£1,000 in gratuities??

We're cruising on IOS next month, 14 nights - 2 adults & 4 children (14,13,11&5). If we follow the guidelines our gratuities are £1,000!!!

This is more than the cost of one persons holiday!

We always pay gratuities at the end of the cruise but is it just me or do you think this is extortionate on top of all the other costs?

We're cruising on IOS next month, 14 nights - 2 adults & 4 children (14,13,11&5). If we follow the guidelines our gratuities are £1,000!!!

We always pay gratuities at the end of the cruise but is it just me or do you think this is extortionate on top of all the other costs?

:eek:

I did not think children under a certain age were counted in the Gratuities ! :confused:

:eek:

I did not think children under a certain age were counted in the Gratuities ! :confused:

Yes, they do count the kids. Ours are 10 and 11 and we always have to pay it. I hate doing it, but then I also think, okay, if there was an adult in the waiters section, they would be paid. They also tend to really look out for our kids once on the ship, so it is fair. It is still a hard pill to swallow when it comes time to pay.

Thats six people for 14 days. The ages your children are at they are basically needing the same attention as adults re bedding, cleaning and food serving. It does add up, doesn't it!

They really need to be clearer about these costs when telling us the cost of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sympathize with you, as we have six kids and just like you that means the cost of anything and everything is multiplied into the stratosphere.

Tipping is just one of the costs of cruising. It can seem alien to us, but it is a long standing tradition that has now evolved into something of a hybrid between a compulsory pre-vacation charge, or a "pay as you go" tax, to be paid at the end of the vacation.

The receiving staff (room attendants and waiters at three seniority levels) all rely on these "gratuities" to make up the majority of their monthly income. In many cases it is quite a complex setup, in that tips are pooled and distributed between individuals who may or may not be visible to the guest. Dining room waiters are often working the windjammer or some other venue (during the day). Your room attendant may sub-contract services from another room attendant and split gratuities accordingly. The simplest way of looking at it, is that they should all give you great service. The "gratuity" is what they expect as a minimum charge for providing that service. What they do with the collective or individual monies is not really worth worrying about.

The good news is that it wont cost you £1000. Based on the "recommended" daily amounts, your six on a 14 nighter will add up to $979 US dollars, in everything up to and including a Junior suite. In a full suite the total will be $1168. In conversion (at £1=$1.60) that is £612 or £730 respectively.

Yes it is a hefty additional expense, but as I say just a part and parcel of cruising. Look at this way, you have saved around £388 ($620) on what you thought you were going to pay. That is about 69 cocktails. (Peach Belini or Strawberry daiquiri, and that is your 5 a day)!

Have a great holiday! :)

1,000 Euros for 14 days is about 72 Euros per day.

72 Euros for 6 people is about 12 Euros per person per day.

That sounds reasonable to me.

She said £1,000 not euro or U.S. dollar currency. So the £12 a day is about US$20.00 per per person day (tips are usually paid in US currency), which may make sense if their cabin is a suite. That would be a $1600 gratuity/tip in U.S. currency. Ouch, that's $120 per day in tips alone.

I think that it is clearly explained up front what the tipping guidleines are, and if it is not agreeable, then someone shouldn't book a RCCL cruise.

She said £1,000 not euro or U.S. dollar currency. So the £12 a day is about US$20.00 per per person day (tips are usually paid in US currency), which may make sense if their cabin is a suite. That would be a $1600 gratuity/tip in U.S. currency. Ouch, that's $120 per day in tips alone.

$20 pp per day seems too high, even for a suite.

perhaps the OP is misreading the table. One has either a cabin attendant ($5 ppd) or a suite attendant ($7.25 ppd), not both. if the OP misunderstood the list as if to pay both, if would be close to $20, but incorrect (unless I am misreading the table:o) if they are in regular cabins it is less than $1000, not £1000. a couple hundred $ more if they selected suite accommodations. I know it is still a lot of money, but nice, long vacations are expensive.

Thats six people for 14 days. The ages your children are at they are basically needing the same attention as adults re bedding, cleaning and food serving. It does add up, doesn't it!

They really need to be clearer about these costs when telling us the cost of the cruise.

This is so true. Everyone rips on the airlines for "not accurately stating their fees", but I think this is just as big of an issue.

Can you please provide the breakdown of how you came up to 1,000 quid for the 6 of you over 14 nights. Thanks.

The tips are a known part of cruising.You have a choice of vacations and a 14 day cruise for six in a suite is an expensive one.No I don't believe it is extortion, it is what you chose to do.

I find it interesting that whenever somebody complains about the aggregate cost of the gratuities they fail to mention the amount that they are paying in cruise fares so that a fair comparison can be made. That "high" cost of gratuities might seem less outrageous in the context of the total cruise fare for those six individuals, but then people, knowing the total picture, might be less sympathetic to their "plight". If one can afford the cruise fare, it seems that they should also be able to afford the tips which are part of the cost of a cruise.:rolleyes:

The tips are a known part of cruising.You have a choice of vacations and a 14 day cruise for six in a suite is an expensive one.No I don't believe it is extortion, it is what you chose to do.

