Herculaneum

Sea42

• 1 month later...

Hi Cruisemom, we joined the cruise ship excursion to Pompeii. With dozens of people following the guide, we did not get a good understand of the site. We will visit Napoli again. We plan to visit both sites ourselves. Please send Herculaneum and Pompeii documents to:

stag88@hotmail.com

Thank you very much.

Hi Cruisemom42,

We will sail next year to Italy and Greece. It would be much apreciated, if you could send us your notes on Herculaneum and if possible Pompeij.

My email: stefan.niederer @ gmx.ch

Thanks so much.

Edited by crizzlyhug

I've just finished sending out notes to all the recent requesters.

Hi Cruisemom, we joined the cruise ship excursion to Pompeii. With dozens of people following the guide, we did not get a good understand of the site. We will visit Napoli again. We plan to visit both sites ourselves. Please send Herculaneum and Pompeii documents to:

stag88@hotmail.com

Thank you very much.

Hi Cruisemom42,

We will sail next year to Italy and Greece. It would be much apreciated, if you could send us your notes on Herculaneum and if possible Pompeij.

My email: stefan.niederer @ gmx.ch

Thanks so much.

Please note that my Pompeii notes are extremely detailed and long (approx 50 pages); I used them for a visit to the site of two full days. I am not sure how useful they will be if you are only going to be at Pompeii for part of one day -- they may be more frustrating than helpful.

If you really do think you want them, even with the caveat above, just let me know via email.

Dear /cruisemom42:

We are leaving Tuesday on our cruise, and I would love to have your notes on Herculaneum. You are most gracious to satisfy all the requests you receive. Thanks so much.

wjohnson824@earthlink.net

Your email kicked back to me. The same happened when I tried to send the other notes you requested (on Rome). Do you have a different email address?

• 1 month later...

cruisemom42,

Just wanted you to know that I used your Herculaneum notes with my group in October. I made 2 copies ... one for each couple. The notes were a big help (also printed the map) and added to everyones understanding of the ruins.

Thank you so much for taking your time to research, assemble & distribute the notes to us! :)

And another, please!

stuartsforumaddress at mac dot com.

Thanks, Stuart

I'm traveling at the moment but will try to get them to you when I return home, after January 6.

cruisemom42,

Just wanted you to know that I used your Herculaneum notes with my group in October. I made 2 copies ... one for each couple. The notes were a big help (also printed the map) and added to everyones understanding of the ruins.

Thank you so much for taking your time to research, assemble & distribute the notes to us! :)

I'm so glad that you found them useful. :)

Can someone possibly send me the Herculaneum tour notes written by Cruisemom? We leave in about 36 hours and I would really like to print them before departure. Thanks!

Jkgourmet at yahoo.com

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by jkgourmet

Can someone possibly send me the Herculaneum tour notes written by Cruisemom? We leave in about 36 hours and I would really like to print them before departure. Thanks!

Jkgourmet at yahoo.com

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, per Cruisemom's request, we do not forward her notes.

Please, I'd appreciate it if any requests for my notes were addressed to me. I've asked others not to circulate them widely.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Just some notes on our trip to Herculaneum:

We used a half day ship tour. Coincidentally, we had the same guide we had for Pompeii on a previous cruise. He was excellent both times. Jose really brought the city to life. Unfortunately, this tour was only offered in the afternoon. It was very hot. We had plenty of water and our guide stopped in the shade as much as possible. I enjoyed the Herculaneum tour more than the Pompeii tour since it was more intimate and the buildings were much more intact. There were maybe five other people in Herculaneum besides our small tour group. There was no other staff available.

I you go on your own:

There were no maps available. There were people outside the entrance selling guide books.

There was no toilet paper.

There was no towels to dry your hands.

There was no soap in the bathroom. The bathrooms themselves were clean.

There were very few signs. If you go without a guide make sure you have a book with a good self-guided tour.

Bring lots of water, a hat, and tissue for the bathroom.

Just some notes on our trip to Herculaneum:

We used a half day ship tour. Coincidentally, we had the same guide we had for Pompeii on a previous cruise. He was excellent both times. Jose really brought the city to life. Unfortunately, this tour was only offered in the afternoon. It was very hot. We had plenty of water and our guide stopped in the shade as much as possible. I enjoyed the Herculaneum tour more than the Pompeii tour since it was more intimate and the buildings were much more intact. There were maybe five other people in Herculaneum besides our small tour group. There was no other staff available.

I you go on your own:

There were no maps available. There were people outside the entrance selling guide books.

There was no toilet paper.

There was no towels to dry your hands.

There was no soap in the bathroom. The bathrooms themselves were clean.

There were very few signs. If you go without a guide make sure you have a book with a good self-guided tour.

Bring lots of water, a hat, and tissue for the bathroom.

Just to add: You can get a free map and brief guide to the site at the ticket counter when you purchase your ticket but you have to ask for it; they don't necessarily offer it automatically.

(Also, they may be out of the English version; it happens...;))

Just to add: You can get a free map and brief guide to the site at the ticket counter when you purchase your ticket but you have to ask for it; they don't necessarily offer it automatically.

(Also, they may be out of the English version; it happens...;))

I believe this was the case. They had a sign that said "No Maps" in English. When we were in Pompeii there was also a sign that said "No Maps."

Hi Cruisemom

I've just read through this whole thread and am impressed by the amount of trouble you have gone to to share your research with others...good on you!:) I do lots of research myself for our port stops, so I can appreciate the amount of work involved.

If the notes are still available (and you are not totally over sending them out) I would love a copy when you get a chance, thanks. My email address is:

moocruiser@outlook.com

Thanks so much.:D

Cheers

Amanda

Hi Cruisemom

I've just read through this whole thread and am impressed by the amount of trouble you have gone to to share your research with others...good on you!:) I do lots of research myself for our port stops, so I can appreciate the amount of work involved.

If the notes are still available (and you are not totally over sending them out) I would love a copy when you get a chance, thanks. My email address is:

moocruiser@outlook.com

Thanks so much.:D

Cheers

Amanda

I've just sent them to you. Enjoy!

I've just finished sending out notes to all the recent requesters.

Please note that my Pompeii notes are extremely detailed and long (approx 50 pages); I used them for a visit to the site of two full days. I am not sure how useful they will be if you are only going to be at Pompeii for part of one day -- they may be more frustrating than helpful.

If you really do think you want them, even with the caveat above, just let me know via email.

Do you have any notes on Palermo and the surrounding area? We are going in September 2014.

Do you have any notes on Palermo and the surrounding area? We are going in September 2014.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help there unless you're planning to visit the Roman villa (Villa Romana del Casale) at Piazza Armerina with the most fabulous intact mosaics throughout (and newly restored in 2012). Or with the impressive archaeological site at Morgantina.

Villa Romana del Casale: http://www.villaromanadelcasale.it/en/

Morgantina: http://morgantina.org/