Herculaneum

Sea42

It blew away everything else we saw on out 12 day cruise. Why it is not more famous, I do not know.

I took a car and driver, the train looked like a ton of walking. Also, if you have mobility issues, you can go in to the actual village through the exit, saves many stairs. Just ask the man at the tour recording rental booth.

I should be all caught up with recent requests. If you didn't get the notes, please let me know by posting again.

Hi cruise mom,

We've booked a cruise last week that includes a stop in Naples and we are considering doing Herculaneum on our own. Would be grateful if you could send me your notes. My e-mail is juliemcga at gmail dot com

Many thanks in advance.

I should be all caught up with recent requests. If you didn't get the notes, please let me know by posting again.

Hi Cruisemom42,

Please add us (bigkahuna at rochester dot rr dot com) to the next list of Herculaneum info that you send out. Thank you for sharing.

Cruisemom42 -

I have enjoyed reading many of your posts as I have been researching information for the cruise I am doing this November.

If you are still sharing your notes on Herculaneum, I would be very grateful, as I am trying to put together as many DIY port stops as possible.

Thank you for all of your posts - you have been extremely helpful! I know that it takes a lot of work and for that I am thankful.

Janet

janetrobinson1@verizon.net

Just a reminder that I am still traveling. I should be able to send out notes to those who requested them once I return (week of May 13).

Dear cruisemom, please could you be so kind to send me a copy of your notes of Hercualeum. email:pchin2006@hotmail.com

Much appreciated,

Phyllis

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Cruisemom42, we are cruising in Dec.with a port stop in Naples.

Please, when you have time, send me your info on Herculaneum.

franedk at hotmail dot com.

Thank you.

Frances

Hi all,

Just returned from the Equinox cruise that included a stop in Herculaneum and thought I' d share our experience. We were two couples who had met up on CC looking for a trip to Herculaneum and the Archeology Museum in Naples which the ship did mot offer. Looked into private trips but these were extortionate for just four people. We were advised on CCthat a taxi for four would be 90 euros with a 2 hour stay at the site. We left the cruise terminal but found it hard to get toa taxi as we were approached by a 'broker' who gave us a price of 80 euros plus tip for return to the site, 2 hours there and drop off at the museum. The taxi we got wasn't the shiny big one at the front but a tatty old Seat Ibiza and the scariest drive ever (until the return journey that is). Herculeum was great, you can pick up a map and Audio guide and two hours is just enough time. Would recommend - getting there for 9am, printing off stuff for both here and especially the museum as there are no signs in English and the 12 euro guide book is rubbish - many people had Naples guidebooks that looked more use. ( be prepare for the villa being shut at Herculaneum and missing exhibits at the museum as they are in London at present). Lastly my husband persuaded me to walk the mile or so back to the ship ( as the taxi driver had come that way to show us the location) but this was a bit scary so I would get a another taxi from the rank by the museum - although there is A station under the museum.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi cruisemom42

Could you share your Herculaneum notes with me. We are cruising in late October. Also I noticed in one of your posts you mentioned visiting Tunisia. The cruise we are on makes a stop there as well in the port for Carthage. Do you have any notes or suggestion for that. I really will appreciate your response and your willingness to share with so many.

Thank you!!!

my email caroldan at ptd dot net

Hi Cruisemom42

could you send me your Herculaneum notes and any suggestions you have about Carthage/Tunisia. I noticed you had visited there. This is a duplicate request to one that I posted earlier but not as a response to you directly. my email is caroldan at ptd dot net. Thanks for your help

• 3 weeks later...