Anchorage stay or go?

PG13

My ship leaves from Seward but it looks like we fly into Anchorage on Wednesday. So I was looking around for how to get to Seward. AlaskaTransport company offers a scenic route or a straight through route. Seems at a minimum it take over 2 hours. I was thinking maybe flight day over night in Anchorage then scenic route to Steward the next night then hop on the ship Friday morning.

So how did you get to Steward?

Where might we want to stop between the 2 cities?

Glaciers?

Got a favorite place to stay in Steward?

Or should we stay both nights in Anchorage and just transfer the day wwe sail to Steward?

Is Anchorage another big city or????

Thanks for your help in advance.

Senic route to Seward? There is only one higway that goes to Seward from Anchorage. That would be the Seward Highway. I guess if the price is the same take the senic route.

Anchorage is not just another big city. Moose, bear and eagles all within the city limits. If you've never been you should stop and see it. Just don't view Anchorage as the dowtown area. There is lots, lots more to it then that. Land wise it's the 4th largest city in the United States at over 1,700 square miles. Mountains on the east side and oceans on the west.

If it is within your budget and your cruise isn't already hitting these areas going southbound, find a tour operator in Anchorage that offers Day Cruises to COLLEGE FJORD and other glaciers or a Day Cruise to KENAI FJORDS.

Also as mentioned the road heading southbound is already pretty scenic. You can take the Alaska Railroad day train or the bus transfer, the latter may have a rest stop to view scenery close up.

Train info:

http://alaskarailroad.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/298/Default.aspx

http://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-railroad/train-finder.html?gclid=COr1jsuAtq8CFacSNAodIXTqjA

As seen during the bus ride:

BG

BG

BG

and if you decide to stay in Anchorage I highly reccomend the Hotel Captan Cook!!! and Definately have dinner at the Glacier Brew House!!! the Smoked Salmon Fetticine is to die for!!! There are wonderful Galleries on 4th Ave, and take a trip to Earthquake Park.... Anchorage host most of the population in the State of Alaska... so you will find most all large Department Stores but you will also find a wonderful selection of small local stores as well with excellent selections of Native Crafts....You can also visit the Native Heritage Center and the Alaska Zoo....

IF you have a couple days, if you want extra glaciers, then do a day trip out of Whittier on a PWS glacier boat tour, just excellent.

There are various modes of transit to Seward. The Alaska RR is a great scenic choice. There also are road trips, that are best to consider it is going to be more than two hours. I suggest you consider finding out, IF you wish to take advantage of any touring?? With extra time and an overnight at Seward- can really experience great touring. For many people, the idea of Alaska is linked with wildlife- a significant touring for this is at least 6 hours on the water on a boat tour, of Kenai Fjords.

Some may wish to take full advantage of short time.

You are so helpful to everyone, BIG THANK YOU! I did Alaska 2 years ago and you were there then helping. I took much of your advice and it was so great. I've cut and pasted my tips from this board. My second trip wil have a whole different flavor.

IF you have a couple days, if you want extra glaciers, then do a day trip out of Whittier on a PWS glacier boat tour, just excellent.

There are various modes of transit to Seward. The Alaska RR is a great scenic choice. There also are road trips, that are best to consider it is going to be more than two hours. I suggest you consider finding out, IF you wish to take advantage of any touring?? With extra time and an overnight at Seward- can really experience great touring. For many people, the idea of Alaska is linked with wildlife- a significant touring for this is at least 6 hours on the water on a boat tour, of Kenai Fjords.

Some may wish to take full advantage of short time.

Archived