Food/Drink in Charlottetown

Winters in NZ

The May, Canadian Edition of the Readers Digest, in a short article entitled Island Time, by Dominiqe Ritter offers the following suggestions :

Future Seafoods : Shucking oysters and a fishing outing where you catch and slurp fresh bivalves right on the boat. www.futurefoods.com

Prince Edward Distillery : Producer of vodka, rum, and whisky.

www.princeedwarddistillery.com

Restaurants : Gahan House, www.gahan.ca

Lot 30 Restaurant, www.lot30restaurant.ca

Olde Dublin Pub, www.oldedublinpub.com

Ice Cream : Cows Creamery, www.cowscreamery.ca

There's a Cow's Creamery very close to where the ship docks. On a bright sunny day, lots of folks seen walking around with their ice cream cone. :)

We really like Charlotteltown. One of our favorite ports.

There's a Cow's Creamery very close to where the ship docks. On a bright sunny day, lots of folks seen walking around with their ice cream cone. :)

We really like Charlotteltown. One of our favorite ports.

Plan to stop there myself.Maybe find some nice gifts to bring home as well.Hate to buy things that are made in China so anything made in Canada is up our alley .

Plan to stop there myself.Maybe find some nice gifts to bring home as well.Hate to buy things that are made in China so anything made in Canada is up our alley .

Near the Cows Ice Cream (yummy!) is a big t-shirt/souvenir store. Don't go there, go around the corner and find the PEI "dirt shirt" store. They dye shirts and tote bags with the red PEI mud. Each item comes with a little plastic bag of PEI dirt. Very cool, and VERY local! (The big souvenir store has shirts that look like the "dirt shirts," but they're just dyed with an ordinary dye)

One of the most appreciated and welcomed gifts I have brought home from that cruise is hand knit woolen throws. I bought one in a lovely shop in the small 'mall' near where the ship docks and the others I bought in a really nice hand knit store in downtown Charlottetown..... a short, very pleasant walk.

They are so nicely made and good quality and are such they will last for many years and provide much warmth and comfort for my friends to whom I gave them. :) They were a tad on the pricey side but well worth it.

Remember we saw you at lunch on the upper level on the outdoor deck of the restaurant in the little 'mall.' We both ordered mussels and they were GREAT. We've had the bucket of mussels any number of times since. :) Wonderful.

The May, Canadian Edition of the Readers Digest, in a short article entitled Island Time, by Dominiqe Ritter offers the following suggestions :

Future Seafoods : Shucking oysters and a fishing outing where you catch and slurp fresh bivalves right on the boat. www.futurefoods.com

Prince Edward Distillery : Producer of vodka, rum, and whisky.

www.princeedwarddistillery.com

Restaurants : Gahan House, www.gahan.ca

Lot 30 Restaurant, www.lot30restaurant.ca

Olde Dublin Pub, www.oldedublinpub.com

Ice Cream : Cows Creamery, www.cowscreamery.ca

Thanks for the information, hopefully it will be useful if I get to Charlottetown which I hope to do someday.

Near the Cows Ice Cream (yummy!) is a big t-shirt/souvenir store. Don't go there, go around the corner and find the PEI "dirt shirt" store. They dye shirts and tote bags with the red PEI mud. Each item comes with a little plastic bag of PEI dirt. Very cool, and VERY local! (The big souvenir store has shirts that look like the "dirt shirts," but they're just dyed with an ordinary dye)

That sounds pretty cool.Might even have to get one for myself.

Remember we saw you at lunch on the upper level on the outdoor deck of the restaurant in the little 'mall.' We both ordered mussels and they were GREAT. We've had the bucket of mussels any number of times since. :) Wonderful.

Right -- I remember.

They have great mussles there and clam chowder.

Had it been dinner time -- lobster would have been ordered.

We're used to Boston Clam Chowder so the PEI isn't quite as much to our taste. It's good but we like 'ours' better. :)

DH always has lobster in Halifax, usually in Charlottetown and almost always in Bar Harbor. :)

LOL

I'm wearing a PEI "Dirt Dog dirt shirt" as I post this.

We're used to Boston Clam Chowder so the PEI isn't quite as much to our taste. It's good but we like 'ours' better. :)

DH always has lobster in Halifax, usually in Charlottetown and almost always in Bar Harbor. :)

Boston clam chowda is the real deal. Everything else should be called "soup". I love Boston. We are planning a non-cruise trip there for 2013. I have to go to Jacob Wirth's and get the sauerbraten. The last time I was there was 1960, and they still had sawdust on the floors. As a teen, I would not eat the sauerbraten. This will be my chance to atone for past sins. ;)

We think Boston's clam chowder is like no other.

The closest we have had to it elsewhere was in Pinnacles when they used to serve Northwestt Chowder. It was very thick, loaded with clams and like what we are used to.

I think I have Pinnacle's recipe but it is so full of fat and calories, I have not (yet) :) made it.

Chowder is delicious.

Have not had the pleasure of cruising to PEI but we drove a few years ago.

A pilgrimage to see the place where my Grandmother was born near Stanley Bridge just a short way from the Anne of Green Gables home. My Grandmother's home is still there from the 1800's and still in the family.

Can still remember the feast they put on for us with buckets of mussels melted butter etc.

And I have my PEI dirt shirt.

Do you recall where you have lobster in Halifax and in Bar Harbor? If rental cars were available in Bar Harbor, we would go to the pound out of town, but with no rental cars, we will look to enjoy lobster nearer the ship.

Do you recall where you have lobster in Halifax and in Bar Harbor? If rental cars were available in Bar Harbor, we would go to the pound out of town, but with no rental cars, we will look to enjoy lobster nearer the ship.

I have some highly recommended places in Bar Harbor.I will get the names and directions to you on our Roll Call

A little known treat in C-town is the Culinary Institute of Canada, located within walking distance or a short cab ride from the waterfront. They serve lunch much of the year and it is gourmet food at a reasonable price. Their web site is http://www.hollandcollege.com/culinary_institute_of_canada/lucy_md on PEIaud_dining_room.php?utm_source=redirect&utm_medium=web&utm_content=redirect&utm_campaign=lmdrlink

Speaking of Cows Ice Cream, which started on PEI but is now in a number of Canadian locations and, I believe, in Boston, they have a great clothing store in most locations with some of the funniest shirts I've seen.

I "think" it's a play on words. Isn't that how President Kennedy would have pronounced chowder? ;)

:D :D Really? ;)

I'm from Boston and when I say chowder, I say chowder. My DH does as well.

I think it was mocking a Boston accent but I could be wrong.

Oh well, :o

Archived