Food trays

Don't really understand why they are doing away with the trays, one less thing to wash I guess, but can't imagine it was that big of a deal.:rolleyes:

I think it has more to do with less to wash than it does with food waste.

I think it would actually make a HUGE difference in the number of washes they have to load and process. It takes time to put things into the racks that go into the giant washers, and it takes energy to run them. (One of my least favorite kitchen jobs ever...)

Although many people will put multiple plates on a tray (for kids or because they want multiple plates), MOST people seem to have a tray with a plate on it. They then put a cup on it. So many people have 3 things to wash (I'm discounting silverware, because I don't know how to count it), without the tray, it is now 2. You've reduced the wash load by 1/3.

Plus, Carnival now does not have to monitor the condition of the trays, and replace them as they become worn. It is one fewer thing to spend money on.

Food waste is part of it though- many colleges have gotten rid of trays to discourage students from taking more than they can eat. You can always go get more. College students don't need to carry trays for kids though.

After just returning from a cruise and seeing what I saw, I can understand why they want to remove the trays. People go hog wild in the buffet area like they haven't seen food in their lives. People tend to pile up their plates and some often have so many dishes on the tray that they can hardly carry. So many don't eat what they put on their plates and leave it as wastage which is really sad and unfortunate. The crew will tell you how much food gets trashed as waste daily.

It's better to have your meals in the MDR where the portions are reasonable, and it's nice and slow where you can enjoy the meals and even ask for more if you are still hungry.

Daddy, you could get a tray at a dollar store and it would take up virtually no room in your luggage. And just in case they don't have trays on your cruise, you'd have one (or two!) If I had kids, I could see where a tray would be very convenient!

Exactly. and at the end of the cruise you can just leave them behind.

I am a klutz so, I think I will take a tray with me! Then have it decorated as hubby and I will be going for our 15th Anniversary!!

Is there anyway to have the cabin decorated before we get there to surprise him? or something??

Thanks

No trays on the Legend in Dec 2011. My DH has only one hand, so no tray was very difficult for us. I would usually carry his plate on my tray along with coffe & juice. I wonder if you ask for a tray, will they give you one? Or do they even have any trays to give you? This would be nice for those with small children & people like my DH or for people with mobility issues. On our Lgend cruise, we managed by making 2 trips, or DH carrying all he needed on that big plate.

I think it has more to do with less to wash than it does with food waste.

I think it would actually make a HUGE difference in the number of washes they have to load and process. It takes time to put things into the racks that go into the giant washers, and it takes energy to run them. (One of my least favorite kitchen jobs ever...)

Although many people will put multiple plates on a tray (for kids or because they want multiple plates), MOST people seem to have a tray with a plate on it. They then put a cup on it. So many people have 3 things to wash (I'm discounting silverware, because I don't know how to count it), without the tray, it is now 2. You've reduced the wash load by 1/3.

Plus, Carnival now does not have to monitor the condition of the trays, and replace them as they become worn. It is one fewer thing to spend money on.

Food waste is part of it though- many colleges have gotten rid of trays to discourage students from taking more than they can eat. You can always go get more. College students don't need to carry trays for kids though.

Most people you see at the buffet only have one plate and one cup on their tray?:confused: I guess I've just been on the gluttons cruises!;):D

No trays on the Legend in Dec 2011. My DH has only one hand, so no tray was very difficult for us. I would usually carry his plate on my tray along with coffe & juice. I wonder if you ask for a tray, will they give you one? Or do they even have any trays to give you? This would be nice for those with small children & people like my DH or for people with mobility issues. On our Lgend cruise, we managed by making 2 trips, or DH carrying all he needed on that big plate.

You make an excellent case for the trays.

There still trays around....you see them with coffee cups piled on top of them near the coffee stations.....room service still gets delivered on them...etc.

I was on RCCL Mariner in MArch and I have a small child. They do not have trays and I managed just fine. You can't stress over everything. I just carried the 2 plates and he carried the silver ware rolls. Now the only issue I would have had is Carnival you get your own drinks. Royal they will bring them to you if you ask.

Yes, I believe they should have them for those of us that really need them. (people like my dh, people w small children & people with mobility issues). It is sad to me when corporations only consider the normal folks when making change decisions, they don't consider the special circumstance type folks. I will ask for a tray on our next cruise- DH doesn't like to ask for special help.

Does Carnival no longer have the trays to carry your plate and drink on in the buffet area? We are going on the Elation!

Seems trays would be a great way to pass Noro around, unless they were completely sanitized between each use, and that's creating a whole lot more work and cost. Better to just do away with them and let people carry their stuff. I personally prefer to NOT use trays for this reason. In any restaurant, they're usually not kept very clean.

Seems trays would be a great way to pass Noro around, unless they were completely sanitized between each use, and that's creating a whole lot more work and cost. Better to just do away with them and let people carry their stuff. I personally prefer to NOT use trays for this reason. In any restaurant, they're usually not kept very clean.

Coming from a restaurant background-- health laws state that those trays should be sanitized after ea use. I know some fast food places cheat on this, but they are supposed to sanitize. I am not sure what the laws are for a cruise ship.

I'd be much more concerned about the various tongs and serving spoons;)

Need a tray.

Order room service. Eat the food. Hide the tray. Room steward takes dishes away.

Now you have a tray for the rest of the week to go get first breakfast for your balcony, and it will be hot!

Shower relax and then go for elevensies.

Exactly what we did our last cruise on the Freedom.

I was on RCCL Mariner in MArch and I have a small child. They do not have trays and I managed just fine. You can't stress over everything. I just carried the 2 plates and he carried the silver ware rolls. Now the only issue I would have had is Carnival you get your own drinks. Royal they will bring them to you if you ask.

I don't think anyone is hardly stressing over whether or not trays are available. Like I said, if they aren't, we'll just have to improvise.

I'm more concerned about catching Noro from the table and chairs we sit at/in to eat our food. I just make sure to wipe the tables and chairs down with a Clorox wipe (when feasible). There are so many avenues where Noro can be contracted aboard the ship. We just have to practice good hygiene by constantly washing our hands and hope for the best!

The buffet is a great way to pass along germs. Everyone uses the same serving utensils.

If Carnival had someone to serve the food or put it on your plate for you it would do two things. One cut down on the transfer of germs and two make the piles of food on plates smaller.

Archived