Staggered Boarding in Seattle

1025cruise

My travel agent got an "emergency notification" e-mail from Princess yesterday regarding our booking. We cruise out of Seattle this Sunday.

The only thing that was different on this pdf from the earlier payment confirmation, etc. was a notice that they would be doing staggered boarding.

Weird. Well on our trip from Seattle June 3-10, there was no hint at all of any sort of staggered boarding. We arrived at 11:35 and just went through the security line and then through the checkin line. There was a lot of people already up there, but we got through checkin and joined the boarding line at 12:05. It was queued from dockside and back up into the main building. They started letting people on board around 12:15. Not sure if platinums or elites or suites were already being boarded before that, as we are not one of those. We were on board at 12:45.

Hi critterchick,

Thanks for the great information. In case our "woman at the counter" is more like the other woman that hadn't heard about priority boarding door, would you tell us where it is in relation to the check in counters?

When you get upstairs, there will be a queue for the security scanners. When you exit that queue (you'll be facing the ship), the check in counters are to your right. The priority boarding door is to your left of that queue. When we were there, the ladies that were policing the lines knew exactly where that door was and directed us through. It was very nice because once through there, you end up on the other side of the very long line to board. If you want a picture, you'll have to get the photographer's attention.

My travel agent got an "emergency notification" e-mail from Princess yesterday regarding our booking. We cruise out of Seattle this Sunday.

The only thing that was different on this pdf from the earlier payment confirmation, etc. was a notice that they would be doing staggered boarding.

I called Princess to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the booking to cause the "emergency notification" that wasn't reflected on their notice. The agent said, nope. The notice was sent to inform people about their staggered boarding times. I said I didn't like the wording, it didn't sound like much of an emergency to me and was unnecessarily alarming.

I think the intent is just to get your attention and make sure that the notification is read, otherwise some folks might think it was just marketing material.

And, as I posted before, there was no sign of staggered boarding on our June 2nd sailing in Seattle.

Edited by RickEk

So far as I know no one was checking. We just walked through the line, gave them our suitcases, and then went upstairs. They did check our paperwork before giving us cards, but that's pretty normal and it would have been tough to turn us back at that point. Since they were loading the suitcases by deck they may have been visually checking the tags then, but we didn't see or hear anyone mentioning it so either everyone was on the up and up or they didn't care. I suspect the latter. We thought it was brilliant that they would loading the suitcases by deck. That has to make their jobs much easier than the typical mash of suitcases altogether we've seen on other lines.

Tom

Were they actually having staggered boarding or did you just show up and board? Did somebody check to make sure you were coming at your appointed time? We had no such experience ourselves. But perhaps it's a moot point now.

When you get upstairs, there will be a queue for the security scanners. When you exit that queue (you'll be facing the ship), the check in counters are to your right. The priority boarding door is to your left of that queue. When we were there, the ladies that were policing the lines knew exactly where that door was and directed us through. It was very nice because once through there, you end up on the other side of the very long line to board. If you want a picture, you'll have to get the photographer's attention.

I think the intent is just to get your attention and make sure that the notification is read, otherwise some folks might think it was just marketing material.

And, as I posted before, there was no sign of staggered boarding on our June 2nd sailing in Seattle.

Thanks a bunch!

Just out of curiousity for our upcoming 9/15 cruise, sent an email to our travel agent & coordinator about whether or not there will be staggered boarding for our cruise & will post whatever reply I receive. Interesting to see how this has been playing out.

We plan to check out of our hotel & take a shuttle or taxi to the pier early. If they're not ready for us, we will bide our time until they let us board, but want to see what reply the travel agent is able to get on this subject.

Just out of curiousity for our upcoming 9/15 cruise, sent an email to our travel agent & coordinator about whether or not there will be staggered boarding for our cruise & will post whatever reply I receive. Interesting to see how this has been playing out.

We plan to check out of our hotel & take a shuttle or taxi to the pier early. If they're not ready for us, we will bide our time until they let us board, but want to see what reply the travel agent is able to get on this subject.

I would think that you will receive the answer that staggered boarding is in effect. But as has been reported by many people (including myself), there is no sign of staggered boarding in Seattle. :)

The answer you will get will be the same as the information you can see in your personalizer.

We're sailing on the Golden Princess September 15th. Our Travel Summary states the following regarding boarding "Your ship begins boarding at 12:00PM and sets sail at 04:00PM on Sep 15." Nothing is mentioned about staggered boarding. (Keeping my fingers crossed!!!) Maybe it's too early for us to receive additional boading info.

Cannot help but visualize 'staggered boarding'. Everyone in line at noon. Princess provides lots of cheap wine while you wait. All 'stagger' on by 4:00.

That works!

Doug

Hah! Good one... :p

• 3 years later...

I just checked my boarding info and found that we don't board until 2:30! I called Princess and in essence was told it is what it is! Have to be out of our hotel before 11 am. So we're just supposed to cool our heels until 2:30? In a phrase, that really sucks! :mad: this is our first Princess cruise and it will probably be our last!

I just checked my boarding info and found that we don't board until 2:30! I called Princess and in essence was told it is what it is! Have to be out of our hotel before 11 am. So we're just supposed to cool our heels until 2:30? In a phrase, that really sucks! :mad: this is our first Princess cruise and it will probably be our last!

I'm guessing you haven't read much of this thread. Get to the pier whenever you wish. Nobody's going to turn you away. The staggered boarding idea is in reality just a suggestion. Now take a deep breath and enjoy your cruise.

Seriously???

I guess its doomed from the start.

Boarding starts around Noon. Just go to the pier.

Edited by Colo Cruiser