Herculaneum

Sea42

We visited Pompeii 2 summers back and frankly were unimpressed, some of our fellow holidaymakers went to Herc instead and really rated it.

Remember that London is currently doing a Pompeii exhibit so some of the artifacts from the museum may be missing and tbh there wasn't much actually inside Pompeii also if you have ANY problem walking Pompeii should be avoided.

Now I'm asking for help. We are berthed in Naples in early May and would like to visit Herc, how can we get from Naples port to Herc in a cost effective way.

If you could help via martin 18363 @ hotmail .com I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Walk or ride the tram to the train station and take the train, I believe the one day Unicamp tickets are 3€ per person.

My husband and I would like to see Herculaneum, but would also like to hike to the top of Vesuvius. My questions are..

1- Is this possible in a day? We are in port 7am-7pm

2-If so, which one to do first?

3-Transport options from Herculaneum to Vesuvius?

I have scanned many of the other posts and haven't seen this combo mentioned, maybe there's a reason for that:)

Also, I would like to request Cruisemom42's notes on Herculaneum as we will visit that no matter what.

Thanks!

Alison

micknmags@yahoo.com

I visited Pompeii before and thought it was awesome. When I go back to Naples next year on a cruise I will be with a relative with walking issues so I think Herculaneum would be better. When you can - no hurry - could you email your notes to me connieinnewjersey@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the wonderful info you relay!

I believe I have fulfilled all the most recent requests.

Also, I'll be traveling on and off for the next month, so I may not be able to get to new requests in a timely way.

As always we appreciate your help CruiseMom! Hope you have a good trip!

Hi cruisemom42, we are going to visit Naples. Will you please send me your notes for both Pompeii and Herculaneum, please send a copy of the notes to cdacven at gmail dot com.

Thanks

ccv

I also had wanted to visit the Archeological Museum, and it's closed the day we are in port, so be sure to check that too!

After visiting Herculaneum and loving it, we took a cab to the Archeological Museum. It should have been open, but that day it was closed due to a one-day strike by museum personnel. Very sorry to have missed that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cruisemom, you have been so generous in sharing your notes on Herculaneum so I hope you don't mind me asking for a copy for myself. I have already been to Pompeii but now want to visit Herculaneum independently on my August cruise. My email address is bevscott8 at tpg dot com dot au

Many thanks

Bev

I have been to Pompeii twice and last year went to Herculaneum for the specific purpose of trying to decide where to go this summer when my daughters join us for a cruise stopping in Naples. Top of my list is getting to the Archeological Museum in Naples which I have missed on all previous trips.

I had marked all the best stops on the audio guide (quite good) for Herculaneum so we could get through the site with the girls more quickly. It is the better preserved of the two and it is easier to visualize people living there in a community. There is even a wine bar with the sizes of the jugs posted outside the door! I don't think the places that are listed above as closed would be troublesome- I just looked at my book and I think they were closed last year too.

However, in the end I think we are going to Pompeii for two reasons. One, it is Pompeii and the views of Vesuvius rising in the background along the more spacious grounds cannot be duplicated in Herculaneum. And there is a theatre there if we have time to walk that far. Second, we are going in the summer and it is a long walk from the station to the ruins in Herculaneum- okay on the way down, a bit much on the way back. That said, it will be hot in Pompeii, too and the grounds are so large I will have to try to plot us a course in advance so that we don't spend so much time that I miss the museum. Again.

My husband and I would like to see Herculaneum, but would also like to hike to the top of Vesuvius. My questions are..

1- Is this possible in a day? We are in port 7am-7pm

2-If so, which one to do first?

3-Transport options from Herculaneum to Vesuvius?

I have scanned many of the other posts and haven't seen this combo mentioned, maybe there's a reason for that:)

Also, I would like to request Cruisemom42's notes on Herculaneum as we will visit that no matter what.

Thanks!

Alison

micknmags@yahoo.com

This is exactly what I have planned for June so hopefully it will work out. Have you been and done it yet? - happy to share our experience when we get back, would love to hear how it goes/went for you.

Sorry to be a me too, but if you can and when you can, would love to have your info on Herculaneum. It would be most appreciated.

my e-mail is re1law@hotmail.com

worldtravellerrus

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

just wanted to thank you again as I was reading through your amazing notes last night, two more months and we will be there! I am debating if I will bring the print out or transfer them to my ipad or iphone and go from there. Such a great detailed explaination on everything thanks again!

Hi Cruisemom

I hope you enjoyed your travels. Would you be kind enough to send me a copy of your notes for Herculaneum. Thank you in advance.

E-mail is tracy-regan @ sky dot com

Kind regards.

Tracy