The tips are a known to people who are in the know about cruises. If you just go and book your cruise, it's not always clear. If you don't do your research or scroll around CC or other sites, it's easy to miss that you might have to pay hundreds of dollars more than what you're being quoted. We know because we have an interest in cruising and an interest in knowing the ins and outs of cruising. Not everyone is like that.

We have this argument over at an aviation forum that I am part of. "Everyone knows there are bag fees". Well, we do, because we are aviation nerds who fly constantly. Not everyone knows it, and the airlines don't always make it easy to find out.

Suites have higher pp pd tip guidelines than do basic cabins....and the tips cover not only the room/suite attendant, but the waiter, ass't. waiter and head waiter.

This is why research BEFORE you book ANY vacation is a good thing.....so you'll know all of the 'hidden' costs...and while gratuities aren't a "secret"...they aren't include in the base price....but they do need to be paid!

This is the information provided by RCI when I logged in to my cruise account today;

$18.90 a day x 6 people = $113.40 a day x 14 nights = $1587.60 which equates to roughly £1,000

Suite attendant USD 7.25 a day per guest

Stateroom attendant USD 5.00 a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter USD 3.75 a day per guest

Assistant Waiter USD 2.15 a day per guest

Head Waiter USD 0.75 a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added ro your bar or wine bill when you are served.

I am more than happy to pay gratuities and support the payment of them for good service. What I would query is that a 5yr old child pays the same as an adult – if that was the case then a 5yr old child should pay the same fare as an adult – same heads on beds scenario, food if you include all the extras they have as in ice creams, cakes, slices of pizza etc throughout the day.

We have cruised on this ship before and certainly don't remember the gratuities being so high.

I would gladly limit the amount of children I take – maybe leave two at home with 14 pizzas and 14 bowls of cereal?!!

The point I was making was that when you add it up, £1,000 is a lot of money to add on to a cruise cost – if I get the service which I don’t doubt I will for one moment then I will happily tip but it’ll have to be 100% first class service to get an additional £1,000.

I really do not understand why people have a problem tipping for children. Limit the amount of children you take and your cruise tips will be less. :).

What a silly comment, are you suggesting the OP leaves some of his family behind?

It is an eye opener for first time cruisers from the U.K, in all other matters childrens prices are cheaper than adults, from Theme Park tickets to Dining out you expect to pay less. Also on other European Cruise lines kids travel for free and the added service charge is nearly half that of adults.

I don't think anyone really has a problem with tipping for children after all when on an American ship do as the Americans do but you can't expect this to be universally known and I have never had a T/A point it out to me either.

$18.90 a day x 6 people = $113.40 a day x 14 nights = $1587.60 which equates to roughly £1,000

Head Waiter USD 0.75 a day per guest...What I would query is that a 5yr old child pays the same as an adult – if that was the case then a 5yr old child should pay the same fare as an adult – same heads on beds scenario, food if you include all the extras they have as in ice creams, cakes, slices of pizza etc throughout the day

... additional £1,000.

Are you in suites or regular cabins? If suite, you pay$7.25 PPD for the suite attendant. If stateroom, you pay $5 PPD for the stateroom attendant. I do not believe any person pays both. If you re-do you calculation to pay only one or the other, I think you will feel a little bit better.

Barring special sales, I generally see the same price for a 5 year old or a 45 year old. of course the third passenger in a cabin, regardless of age, is usually cheaper than the first two.

When I was 5, I got lots of attention of service people. I inadvertently made more messes. I fussed more. maybe your kid is different, but generally the crew earns the tip caring for your 5 year old (as they do caring for adults)

I don't think anyone really has a problem with tipping for children after all when on an American ship do as the Americans do but you can't expect this to be universally known and I have never had a T/A point it out to me either.

That reflects poorly upon your travel agents, doesn't it? An agent should prepare you for cultural difference and clearly disclose the costs before booking the trip. Do your agents lack knowledge? Or do they fail to communicate the salient information? Or are you an experienced traveler and they know that you know about tips?

As mentioned above, you only pay the stateroom OR suite attendant. If you are in a suite, it is about 280 pounds less, if not, about 400 pounds less.

Also, think of it as a "resort" fee, instead of gratuities; it may be easier to swallow.

This is the information provided by RCI when I logged in to my cruise account today;

Head Waiter USD 0.75 a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added ro your bar or wine bill when you are served.

The point I was making was that when you add it up, £1,000 is a lot of money to add on to a cruise cost – if I get the service which I don’t doubt I will for one moment then I will happily tip but it’ll have to be 100% first class service to get an additional £1,000.

Your response seems to show that you did not read the explanations that other posters gave to you. You do not pay the Suite attendant and the State room attendant. It is one or the other.

If you are in a Suite the gratuities are $13.90 per person per day or a total for your 14 day trip of $1,167.60.

If you are in a Stateroom the gratuities are $11.65 per per son per day or a total for your 14 day trip of $978.60.

We are a family of four and I understand how things add up so quickly. It was so much easier to travel when I was single and I paid for only one person, now I must multiply that cost by four.

Archived