White globes on Zuiderdam

NoobCruise

Watching the Zuiderdam sail away today, I noticed several large white globes on the top of the ship and wondered what they were :confused: Since no one in the thread answered, I asked my husband what they were. He served for several years in the Coast Guard. Thought you might like to know they are part of the Doppler Weather Radar systems.

Your husband is a smart man, not only for knowing the answer but also for serving his country in the USCG. I too served in the USCG and will be returning to Alaska for the first time since 1969 while I served on the USCGC Storis.

Your husband is a smart man, not only for knowing the answer but also for serving his country in the USCG. I too served in the USCG and will be returning to Alaska for the first time since 1969 while I served on the USCGC Storis.

This will be his first time back to Alaska since 1991. He served on the USCGC Morgenthau and was one of the skeleton crew that decomissioned it in 1989. The crew were then transferred to the USCGC Munro where he served for several years before finally being transferred to a small boat station in Oregon. He did many tours through Alaska, but this will be my first time :)

Looks like we have a bunch of "Coasties" on here. I did 4 years in the USCG at the trainning station on Governers Island NY. Got out in '74.

Did have 3 TAD sea days on the USCGC Hamilton. Does that count?

Looks like we have a bunch of "Coasties" on here. I did 4 years in the USCG at the trainning station on Governers Island NY. Got out in '74.

Thank you all for your service. Coasties sometimes don't get the recognition. We in Oregon surely depend on you when salmon fishing off the coast. It's very much appreciated.

Thank you all for your service. Coasties sometimes don't get the recognition. We in Oregon surely depend on you when salmon fishing off the coast. It's very much appreciated.

My husband did 2 years at Yaquina Bay and our daughter was born in Newport :) loved it there!

I just noticed your user name lol my husband, dad, and BIL are HAMs. My husband still volunteers for MARS.

My husband did 2 years at Yaquina Bay and our daughter was born in Newport :) loved it there!

Outstanding! I have fished out of Newport numerous times. In college I would run over during the summer and work on a roomates charter salmon fishing boat out of the Trade Winds Charters. It's a real nice town. What years were you over here?

All the ship communications are in those white globes. Pretty neat huh..

You should see it when they project party lights on it when we have our dances on the upper decks. :D

2967944400102790654S500x500Q85.jpg

2674238550102790654S500x500Q85.jpg

(This was on the Caribbean Princess)

outstanding! I have fished out of newport numerous times. In college i would run over during the summer and work on a roomates charter salmon fishing boat out of the trade winds charters. It's a real nice town. What years were you over here?

1991-92

Archived