Vancouver Transfer to Airport

donaldsc

We are arriving on the Diamond Princess and departing from the airport at 11:30. I have determined that I can go by shuttle for $38 (2 adults + 1 child).

1) Am I better off price-wise going by taxi?

2) The shuttle people are recommending that we do a walkoff with our luggage. The boat docks at 7:30. Do I really have to do a luggage walkoff or will I be OK if I get myself in the first scheduled group off the boat?

DON

A cab is maybe an hour with tip probably a little more than $38.00 and might be the fastest way there. Although we have done a Princess transfer with no problem.

We have been held up at this airport before so my little mind would tell me to get there the fastest way I can if I had an 11:30 flight.and forget about price and that would probably be a cab.

Thanks for the info from us as well! We were debating between an 11:40 AM Monday flight and the 12:30 which gets us home more than an hour later, so I think we'll spring for the taxi and reserve the 11:40 AM. I've got to be back at work the next day so the earlier to bed the better. :D

If you can self-disembark handling all of your luggage and child then you should make the 1140 flight, if not then go for the later flight. With self-disembarkation you should be thru Canadian customs and on the curb at Canada Place by 0830 latest. You then have the option of a cab at a cost of about $35, a limo at $52 plus 12% tax and tip, or schlepping your luggage 3 blocks over to Waterfront Station and catching the Canada Line out to YVR for a cost of $3.75 pp ...less for children. Whatever you choose to do you are a full 35 mins from YVR and you need to be there a full 2 hrs before your flight to clear US customs and security.

if you can manage your own bags, definately think about taking the skytrain. The station is only two blocks away. Fare is $3.75 for adults and $1.75 for children 5-18. If it is a weekend, adult fare would only be $2.50, ride is very comfortable and will take you right to the airport.

very efficient and fast

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back on a RCCL Alaska cruise that started in Anchorage and we disembarked in Vancouver. I decided to skip the pricey transfer that was offered by the cruise line and take the Canada Line (subway). My wife and I always play it so safe and take the cruise line transfers, but we decided to walk on the wild side and take the Canada Line, and because we did, we saved at least $50 and had a very delightful 28 minute ride to the airport.

You leave from the port, walk one block to the first major street (can't remember the name of the street but the folks that work at the port are very helpful) turn left and go one block and there it is on your left.

You buy your $3.75 ticket (click on the red zone "Richmond") via an automated ticket machine. Go down the elevator to the "airport" train and like I said in 28 minutes you are at the airport.

Don't worry about your luggage, you will have plenty room.

Save your money and actually have a much more comfortable ride to the airport.

The Canada line is a great option, of course this depents on how much luggage you have and weather the child in question will not cause any problems on the ride out to the airport.

You must plan to be at the airport at least 2 hours to 2 and a half hours prior to departure of your flight.

For US departures here is the proceedure at the airport

1. Check in at airline counter, have your US customs form in hand and filled out.

2. Go through airport security who will check your paperwork, scan your luggage and put it on the conveyor

3. Go to US customs where they will take your customs paperwork and verify your passport.

4. Go to your departure gate.

If you are going to a Canadian city first:

1. Check in at airline counter.

2. Hand in bags.

3. Airport security.

4. Departure gate.

We just got back on a RCCL Alaska cruise that started in Anchorage and we disembarked in Vancouver. I decided to skip the pricey transfer that was offered by the cruise line and take the Canada Line (subway). My wife and I always play it so safe and take the cruise line transfers, but we decided to walk on the wild side and take the Canada Line, and because we did, we saved at least $50 and had a very delightful 28 minute ride to the airport.

You leave from the port, walk one block to the first major street (can't remember the name of the street but the folks that work at the port are very helpful) turn left and go one block and there it is on your left.

You buy your $3.75 ticket (click on the red zone "Richmond") via an automated ticket machine. Go down the elevator to the "airport" train and like I said in 28 minutes you are at the airport.

Don't worry about your luggage, you will have plenty room.

Save your money and actually have a much more comfortable ride to the airport.

I'm glad it all worked out for you. There are lots of nay-sayers in these forums that think they couldn't possibly do this and that it's too difficult.

I'm glad it all worked out for you. There are lots of nay-sayers in these forums that think they couldn't possibly do this and that it's too difficult.

How true. I've been using Skytrain for years from the Amtrak station. :) I rarely take a cab, and use buses, metros, subways etc every chance I get. My recent trip used these cheap options, every day- except for Eurostar at $120, which isn't a "cheap" transit. :)

Put me down as one of the nay sayers if you wish, but being trying to be objective about using SkyTrain or the Canada Line in Vancouver you need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. do I have reasonable mobility and can I walk the 3 blocks from Waterfront Station to Canada Place?
  2. can I handle all of my own luggage?
  3. do I want to be schlepping my own luggage up to 3 blocks from Waterfront Station to Canada Place?

If the answer is no to any of the above, then don't take it. As good as some will purport the system to be it is defiantly not a "one size fits all solution".

. As good as some will purport the system to be it is defiantly not a "one size fits all solution".

Nobody is saying it is. It's an excellent transit option for those of us, who pack light and have no problem with handing the luggage, or finding our way around. :)

Nobody is saying it is. It's an excellent transit option for those of us, who pack light and have no problem with handing the luggage, or finding our way around. :)

I am glad you are happy with it:), however as I have a DW who needs a wheelchair it does not work for us. Having that perspective I take the time to explain to people that SkyTrain and the Canada Line may not always be the best option. Seldom if ever does anyone one else seem to want to take the effort to explain this to visitors.... and yes there are people who do purport to sell the system as a "one size fits all" solution.

I sincerely don't want to come off sounding as "poor me" but given the circumstances we have to spend a lot of time researching accessible transportation and shorex options. Therefore the more objective and complete information we can glean from these forums in advance the easier things are.

Put me down as one of the nay sayers if you wish, but being trying to be objective about using SkyTrain or the Canada Line in Vancouver you need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. do I have reasonable mobility and can I walk the 3 blocks from Waterfront Station to Canada Place?
  2. can I handle all of my own luggage?
  3. do I want to be schlepping my own luggage up to 3 blocks from Waterfront Station to Canada Place?

If the answer is no to any of the above, then don't take it. As good as some will purport the system to be it is defiantly not a "one size fits all solution".

I agree for the VAST majority of all cruisers they do not want to fool with the hassle of hauling luggage 3 or 4 blocks to the train just to save a very few dollars!

I agree for the VAST majority of all cruisers they do not want to fool with the hassle of hauling luggage 3 or 4 blocks to the train just to save a very few dollars!

Yes, I am part of that VAST majority. When you think of the actual savings in relation to the convenience of a taxi or shared limo, it's pretty small potatoes based on the cost of your whole trip.

Archived