Dinner on the Explorer

We just got back from our first cruise (on Princess) and we are looking to book our next one by the end of the week. We're looking at the Explorer for next February 10th but are concerned about the options for dinner.

The one thing we both agreed we hated on Princess was the long sit-down dinner in the MDR every night. We only did it because we were traveling with a group who were all expecting us to be there every night. Since we'll be alone on this trip, we had planned to do the buffet for dinners (except formal nights and on valentines day as we do like dressing up and having a formal meal on occasion.) Problem is, I don't see a buffet available for dinners. Table service is okay as long as they're not trying to give me the "fine dining" experience and making me sit there for 2 hours while I would rather be enjoying the other activities on the ship.

My question is, are there reasonable, quick eateries that we can go to for dinner without incurring an extra charge every night?

The Windjammer Cafe/Marketplace Buffet is available on all Royal Caribbean ships and you may dine there for dinner if you wish. Obviously being a buffet, you can make dinner as long or short as you like. Onboard Explorer of the Seas the Windjammer is located on Deck 11 to the rear of the ship. The Island Grill is a section of the Windjammer and is generally considered within the same buffet area. There is also a specialty restaurant onboard Explorer of the Seas called Portofino which serves fine Italian cuisine. I would recommend it.

There is deffinately a buffet option. The Windjammer.

If you want to do a combination of MDR, Windjammer and maybe Portfino (there is a fee for that) then perhaps you should look at booking My Time Dining. You prepay your gratuities and can use the MDR when you want to. You can make reservations for the MDR or just show up (with a short wait being possible.)

You also have quick meals from Cafe Promenade.

Really? On the website it says that the windjammer switches to table service for dinner. This is the cause for our confusion. Is there an extra charge for Portofino?

What table service in the Windjammer means: Tables may be given table clothes and there might be waiter service. If you really wish to get your own food and not be served, just let them know and they will let you go on your way. Royal Caribbean tries to make evening dining onboard a fine dining experience no matter where you choose to dine at. Because of dress restrictions, some may not want to eat in the Main Dining Room but would still like to sample the menu which is available in the Windjammer. Rest assured that you can have a quick meal for dinner in the Windjammer. Enjoy!

Thanks, we did the anytime dining on Princess and liked it so we would try to book that situation wherever possible. I wasn't aware that it was an option on RCI and had planned to just have a set dining time but that's good to know. Being able to go whenever we wanted to was great but still, just the sheer length of dinner was tedious to us.

What table service in the Windjammer means: Tables may be given table clothes and there might be waiter service. If you really wish to get your own food and not be served, just let them know and they will let you go on your way. Royal Caribbean tries to make evening dining onboard a fine dining experience no matter where you choose to dine at. Because of dress restrictions, some may not want to eat in the Main Dining Room but would still like to sample the menu which is available in the Windjammer. Rest assured that you can have a quick meal for dinner in the Windjammer. Enjoy!

Awesome! That seals the deal. I'm calling our TA first thing Monday.

Thanks, we did the anytime dining on Princess and liked it so we would try to book that situation wherever possible. I wasn't aware that it was an option on RCI and had planned to just have a set dining time but that's good to know. Being able to go whenever we wanted to was great but still, just the sheer length of dinner was tedious to us.

I did My Time Dining on my last cruise and was typically done eating within 1 hour. But your time in the dining room depends on many factors. Mainly how busy your waiter is with other tables and the number of people seated at your dining table. We ate early at 6pm. The kitchen was ready and so was our waiter so we got seated right away and was enjoying appetizers and salads within 15 minutes. Explorer of the Seas is a great ship, you will enjoy it. I've been on her twice.

Guest maddycat
We just got back from our first cruise (on Princess) and we are looking to book our next one by the end of the week. We're looking at the Explorer for next February 10th but are concerned about the options for dinner.

The one thing we both agreed we hated on Princess was the long sit-down dinner in the MDR every night. We only did it because we were traveling with a group who were all expecting us to be there every night. Since we'll be alone on this trip, we had planned to do the buffet for dinners (except formal nights and on valentines day as we do like dressing up and having a formal meal on occasion.) Problem is, I don't see a buffet available for dinners. Table service is okay as long as they're not trying to give me the "fine dining" experience and making me sit there for 2 hours while I would rather be enjoying the other activities on the ship.

