Please help..Question about SC guarantee

thecook

Hi..I need your expert help. I have carefully chosen my room on the two cruises I have taken thus far. I am considering booking an SC guarantee on the Zuiderdam. My question is..are there any undesirable deluxe rooms? I do see that some of the SA rooms are under the Lido pool and wonder about the noise. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

No, there really aren't any undesirable suites. Some (like DW) don't like the aft suites because there is a little less privacy- many more people are looking down on your balcony from above, compared to the suites on the port and starboard side. All of the SCs are on the stern, lower decks. The higher SBs do go to Deck 8 right under the most aft area of the sunning area.

If i recall correctly a couple of the Sc's on this ship were hc cabins (which for many is not a big deal and small risk of getting one anyways). that is the only possible negative I can think of. SC guarantee on this ship leads to all kinds of possiblities - and none of them are bad IMO:)

Hi..I need your expert help. I have carefully chosen my room on the two cruises I have taken thus far. I am considering booking an SC guarantee on the Zuiderdam. My question is..are there any undesirable deluxe rooms? No I do see that some of the SA rooms are under the Lido pool and wonder about the noise. No problem, you have another deck of cabins above you. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like you have pick a great cabin, my only advice would be have a great cruise....:D

Hi..I need your expert help. I have carefully chosen my room on the two cruises I have taken thus far. I am considering booking an SC guarantee on the Zuiderdam. My question is..are there any undesirable deluxe rooms? I do see that some of the SA rooms are under the Lido pool and wonder about the noise. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I did not know/comprehend this until just recently when another CC member, who trusted my advice went with an SC guarantee...:o

Anyway she and her husband had decided on an SC gurantee and asked me my thoughts. I told them, they could not go wrong with that.........WRONG!!!!!!!!!! Well, let me restate, that it was wrong for them!!!

They got an SC, which is what they said was the minimum they could live happily in.....The Problem....They ended up with an Handicapped SC on deck 6.........They were not happy when they received their stateroom assignment, and I understand that........

My warning to you and anyone else thinking of an SC Guarantee on the Vista class ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam, there is a possibility that you might get a HC SC on Deck 6 instead of a regular SC, SB or SA.

All I am saying is be prepared.........

Joanie

Well, let me restate, that it was wrong for them!!!They got an SC, which is what they said was the minimum they could live happily in.....The Problem....They ended up with an Handicapped SC on deck 6.........They were not happy when they received their stateroom assignment, and I understand that........

My warning to you and anyone else thinking of an SC Guarantee on the Vista class ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam, there is a possibility that you might get a HC SC on Deck 6 instead of a regular SC, SB or SA.

Why would this be a bad thing?

I love SC's! Everytime we can afford it, we do it!

Why would this be a bad thing?

I love SC's! Everytime we can afford it, we do it!

Did you read all of what I said? Such as "that it was wrong for them" and "They were not happy when they received their stateroom assignment"

Joanie

Did you read all of what I said? Such as "that it was wrong for them" and "They were not happy when they received their stateroom assignment"

Joanie

oh yes, I did read that part, and my question was, why would this be a bad thing. Since the OP and I have never been in a SC HC, I am wondering why it would be BAD, as you were warning us it could be. Perhaps you can share why your friends felt it was bad for them.

oh yes, I did read that part, and my question was, why would this be a bad thing. Since the OP and I have never been in a SC HC, I am wondering why it would be BAD, as you were warning us it could be. Perhaps you can share why your friends felt it was bad for them.

there is a BIG difference in the layout of an HC cabin and a regular cabin - including the bathroom (usually a shower only) - some space/furniture is lost to make the room more wheelchair friendly, etc.

I wouldn't care to be in one - but that's just me;) and why I said it was the only negative with the guarantee:)

Besides, I would always be wondering if there wasn't someone who needed the hc and wasn't able to get it - but that's just me:)

They are still nice rooms - but no comparison to a regular deluxe veranda IMO:)

there is a BIG difference in the layout of an HC cabin and a regular cabin - including the bathroom (usually a shower only) - some space/furniture is lost to make the room more wheelchair friendly, etc.

I wouldn't care to be in one - but that's just me;) and why I said it was the only negative with the guarantee:))

I appreciate your feedback, this does make sense. Would it keep you from an SC guarantee?

