Disgusted with RCL and Rhapsody Cabin changes!

Everyone gave up ?

My DW just arrived in Seattle this morning, will be disembarking in a few hours. She said that she never heard any grumbling about the aft cabin changes in the CL for her trip.

So, today the Seattle to Seattle, Alaska run starts! We will see if there is any feedback from anyone of the Vancouver to Seattle run, that has now, almost ended!;)

Rick

My DW just arrived in Seattle this morning, will be disembarking in a few hours. She said that she never heard any grumbling about the aft cabin changes in the CL for her trip.

So, today the Seattle to Seattle, Alaska run starts! We will see if there is any feedback from anyone of the Vancouver to Seattle run, that has now, almost ended!;)

Rick

I'll be on board in 3 weeks and will keep my ears open. We have one of the forward JS's that was not renumbered ... at least as far as I know.

Bob

I have not written a letter personally, although I have thought about it. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that they have followed this thread. I probably should write and explain why this situation has bothered me enough to not book with them this year even though I've had two absolutely wonderful cruises with them in the past.

I just cannot get past the fact that they have not offered an explanation for why they will not rectify the error they made and restore the rooms to the original bookers.

The mistake itself is not what caused me to choose another line, but it is how they handled the situation after it became known.

The only solution in my mnd is to call the people who were allowed to book someone else's room and apologize profusely while explaining what happened and that they must give the room back. I'm sure some of these people will be rightfully upset, but ultimately, mistakes happen. It is up to RCI to correct the mistake and clearly they had no intentions of doing so.

I do wonder what their response would have been if Inside Edition or other major newstory aired this story instead of the drinking story. What would their reasoning be for not doing the right thing? That's what I want to know because right now, as a result of their lack of response, I believe they simply don't care about these customers and they are counting on this situation not affecting their bottom dollar.

Perhaps a letter is in order

MDSue......your last sentence says it all!!

Royal Caribbeans philosphy will continue until the line starts to sail with empty cabins. They would rather lower the price of a cabin, then to give good customer service. "Customer service" is actually a word that Mr. Goldstein has never understood........even though the stock has continued downward and we wonder why???

When Mr. Fain finally steps to the plate and replaces the worst CEO that Royal Caribbean has had........ever...and gets someone to run the ship with an eye on both the bottom line, and customer service.....and indeed I should reverse the order.

And I have stated that to corporate, but it's met with a deaf ear.

It's not that we are treated poorly, we are not. But we know people that have been treated poorly, and that is what I don't like about corporate.

We are close to our next free cruise, then headed back to Celebrity next year, where I feel that from the CEO on down, people are treated better, and even though it falls under the umbrella of RCCL (stock symbol RCL), the mother fleet (Royal Caribbean) pushes the bottom line, and that of the stock.

I could go on.....but I need to get off of my soap box!:D

I have been moved to other cabins by NCL. We booked side-by-side cabins and they moved us to a different deck and the cabins were not on the same side of the ship! It took a lot of negotiating, but NCL eventually gave us side-by-side rooms and $200 per inside cabin.

RCL should bump the new people out of the aft corner cabin. Those in charge know these are prized cabins. It does not matter what the cabin number is, an aft corner cabin is aft corner cabin. The OP should get what he booked. He booked an ACC he should get the ACC plus the $500 obc for hiis inconvenience and 25% discount on a future cruise. First come, first served.

Also, I agree contact the media.

What I learned about RCL is if you do not complain loud enough when they do something wrong or in this case just plain stupid they hope the issue dies and goes away and if enough people put up a fuss about it then they will deal with the problem...I have seen over and over again through the years on some of the decisions they make and then they start pedaling backwards.

Just curious to see if there are any updates to the room issue? For those on Cruise to Alaska now or upcoming..have you received any compensation or your original booked aft cabin back? We have had no luck in getting cabin back.

Well it looks like one of the aft cabins opened up for our cruise on the 1st of June, but they refuse to make any compensations for us and the cabin will now only hold two people instead of three. My brother tried valiantly to no avail. We will be staying mid ship with a 500 OBC.

Still hoping for a great cruise though.

Well it looks like one of the aft cabins opened up for our cruise on the 1st of June, but they refuse to make any compensations for us and the cabin will now only hold two people instead of three. My brother tried valiantly to no avail. We will be staying mid ship with a 500 OBC.

Still hoping for a great cruise though.

So how did you find out that an aft had opened up? We are on for the 15th? Do you know which Aft cabin # now says for 2 people?

Just back from our trip on Rhapsody late last night. We had a good cruise, saw what we wanted to see, and enjoyed ourselves.

As expected, the crew did take care of us, in their normal, efficient way. If there was anything we needed during the week, we only had to ask. But that has always been the norm for us. The ship's crew being forced to deal with Miami's shortcomings.

There were no confrontations between new bookings and old. We barely saw the two men that occupied the corner aft directly next to our cabin, and there were no conversations. Seemed to us to be a waste of a great balcony on their part.

For our part, we made sure that our onboard charges matched the measly $200 onboard credit that we received, in exchange for having our cabin sold out from under us. I think we went over by $7.00. By the time RCI submits the charge to Visa, that should about match the $1.00 a day that RCI wants to spend to feed each guest during a cruise in the main dining room.

