When Referring to HAL?

sail7seas

Well I am one of the evil ones - I call the Zuiderdam the Zuidey (or is it Zuidie?) I actually heard it from a crew member and it caught on with me.

Unlike the unfortunates of today, we had a great cruise on her and it is an affectionate term - but no more:eek: and YUP, I use HAL too - so does HAL actually - in the future I will spell it out Holland America Cruise Lines - I just thought we all knew who it was:rolleyes:

TGIF (thank God it's Friday):)

is it true holland America leans towards the older people and would not be as fun for a 16 year old?

I think this thread may be the answer your question :rolleyes:

Oh, I told myself I wasn't going to get in the middle of this, but here I am :)

My .02 is that certain cruise lines have one brand name, followed by "Cruise Line" or "Cruises" ... examples are Princess, Norwegian, Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, Costa, etc. So it's fine to shorten them to just the brand name of one word.

But cruise lines that have TWO-word brand names, such as Royal Caribbean or Holland America should, in my opinion, be called by their full names. No shortening to "Holland" or "Royal" ... any more than people would shorten two-word US states to simply "New" or "York" ... lol.

I will now step off my soapbox.

I hate when people call it the Zuidy! :D

I don't seem to notice many other DAM ship names being abbreviated: The Veeny/Veenie, Rottie or Eury. Why for the Zuiderdam? ;)

On our 2 cruises on Eurodam, Captain Darrin Bowland always referred to the ship as "The Mighty E". So that's what we call her when talking among ourselves.

Who really cares.

Our lives are not terribly busy, but they are busy enough that we would never be bothered wasting time on something so trivial.

You're so right..now let us get back to the other Holland threads LOL:D:D

Then there is Cunard's Icky Vicky!

That should be SICKY VICKY and the SCARY MARY!!!!!

Some old favourites...

NO DICK PRINCE fopr NORDIC PRINCE

SLUM VIKING for SUN VIKING

ROYAL VIKING SLUM.... which later became PRISONDAM!!!!

or for HAL ships... and certainly not intended to offend of reflect badly on the ship.....

SATANDAM

VEENBUCKET

AMSTERDUMP

Even Saga's new SAGA SAPPHIRE is alread being called SORRY SAPPHIRE!

Holland America sounds too formal so many just shorten it to Holland, like they do to Norwegian, Princess, Disney,Celebrity, Royal etc. If someone said they were cruising on/with Holland, I'm pretty sure we all know they mean the cruise line, not the place. Only in later years was it known as HAL. Even though I do call it HAL, I think Holland sounds better...to each his own :)

It has been called HAL for many many year but the letters are spelt out as in H A L...... never as a name like 'Hal'.

The best name is quite simply 'Holland America'... it sounds right.

And ships are 'she' never 'it'!!!!

Worse is what is written in the press.....

...... the NIEUW AMSTERDAM cruise ship

instead of....

...... the cruise ship NIEUW AMSTERDAM

Stephen

I think that I feel a little bad that some of you get irritated so easily lol I have too many other things going on in my mind to worry about such minor things ;)

Please don't feel bad for us.

We're fine; really we are. :)

- in the future I will spell it out Holland America Cruise Lines - I just thought we all knew who it was:rolleyes:

TGIF (thank God it's Friday):)

But is isn't Holland America Cruise Lines.....

It is Holland America Line though there was a time back in the 70s when the company was known as Holland America Cruises.

You are right... TGIF!!!!! Two weeks to WESTERDAM!

is it true holland America leans towards the older people and would not be as fun for a 16 year old?

Is there an age limit to when people stop having fun? :confused:

Is one too old at some point to have fun?

Oh, I told myself I wasn't going to get in the middle of this, but here I am :)

My .02 is that certain cruise lines have one brand name, followed by "Cruise Line" or "Cruises" ... examples are Princess, Norwegian, Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, Costa, etc. So it's fine to shorten them to just the brand name of one word.

But cruise lines that have TWO-word brand names, such as Royal Caribbean or Holland America should, in my opinion, be called by their full names. No shortening to "Holland" or "Royal" ... any more than people would shorten two-word US states to simply "New" or "York" ... lol.

I will now step off my soapbox.

Who really cares.

Our lives are not terribly busy, but they are busy enough that we would never be bothered wasting time on something so trivial.

But we're happy you are here. :)

I agree, it drives me crazy when people refer to it as "Holland". It seems disrespectful of the wonderful history of the line. It is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I can let it go for posters who are unfamiliar with the line, but for all the others: STOP!

On our 2 cruises on Eurodam, Captain Darrin Bowland always referred to the ship as "The Mighty E". So that's what we call her when talking among ourselves.

I'm sorry, but Darrin 'Hurricane" Bowland is just plain wrong. The "Mighty E" will ever and always refer ONLY to USS Enterprise; any other reference is sacreligous.:D

I call it "HAL," as in "open the pod bay doors, HAL." "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave"

It's funnier if your name is ...

Dave

That should be SICKY VICKY and the SCARY MARY!!!!!

Some old favourites...

NO DICK PRINCE fopr NORDIC PRINCE

SLUM VIKING for SUN VIKING

ROYAL VIKING SLUM.... which later became PRISONDAM!!!!

or for HAL ships... and certainly not intended to offend of reflect badly on the ship.....

SATANDAM

VEENBUCKET

AMSTERDUMP

Even Saga's new SAGA SAPPHIRE is alread being called SORRY SAPPHIRE!

LOL........ I hadn't heard those 'nicknames'.

Oosterdam has been called Testerdam by some. :)

I've never given this much thought, but when I am with my friends who sail on Princess, and I am talking about HAL, I say, "Holland America".

My pet peeve isn't about cruise line names. I get annoyed when people call it a BOAT. It is a SHIP, and I don't give a DAM what cruise line I am on, just as long as I am on a cruise.:D

How do you pronounce Zuiderdam?

I may call it something else if the plumbing problem doesn't get fixed by the time I board next week!

Who really cares.

Yeah, it's more important to discuss whether to be port or starboard in the Eastern Caribbean. :D

I call it "HAL," as in "open the pod bay doors, HAL." "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave"

And, of course, Arthur C. Clarke came up with the name "HAL" by moving each letter in the acronym IBM up one notch in the alphabetical order. And, now that it's in my head, I know that connection is going to dog me for a long long time.

"Permission to come aboard, HAL."

"I'm sorry, Bob, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Archived