My question is, are there reasonable, quick eateries that we can go to for dinner without incurring an extra charge every night?

You can have dinner in the buffet. It's quiet. Waiters take orders for soft drinks, coffee, and tea and bring them to you. There is also bar service. There is a large variety of food to choose from. Many are the same choices that are on the MDR menu. There is a stir fry station, pasta station, and pizza station. You pick what you want from the many choices at each station and then your stir fry (or pasta or pizza is made to order with the ingredients that you choose). There is also an area with Asian and Indian food. There is a salad bar. There are many desserts (ice cream, cookies, cakes, fruit, cheeses).

I agree with the poster who said they were done in an hour. We were done in just over an hour with MTD at 615. With six people!

Meals were great and even with MTD we had the same waiters and they got to know our preferences.

Portofino does charge a $20 per person fee, but in my opinion it is worth it. Especially for a dinner for Valentines Day or birthday/anniversary. A sample menu can be found here.

Thanks, we probably will do that for Valentines day unless it's a formal night. We did both of the specialty restaurants on the Crown and really enjoyed one of them, the other, not so much. I'm not adverse to paying for the experience if it's actually worth it.

I did My Time Dining on my last cruise and was typically done eating within 1 hour. But your time in the dining room depends on many factors. Mainly how busy your waiter is with other tables and the number of people seated at your dining table. We ate early at 6pm. The kitchen was ready and so was our waiter so we got seated right away and was enjoying appetizers and salads within 15 minutes. Explorer of the Seas is a great ship, you will enjoy it. I've been on her twice.

An hour is fine with me but Princess seemed to always drag it out to over 2 hours. That's just way too long to sit for a meal for someone like me who eats to live as opposed to living to eat. Like I said, the only complaint we had was the length of dinner. Everything else we loved.

I've been doing my research and I think you're right that we'll love the Explorer. It seems to be a bit more suited for an early 30's couple without kids than the Crown Princess. Being new cruisers, we want to give the lines we're most interested in a chance before picking "our line" based on our experiences. NCL in 2014!

portofino does charge a $20 per person fee, but in my opinion it is worth it. Especially for a dinner for valentines day or birthday/anniversary. A sample menu can be found here.

The Windjammer at dinner is a very different ambience than during the day, but it is still a buffet, and you can eat as quickly or as slowly as you wish.

You can have dinner in the buffet. It's quiet. Waiters take orders for soft drinks, coffee, and tea and bring them to you. There is also bar service. There is a large variety of food to choose from. Many are the same choices that are on the MDR menu. There is a stir fry station, pasta station, and pizza station. You pick what you want from the many choices at each station and then your stir fry (or pasta or pizza is made to order with the ingredients that you choose). There is also an area with Asian and Indian food. There is a salad bar. There are many desserts (ice cream, cookies, cakes, fruit, cheeses).

This is great news. Exactly what we are looking for.

We adore indian food so that will be a welcome option. Is the paneer good? I'm obsessed with kadai paneer but would be willing to try it in other dishes.

I agree with the poster who said they were done in an hour. We were done in just over an hour with MTD at 615. With six people!

Meals were great and even with MTD we had the same waiters and they got to know our preferences.

OK, so am I to assume that Princess just drags out their meals to please their mostly aging audience? We had different waiters with Anytime Dining and it wasn't a problem, really. One night we dined with a couple who insisted on a particular waitress and I saw the difference in service.

The Windjammer at dinner is a very different ambience than during the day, but it is still a buffet, and you can eat as quickly or as slowly as you wish.

I'm already sold but you have me reaching for the phone well outside my TA's hours.

Thanks, we probably will do that for Valentines day unless it's a formal night. We did both of the specialty restaurants on the Crown and really enjoyed one of them, the other, not so much. I'm not adverse to paying for the experience if it's actually worth it.

An hour is fine with me but Princess seemed to always drag it out to over 2 hours. That's just way too long to sit for a meal for someone like me who eats to live as opposed to living to eat. Like I said, the only complaint we had was the length of dinner. Everything else we loved.