At any rate, the cruise is behind us, and so is Royal Caribbean.

For our part, we made sure that our onboard charges matched the measly $200 onboard credit that we received, in exchange for having our cabin sold out from under us. I think we went over by $7.00. By the time RCI submits the charge to Visa, that should about match the $1.00 a day that RCI wants to spend to feed each guest during a cruise in the main dining room.

This part was funny ;)

I feel bad every time I think about how Royal mismanaged your carefully planned vacation. It's a shame that the other guests did not make much use of their balcony. I'm glad you were able to have a decent time in spite of what happened.

So how did you find out that an aft had opened up? We are on for the 15th? Do you know which Aft cabin # now says for 2 people?

You would do a dummy booking to see what cabins/rates are for your sailing.

Also just call and ask about cabins available.

Sorry you didn't get your original cabin back. :(

Just back from our trip on Rhapsody late last night. We had a good cruise, saw what we wanted to see, and enjoyed ourselves.

As expected, the crew did take care of us, in their normal, efficient way. If there was anything we needed during the week, we only had to ask. But that has always been the norm for us. The ship's crew being forced to deal with Miami's shortcomings.

There were no confrontations between new bookings and old. We barely saw the two men that occupied the corner aft directly next to our cabin, and there were no conversations. Seemed to us to be a waste of a great balcony on their part.

At any rate, the cruise is behind us, and so is Royal Caribbean.

So sad -- I guess I hoped something magical would happen at the last minute, but I should have figured differently.

What's next for you guys? I assume nothing in the RCI network...switching to NCL maybe?

Just curious. What sailing are you on? We also got "moved" with the renovation. We are currently on the last cabin starboard side on the June 29th cruise. We are taking this cruise to celebrate my husband's safe return from Afghanistan as well as his birthday. Although he is not hot under the collar about this, I am livid!

Guess I should have double-triple-quadruple checked this one out!

We booked a corner aft JS simply because it was available. We would have been fine with a D2 and we now have a slightly bigger D2 for JS pricing. UGH!!!! For 11 days, Vancouver to Honolulu, it would have been super to have the original location. I am trying to get past livid and simply recall the happy glow I had when I had originally booked the aft corner location. On our only other RCCL cruise, a Transatlantic, the Windjammer was under construction for the duration, so we and the other passengers were crammed into other spaces for meals unless we wanted to go to the main dining room. Silly me! I was looking for really experiencing the RC hospitality the way it should have been on our last cruise with them. Live and learn. Cruising is still a nice break from homestyle reality and we need to remember that! Good luck to you and your hubby! RCCL can do the right thing but whether they will is their call. Many thanks to your hubby for serving our great Nation!

So sad -- I guess I hoped something magical would happen at the last minute, but I should have figured differently.

What's next for you guys? I assume nothing in the RCI network...switching to NCL maybe?

Not sure what's next for us. Still looking at our options. We have been looking at Disney and Princess. We don't want to limit ourselves to one line, like we did with Royal. Hope you have a good cruise also.

For what it's worth- after debating on a cruise for almost 3 months now, we decided to go with NCL for 2 reasons - the price, and the way they have treated all of you. Strangely, my PCC at Royal, Erica Iwanow, said that her customers that had been effected were treated well and were really pleased with the outcome, but that she agrees that Royal could have handled the situation better.... too bad Royal, you lost another one over this!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we are back from our June 1,2012 Alaska sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas. The boat was lovely and they did a wonderful job during the dry dock. The crew and staff were all fantastic as well. I can't imagine sailing with a nicer and more helpful bunch.

We were a little unsure at first. A lot of little things are missing on the RCI line. I guess we have been spoiled by Celebrity In the past. The first night on the ship we experienced a little floor popping in our JS that made it impossible to sleep. The night crew moved us to another room for the night so that we could get some sleep. The next day we were called by the head man In charge with an offer to move to another cabin so they could make repairs on our cabin. I am pleased to report that they moved us to the Owners Suite for the duration of the cruise. The room and especially the bathroom were beautiful. Our room steward was wonderful and all of the perks that come with the suite were well enjoyed also. I could definitely get used to that level of travel.

I am not sure if I will travel with RCI again in the future, but I appreciate all of the people that we dealt with on the ship. I am curious as to whether our pre-cruise disaster precipitated this move or not. It would be interesting information to have.

• 6 months later...

Frankly, the originally booked persons....should have priority status over the room for someone who then booked it later on! RCL should have honored the room for those that booked early and immediately contacted them of the room number changes. PERIOD.

Then deal with the newly booked disgruntled passengers after explaining this room was double booked because of a technical error and offer them the same apology and compensation. Chances are they would be less upset and happy with their newfound perks...as they only recently booked. Or they can cancel if not happy.

The original people booking this room already invested airfare and vacation time etc....and were treated unfairly (IMHO)

• 3 weeks later...
I heard the same thing happened on Navigator

I am due to sail on Brilliance 8/31 after refurbish and have an AFT and hope the same does not happen to us

Janet

That's odd because I didn't think Navigator had been in dry dock yet.

Archived