Alcohol on the street?

deedle7544

Does anyone know if you can get a drink at Sloppy Joes and then walk around with and even take it back on the ship?

Key West does have an open container law, so it is illegal to walk out of the bar with a drink. However, it is a loosely enforced law around Duval St as long as it is in a plastic cup and you aren't doing anything to draw attention.

No, you will not be able to take it on to the ship, and if have to ride the trolley because you are on the Mole Pier, you cannot take it on the trolley.

Awesome, thank you for your responses, I've never been to Key West, loking forward to Sloppy Joe's :)

KW was busy yesterday...part of Duval was blocked off for an

event of some kind.

Hey, nothing says 'Key West' as good as a tee shirt from

Sloppy Joe's.....except a tee shirt from 'Hog's Breath Saloon'.

Fun port....we wish all the Caribbean ports were as much fun!

Enjoy.

:cool:

We were able to purchase margarita's from one of the street bars and enjoy it while we walked around, never got hassled once. As a matter of fact, that's what Jen and I have in our hands in our avi photo :)

Barry

We were able to purchase margarita's from one of the street bars and enjoy it while we walked around, never got hassled once. As a matter of fact, that's what Jen and I have in our hands in our avi photo :)

Barry

Like I said earlier, you probably won't be hassled as long as you aren't causing a scene.

The important thing to remember though is that Key West does have an open container law. So if by slight chance they are enforcing it that day, just don't be surprised. On the rare occasion it is enforced, it is usually just to say get rid of it, not bust you.

I'm about to go to Key West in a few weeks on the Ecstasy. I haven't done the bar thing so I'm looking forward to checking out the places to get a good drink. I will try to remember the alcohol outside the bar thing.

every time i am in in key west i go to sloppy joes for a margarita. they have a souv. bottle you can purchase with your favorite beverage in it. even if i have my children(now grandchildren) with me they get one also (non alcoholic of course) and we carry it back onboard , no problem. happy cruising, amelia

Both Fat Tuesdays and The Flying Monkey sell drinks in sports bottles... many of the bars have counters right out to the street.

While there many be an open container law on the books...walking down Duval St. with a drink is pretty much what everybody does.

Of course if you are acting like a *****, you might find yourself in trouble.

You should have a designated driver as well.

every time i am in in key west i go to sloppy joes for a margarita. they have a souv. bottle you can purchase with your favorite beverage in it. even if i have my children(now grandchildren) with me they get one also (non alcoholic of course) and we carry it back onboard , no problem. happy cruising, amelia

Cool - what a great souvenier, can you post a picture?

• 1 month later...

We went to Sloppy Joe's last week, Though we finished our drinks there (there was a guy playign 80's music, so we stayed) we wre told by al local that we could take drinks out on the streets in PLASTIC container. I usually leave and reboard the ship with water or other drinks in a sport bottle. they have never checked to see what is in it.

We went to Sloppy Joe's last week, Though we finished our drinks there (there was a guy playign 80's music, so we stayed) we wre told by al local that we could take drinks out on the streets in PLASTIC container. I usually leave and reboard the ship with water or other drinks in a sport bottle. they have never checked to see what is in it.

That's because it's socially accepted here and not a big deal. However, it is still illegal.

If that plastic cup holds a cool brew, it will be pretty danged warm by the time you ever get back to the ship.

Mine have always ended up pretty danged empty by the time I got back to the ship.

Archived