Besides, I would always be wondering if there wasn't someone who needed the hc and wasn't able to get it - but that's just me:)

I can't imagine this could really happen, I guess I prefer to think of HAL in a kinder light :) Just call me a cheerleader ;)

Suggest you go and check out the different layouts between a regular SC and a Handicapped SC. There are differences and some are major enough for someone who is NOT HC that it would make a huge difference in their enjoyment of "Receiving" an SC that is HC.

Go check them out on HAL's site.

As kazu says, she'd not be happy and believe me, neither would I and I am HC!! I want double sinks, I want sofa and chair(s) I want what a regular SC has also do NOT want to be between an SC aft wrap and a VA aft. If I wanted a VA at the aft, I'd book one. When I book an SC, I want an Aft Wrap fully equipped:)

Joanie

I appreciate your feedback, this does make sense. Would it keep you from an SC guarantee?

I can't imagine this could really happen, I guess I prefer to think of HAL in a kinder light :) Just call me a cheerleader ;)

NO, it wouldn't keep me from doing a guarantee. If I was going to do a guarantee I would accept this could happen and hope that I got one of the other many rooms (and possible upgrades) to choose from.

But - in all honesty, we normally don't do guarantees - that's just the way we are (plus we are sailing smaller ships right now so there are not SC, SB or SA's).

With this situation in front of me, yes, I'd still do the guarantee. I love HAL but I don't think that they are that good and yes, they could give away and HC cabin to someone who doesn't need it and then someone who does could book and not find one available. JMO though:) Ideally, if you were assigned one and there was someone who needed it, you would be offered another suite:D Can't say that happens though;)

I have decided to go for the SC guarantee...my PCC offered me the SC/HC on deck 6 today as a room choice, but I am going to roll the dice and see what I get. I am thrilled to be able to upgrade from my SY to the SC for what I feel is a good price. If I get a HC room so be it..I'll be happy with whatever I end up with:D:D. Thanks for all the feedback...it's been very helpful.

I have decided to go for the SC guarantee...my PCC offered me the SC/HC on deck 6 today as a room choice, but I am going to roll the dice and see what I get. I am thrilled to be able to upgrade from my SY to the SC for what I feel is a good price. If I get a HC room so be it..I'll be happy with whatever I end up with:D:D. Thanks for all the feedback...it's been very helpful.

Congrats:D Love the attitude and enjoy the suite life:) Don't forget the coffee and muchies in the neptune lounge along with all the other little perks:)

I have an SC guarantee booked for my upcoming 4-day Coastal on the Zuiderdam. I booked this cruise the week it first became available. If HAL choose to put me in a handicapped accessible cabin, that's not my problem, and I refuse to let anyone make me feel bad about it. If someone needs a handicapped suite, then it's up to HAL to move me.

Roz

I have an SC guarantee booked for my upcoming 4-day Coastal on the Zuiderdam. I booked this cruise the week it first became available. If HAL choose to put me in a handicapped accessible cabin, that's not my problem, and I refuse to let anyone make me feel bad about it. If someone needs a handicapped suite, then it's up to HAL to move me.

Roz

Roz and theCook, I am so glad to hear that you will be happy with the SC HC:)

I felt that it is best to get the info out about it as I did not even think about the possibilty of any SC HC's on the Vistas when I encouraged the othe rCC member to go for an SC guarantee.

As I said, when they received their SC HC, they were not happy, and I think they kind of blame me as well as the PCC who did not tell them of the possibility either....

Guilty feelings makes you wish to warn others of the possibility of receiving one of them before hand:)

Joanie

When I book a guarantee, anything is possible, including the sardine can I was put into for a 10-day cruise on the Noordam. :eek: Lesson learned - no inside guarantees on Vista class.

Roz

Joanie, I agree it is best to have all the information available when making a decision..especially one involving money..and that is the great thing about this board and regulars like you that provide information for those of us that are newer to cruising! I'll let you know the outcome of my little gamble. My cruise is June 30..so I have some time to anticipate the outcome. Thanks again for the help and info.

That's good information. We have an assigned cabin, but the thought of being assigned a handicapped SC never crossed my mind when we were booking. It would definitely make me think twice about taking a guarantee...if I'm booking a suite to have an aft-wrap balcony, then I want to make sure that's what I get!

If I was paying full price for my suite I agree..I would want to choose my room and did with my SY..but I took advantage of the current offer from HAL and saved hundreds..so I am not going to be picky..I've been smiling all day about my upgrade:D and don't care where it is!

Archived