Another Boston Hotel question

Jan_In_Maine

We will be in Boston on September 21st (Friday morning and Saturday until the afternoon) (after we get back from our cruise) - Saturday afternoon we will go back to Maine.

Looking at Hotwire, and thought about financial district (near Quincy Market). We will be getting off the ship - will have luggage - so will need a hotel that will stow the bags until check in. We will have to take a taxi from the ship and on Saturday to south Station.

Not looking to shop - want to go to the Aquarium and to probably both Mike's and Moderns - (don't mind walking - will help with the eating).

Any ideas or other locations, hotels, etc. - just the two of us - want to keep it about $250 (would like 4 star if possible - if using hotwire). Would like it near somewhere for dinner - not really fancy.

Thanks, Jan

PS - last year gave one "child" a 2 nite getaway at the Omni-Parker house - they loved it (so I'm sure that is an option for us)

There are two Hotwire options for your date. A 4* Waterfront hotel for $156 that is likely to be the Westin. Close to the pier and South Station, so a taxi would be inexpensive. Also a 4* Quincy Market hotel that is likely to be the Ames. Close to Quincy market on Court St which is by the Old State House at State and Washington. There are restaurants in both areas.

All hotels will hold your bags, so don't worry about that.

Don't get overexcited about our Aquarium. It was state of the art when they opened it some 35-40 years ago, but it's just not that highly rated anymore.

Thanks for the replys ---138east - I'll probably go with Ames, but the Westin also looks nice (I really don'tneed to worry about it for awhile)

Nitemare - For some reason my DH really wants to go to the aquarium - so if it means that he's willing to spend an extra day not working, I don't mind! :D Also thanks for the info on bag holding!!

Thanks again! Jan

That's not true Jan. If you want to use Hotwire for a fall weekend in Boston and something is available, you have to make a decision. With all the fall activities, the good deals go quickly, particularly when the college schedules come out. I've already looked at other weekends in Oct where there are absolutely no "deals" to recommend.

138East - Ok - which would you pick and why?? I can decide this week - I'm leaning toward the Ames, just because of the closeness to the Aquarium - Is it also closer to the north end - I know DH wants to get cannoli's. Thanks, Jan

Good location for the North End and Cannolis. Make sure you visit Mike's Pastries, for the experience, but I hear the cannolis are better at Modern or Bova.

Onyx has (had?) a Britney Spears room. Maybe you'll get that one!

The Onyx looks good - quick walk to Faneuil Hall and over to the Aquarium as well as the North End. It's tucked away on a side street near the Boston Garden - shouldn't be too noisy.

I'm sorry it wasn't the Ames, but it's still a 4* hotel for $200. I watch the Boston hotels a lot and I know that rooms in the fall can often be at a premium when the date gets closer.

The Onyx looks good - quick walk to Faneuil Hall and over to the Aquarium as well as the North End. It's tucked away on a side street near the Boston Garden - shouldn't be too noisy.

I'm sorry it wasn't the Ames, but it's still a 4* hotel for $200. I watch the Boston hotels a lot and I know that rooms in the fall can often be at a premium when the date gets closer.

138East - I think the hotel will work well, as you said its a quick walk to the areas that we want to go .... and they have a manager's reception for an hour with wine .... can't go wrong with wine :D Jan

You'll want to check the Aquarium's website around the time of your visit... I know they're planning a big renovation and will be closing a lot of the public areas, so while it will still be open, you won't be able to see as much. http://news.neaq.org/2012/02/aquarium-renovation-is-front-page-news.html

As for the North End - if you want good cannoli where the locals get them - try Maria's. ;)

You'll want to check the Aquarium's website around the time of your visit... I know they're planning a big renovation and will be closing a lot of the public areas, so while it will still be open, you won't be able to see as much. http://news.neaq.org/2012/02/aquarium-renovation-is-front-page-news.html

As for the North End - if you want good cannoli where the locals get them - try Maria's. ;)

Thanks for the information on the Aquarium - Last time we had to try both Mike's & Modern ... we'll have to add another "m" - where is Maria's located? (we got lost the last time and had to ask directions every block) - it was amazing how many different people had their own ideas of the best place to get cannoli's!:D

• 2 months later...
I think a great idea would be to find a hotel near Kenmore Square. There are some awesome restaurants in the area, just not too sure about hotels. I know that MassVacation has awesome info about Massachusetts on their site, including lodging and restaurants. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks so much for the website - I've enjoyed looking at all the information:). I think we are now all set for a hotel. I've been looking at the "Boston by Foot" website and I would like to do a north end tour.... it is so much fun to plan!:D Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have a brand new Boston hotel question

I believe we will be going down to Boston the night before the cruise - we are going by Concord into South Station. We will not be arriving until 8:00pm on Thursday night.

I'm now looking for a hotel not too far from port -- nothing fancy, but it needs somewhere that we can have a quick dinner and then sleep. I had thought Back Bay, but I'm not sure if that is the correct location. I will probably try Hot Wire as long as I'm comfortable that I am correct on locations. Would like to stay around the $200 range (or less if possible ---but probably not possible!!!) Thanks, Jan

Jan,

I'm having trouble finding much of anything for 9/13. But I did find the Marriott Copley on aa.com for $214 for a standard room, so you could be a candidate for Twickenham's strategy to get another 25% off. Look around on this board for her other Boston posts for a detailed description of what this involves.

As long as you are in the Waterfront, Quincy Market, Theater, or Financial area you will be fine on Hotwire. Do not do South Boston or the airport.

I have no idea what's going on for that date, but the pickings are slim.

Jan,

I'm having trouble finding much of anything for 9/13. But I did find the Marriott Copley on aa.com for $214 for a standard room, so you could be a candidate for Twickenham's strategy to get another 25% off. Look around on this board for her other Boston posts for a detailed description of what this involves.

As long as you are in the Waterfront, Quincy Market, Theater, or Financial area you will be fine on Hotwire. Do not do South Boston or the airport.

I have no idea what's going on for that date, but the pickings are slim.

Yankees are playing Red Sox that weekend but that shouldn't fill the hotels.

Is that a big weekend for college students to be moving into dorms? Parents/families are bringing the students and need hotels?

Students come back at the end of August. There are two conventions, but don't know if they are really big or not. One ends on 9/12. Too early for parents to visit. It just may be that it is the first full work week for business travel after the summer.

Now I have a brand new Boston hotel question

I believe we will be going down to Boston the night before the cruise - we are going by Concord into South Station. We will not be arriving until 8:00pm on Thursday night.

I'm now looking for a hotel not too far from port -- nothing fancy, but it needs somewhere that we can have a quick dinner and then sleep. I had thought Back Bay, but I'm not sure if that is the correct location. I will probably try Hot Wire as long as I'm comfortable that I am correct on locations. Would like to stay around the $200 range (or less if possible ---but probably not possible!!!) Thanks, Jan

Possible, IF you follow the method for making a LNF lowest rate claim with Marriott that I describe in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30308190&postcount=8; that would get you the Marriott Copley Place for $161.08.

Archived