What Prepackaged Food Do You Bring With You?

I've never considered bringing our own snacks and such on a cruise before, however, on our last cruise we found ourselves craving certain things which we either couldn't get on board or finding ourselves spending far too much for items which should have cost half the price if we were on land (chips, nuts, etc.) let alone, we didn't like the brands or types available.

Also, my BF is diabetic so having some food in the cabin for a quick pick-me-up really is kind of important. We don't mind doing room service, but seriously, having to wait can be problematic at times.

So, I'd love to hear what kinds of food items everyone takes with them that are easy to pack, don't take up too much space and are good at satisfying cravings and maybe even a bit nutritious as well :D

Thanks!

I'm not a sweet eater... therefore I usually bring salty snacks such as the Ritz Snack Mix 100 calorie bags or Cheez Its Snack Mix. Sometimes packaged peanuts or Goldfish. We also use these on the plane trips to/from if any are left. We also like trail mix bars or the Nature's Valley Oat Bars (the hard crunchy ones without chocolate) to take in our back packs on tours in case there is no meal, or if its something we don't care to eat.

This is not something from home but something I learned about here on CC:

I request a cheese plate "to go" instead of dessert each night. I take it by the cabin & drop it off after dinner. Then when we return to the room for the night I usually bring back a glass of wine & sit on the balcony & enjoy my wine, cheese, crackers & fruit. The cheese plate is not on the menu but it is just the right size. It has 4-5 small pieces of cheese, 4-5 pecans or walnuts, a few grapes, some dried apricots and a couple packages of crackers.

Guest maddycat
I've never considered bringing our own snacks and such on a cruise before, however, on our last cruise we found ourselves craving certain things which we either couldn't get on board or finding ourselves spending far too much for items which should have cost half the price if we were on land (chips, nuts, etc.) let alone, we didn't like the brands or types available.

Also, my BF is diabetic so having some food in the cabin for a quick pick-me-up really is kind of important. We don't mind doing room service, but seriously, having to wait can be problematic at times.

So, I'd love to hear what kinds of food items everyone takes with them that are easy to pack, don't take up too much space and are good at satisfying cravings and maybe even a bit nutritious as well :D

Thanks!

We don't bring snacks with us. I see that you'll be sailing on the Explorer, we've sailed on her several times. It's a great ship.

We love the staff and crew, very friendly and accommondating. The Cafe Promenade on deck 5 is open 22 to 23 hrs. a day. They close down for cleaning for an hour or two daily. You can get coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk, ice water, fruit, small sandwiches, cookies (including sugar free), cake, and pizza there. It's all free.

This is not something from home but something I learned about here on CC:

I request a cheese plate "to go" instead of dessert each night. I take it by the cabin & drop it off after dinner. Then when we return to the room for the night I usually bring back a glass of wine & sit on the balcony & enjoy my wine, cheese, crackers & fruit. The cheese plate is not on the menu but it is just the right size. It has 4-5 small pieces of cheese, 4-5 pecans or walnuts, a few grapes, some dried apricots and a couple packages of crackers.

good idea!

We usually bring some candy like M&M's or something like that for our kids. Sometimes you just need a little chocolate.

I haven't cruised yet - but this was brought to my attention by our friends we will be going with next year. When my daughters travelled abroad for sport we always sent them with the following:

Granola's

Oatmeal Cookies or Oreo Minis

Crackers

Melba Toast

Fruit to go or Real Fruit (which is a gelatin fruit mix)

Jelly Beans (they pack well)

Crispers/crispy minis (which are a cracker/chip combo) or Bits n Bites

Applesauce

Peanuts

Just for some suggestions.

I am also diabetic, so understand the need to have a snack or two available for a quick sugar infusion. Waiting for room service when you are feeling woosy is not a good option. We also bring snacks with us on our shore excursions for the same reason.

The ones mentioned are all good. In addition I will usually pack Crystal Light or Kool-aid to add to my water bottle, graham crackers, granola bars, peanuts, red licorice, pre-packaged fruit snacks, and the fruit snack things my kids take in the school lunches (don't know what they are called).

I love chocolate too, but it only takes one melted Hershey's bar in my backpack to keep the chocolate at home.

I never thought of the candied ginger for sea sickness. I've only been sick once, on our first cruise. Those would have been perfect. We also have 2 diabetics in our family so bringing snacks is routine for us anywhere we go. Goldfish crackers and a box of Ritz are favorites, along with a bag of those assorted little Hershey bars. :D If there's a fridge in the room for those, even better!

The cheese platter is available from room service.

DH and I order it in the late afternoon and sit on the balcony and enjoy the sights.

We do bring trail mix in individual pouches for the plane ride and excursions.

I too am diabetic. So, I bring a box of peanut butter cheese crackers. More for when we go on an excursion than for when we are on the ship. On our next cruise I will also bring some nuts, peanuts and almonds.

I may try the cheese plate idea too. Sounds great to enjoy with a glass of wine out on the balcony.

I take snacks more for the plane than the ship (we live in California) so the trip is over 5 hours. Cheese/Peanut butter crackers and mixed nuts. Sometimes chocolate of some kind if we are on a trip for over a week.

The Park Cafe has chips (Sun, Doritos and Lays) - at least on the Oasis and Allure. I have not been on any of the 'revised' ships that added the Park Cafe.

Now..if RCCI would loosen up and allow the one bottle of wine per person or two per cabin to be brought onboard...as their competiters do :)

That would be nice. You are able to purchase a bottle of wine at dinner and take the remainder back to your room. We did this one night and our room attendant put 2 glasses in our room when she did our room that evening.

I drink a green superfood smoothie everyday & since I don't want the hassle of that I bring Dr. Schulze's superfood bars with me. I bring some chips & nuts for snaking in the room. Although last cruise we never opened the chips.

If I bring snacks it's usually pnut butter crackers, nuts & choc...for some reason I always seem to crave something salty on a cruise...it's always nice to have a little something in my bag when I am on shore to tide me over till I get back to the ship...

I take zip locs and take cookies or get room service cookies and put them in a bag to have when I want a snack. I have taken cheese back in the room and put in bag and with crackers, have snack there. I take crystal light for no long walks when want something to drink. On celebrity the ice cream place has peanut and regular m&Ms I skip the ice cream and put in my handy dandy zip loc and have candy when I want it.

I DO NOT take anything off the ship.

I have noticed people buying chips like they were gold in the general store. hubs buys candy bars occasionally

Archived