I've been doing my research and I think you're right that we'll love the Explorer. It seems to be a bit more suited for an early 30's couple without kids than the Crown Princess. Being new cruisers, we want to give the lines we're most interested in a chance before picking "our line" based on our experiences. NCL in 2014!

You will LOVE the convenience of driving up the (UGH!) New Jersey Turnpike to Exit 14A and being able to take whatever you want. The parking lot is right next to the cruise terminal, and unless you can find a spot only on the far side of the lot, or if you are physically compromised, or lazy, you can walk back to the terminal and not even wait for the shuttle bus to take you there.

What table service in the Windjammer means: Tables may be given table clothes and there might be waiter service. If you really wish to get your own food and not be served, just let them know and they will let you go on your way.

Umm, just to clarify/elaborate for OP:

Windjammer is an excellent option if you do not want to go to the Dining Room. However, it is always a buffet. You get your own food. I have never asked a server for, nor have I ever seen a server get anyone their food. The staff are there to get your drinks and whatever else you may need (extra cutlery, condiments, etc.) - but you always get your own food.

Have a great cruise. Explorer is magnificent. :)

You will LOVE the convenience of driving up the (UGH!) New Jersey Turnpike to Exit 14A and being able to take whatever you want. The parking lot is right next to the cruise terminal, and unless you can find a spot only on the far side of the lot, or if you are physically compromised, or lazy, you can walk back to the terminal and not even wait for the shuttle bus to take you there.

Oh, heck no! We were both in severe car accidents within the past few years so we take the train whenever possible. We plan to take Septa (1 mi from our house) to 30th street in Philly, Amtrak to Newark Airport and a cab from there to the pier. Will only cost a little more than gas, tolls and parking for a week and will make me a whole lot happier than sitting in a car for hours. I can't even begin to explain the level of horror driving in a car is for me. I already have one spinal injury due to that, I don't need another. I know, it makes me sound scared and ridiculous but my everyday win is that I have found ways around my phobia and I deal with car travel when I have to. Driving from Philly to NYC sounds completely scary to me... The speed limits between here and there are way to high for my comfort. If you've ever been in a really bad car accident, you might be able to relate. I have also have bad experiences with flights so I only fly when I absolutely have to (read: somebody died) I will probably become a connoisseur of all ships leaving from the NE coast within just a few years.

Book directly with Royal Caribbean now. 1-866-562-7625A

thanks but when I checked today, my TA was offering a slightly better deal, when you consider the OBC.

Umm, just to clarify/elaborate for OP:

Windjammer is an excellent option if you do not want to go to the Dining Room. However, it is always a buffet. You get your own food. I have never asked a server for, nor have I ever seen a server get anyone their food. The staff are there to get your drinks and whatever else you may need (extra cutlery, condiments, etc.) - but you always get your own food.

Have a great cruise. Explorer is magnificent. :)

Yes, yes, YES! this is exactly what we want.

Been on EOS twice, both 9 day cruises. Everything was great.

Your concerns have been addressed, as you can do the buffet every night.

But, you might also want to consider first seating in the MDR. They need to move it along because there is another seating coming up right after.

As you will also find, it is quite a simple and convenient drive from Philly to Bayonne.

You should have a good cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We just made reservations for Portofino, lets say I want 2 appitizers, and 2 entrees, am I alloud, or ONLY 1 of each and that's it! I don't want the waiter to slap me across the face w/ his white glove and call me a ziggy piggy!

You can use the Windjammer for both buffet and sit down dinner. I found that in our case we get a table for 2 and we're done in 1 to 1:15 hrs. It's not bad. If you go to Portofino, then you are talking on 2+ hours.

If you take Amtrak to the EWR airport station you will have to haul your stuff onto the monorail to the terminals and then get off and get a cab..

(there is NO vehicular access to the EWR airport Railroad station)

Just take it to NEWARK PENN station (NWK is the code) and get a cab there...cab will be $40-50 each way....steep but it will work....

We just made reservations for Portofino, lets say I want 2 appitizers, and 2 entrees, am I alloud, or ONLY 1 of each and that's it! I don't want the waiter to slap me across the face w/ his white glove and call me a ziggy piggy!

Without hesitation the server will slap you silly if you do this but will not call you any names.

It is $10 for an additional entree.

Archived