. I do know that airlines are usually willing to match status from other airlines. Get NCL or another cruise line you like and get them to give you the status you already earned with RCCL and never look back... And go somewhere WARM next time lol!

Dear Dale

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Mr. XXXXXXXXX, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Diana

I received the same canned reply.... Doesn't look like RCCL is doing anything for their customers... This is a shame...

Sochie

I have yet to cruise so take my comments with a splash of seawater but if a passenger booked a specific location - they should be entitled to that room. In the remodeling process which I'm sure is complicated enough and squeezed into a narrow time frame someone failed to realize that prior booking room numbers might be changing. I'm not one for hostilities and confrontations so I probably would have negotiated for something more than $200. I would not have cancelled my cruise for that issue but I would book on another line the second time out to sea. As a former Innkeeper I worked hard to see that guests were satisfied to the best of my ability - that doesn't seem to be the case here and I sure sympathize with your situation and hope you can overcome the disappointment and enjoy the cruise in spite of it. From all the guest comments I think my first cruise will be with Azamara Quest - the crew sounds exemplary.

Great hospitality starts from the top down and Azamara seems to know that.

As we used to say in the Innkeeping business "Hospitality is the art of making people feel at home - even though you wished they were" LOL.

Wow, that's EXACTLY the same response that Cindy got (post #302). So they haven't changed course at all.

Maybe email back and call the bluff with a link to this thread?

I Just sent this response back to them

Sorry to say nothing has been addressed the people whose cabins were switched are in the same situation you really need to read the thread on Cruise Critic. I really feel bad for those who booked these cabins so far out and to have these cabins taken away from them because of room number changes is not right.

" Please rest assured that we are working with the guests who were affected by this change" these are your words the customers that have been affected are saying that this has not been addressed so someone is not be truthful here..

I am sending you a link to the thread read it please and you will see just how many people are really upset with RCL is it really worth it to let this go on as long as it has. I am a big fan of RCL but the lack of communication on RCL part in taking care of this issue it is just poor customer service.

paperclip.gif Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

I have yet to cruise so take my comments with a splash of seawater but if a passenger booked a specific location - they should be entitled to that room. In the remodeling process which I'm sure is complicated enough and squeezed into a narrow time frame someone failed to realize that prior booking room numbers might be changing. I'm not one for hostilities and confrontations so I probably would have negotiated for something more than $200. I would not have cancelled my cruise for that issue but I would book on another line the second time out to sea. As a former Innkeeper I worked hard to see that guests were satisfied to the best of my ability - that doesn't seem to be the case here and I sure sympathize with your situation and hope you can overcome the disappointment and enjoy the cruise in spite of it. From all the guest comments I think my first cruise will be with Azamara Quest - the crew sounds exemplary.

Great hospitality starts from the top down and Azamara seems to know that.

As we used to say in the Innkeeping business "Hospitality is the art of making people feel at home - even though you wished they were" LOL.

This s not the first time an RCI ship has gone through major renovations including having entire sections added to them. It should be a routine part of the process to know that cabin numberts will be changing and to account for that in the booking process.

I Just sent this response back to them

Sorry to say nothing has been addressed the people whose cabins were switched are in the same situation you really need to read the thread on Cruise Critic. I really feel bad for those who booked these cabins so far out and to have these cabins taken away from them because of room number changes is not right.

" Please rest assured that we are working with the guests who were affected by this change" these are your words the customers that have been affected are saying that this has not been addressed so someone is not be truthful here..

I am sending you a link to the thread read it please and you will see just how many people are really upset with RCL is it really worth it to let this go on as long as it has. I am a big fan of RCL but the lack of communication on RCL part in taking care of this issue it is just poor customer service.

paperclip.gif Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

I suspect that RCI has been reading this thread for some time. You didn't have to send the link to them.;)

I think this really sucks! It's true that "stuff" happens but when it does and you are the person in charge, and have the ability to make change, just make it right. You have the power. Period.

Somebody just posted on the "Royal Room Problem" thread that Ms. Dolphin sent a followup email apologizing and increasing the OBC to $500. Has anybody else heard from her?

If this is true, there might be a few feathers smoothed, but I doubt many. It takes a long committment and planning from someone who's heart is set on the aft cabins. It's a goal and they won the prize. And then to go through all of this rediculous stress and struggle while feeling like they didn't matter to RC. It isn't too late. They need to accept their mistake, swollow their pride; and make it right. Offer the $500 to the newby's and and just give the original people the room they've spent many, many months dreaming about. I'm not directly involved, but indirectly; I fear to receive the same treatment. They need to stop this insanity and clean up their mess.

If this is true, there might be a few feathers smoothed, but I doubt many. It takes a long committment and planning from someone who's heart is set on the aft cabins. It's a goal and they won the prize. And then to go through all of this rediculous stress and struggle while feeling like they didn't matter to RC. It isn't too late. They need to accept their mistake, swollow their pride; and make it right. Offer the $500 to the newby's and and just give the original people the room they've spent many, many months dreaming about. I'm not directly involved, but indirectly; I fear to receive the same treatment. They need to stop this insanity and clean up their mess.

I agree- the people who should be offered the $500 obc are the secondary bookers. The original bookers should be given what they originally booked-there is no other fair solution.

No amount of money would make up for the disappointment of losing out probably the most coveted spot on the ship. I cannot understand why the execs at RCI have not figured this out yet. It's like winning the lotto (from a ticket that was paid for in good faith), and then having the lottery officials tell you they renumbered the winning tickets and the winnings go to the owners of the renumbered tickets. It is ethically, morally (and should be legally) wrong.

I suspect that RCI has been reading this thread for some time. You didn't have to send the link to them.;)

I am sure you are right about them reading the thread just wanted to let them know so were others and at last count 29000;)

I have a horrible feeling the same thing is going to happen with Grandeur. There's another thread on here asking about a cabin which is open for booking but doesn't exist on the deck plans. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33585746&posted=1#

How can they possibly not know what the deck plans will be :eek:

Pleased to see that the new deckplans have been published for Grandeur and they've managed to get round the Rhapsody problem by being a little creative with the numbering of the new cabins.

Bill, might be worth giving her a holler back.

Some more details with my situation. I actually got my credit increased to $500 a couple weeks ago...I didn't share it with CC at the time for a couple of reasons:

1) While I was a little happier with the extra $300 OBC, I still feel as though this situation has been handled wrong and I think those affected are pushing for the correct solution which is to relocate us back to our original cabins. I would gladly surrender any OBC to the person now in the corner aft in order to get back the cabin I booked. It's easy enough for my wife and I to earn back a few hundred bucks at our jobs, but from a value perspective...well...realistically this is the only trip we'll make to Alaska in our young lives, so I'm not sure how to stick a dollar value on getting a magical view of it.

2.) The offer of the increase to $500 I got was not from corporate (i.e. not from Ms. Dolphin) but rather negotiated through my TA via his district-level RCI reps. Since my situation is an outlier (we actually tried to take this sailing last year, same cabin, and couldn't due to RCI -- long story), I assumed that the way the additional OBC was obtained wouldn't apply to everyone. I didn't want to go and set an expectation for everyone if my extra credit wasn't a corporate-level decision.

That said, if Ms. Dolphin is now involved, that should be a corporate-level decision and should apply to anyone I would think. It's not much, but it's probably the bare minimum damage control to change the public majority's perception of the incident.

Pleased to see that the new deckplans have been published for Grandeur and they've managed to get round the Rhapsody problem by being a little creative with the numbering of the new cabins.

That is good to see. Perhaps they've at least taken away a lesson from this debacle. But I still think their ultimate solution is the wrong one...

Archived