Upper Elite ?

WELSH WIZARDS

Since, it's all completely arbitrary and has no real direct correlation to what anyone is PRECISELY bringing to Celebrity, what does it matter?

The real issue Celebrity...and Royal Caribbean...have is that it is extremely quick and easy to get to Elite level...I did it in a record number of cruises by doing long cruises and booking Suites and Concierge class...Then, they more than doubled the Elite pool by granting "reciprocity" with RCCL--a line with over twice a many ships each with a larger number of passengers...

Agree. One can take the January 2 night Bahamas cruise 5 years in a row in a CC cabin and have 10 points, but only 10 DAYS on Celebrity.

The problem is they will start taking away benefits for those who spent money to earn them (even if on the short cruises).

At some point the concern is they will take away the Elite benefits with Happy Hour for those who finally got to that level.

One of my pet peeves now is the reciprocity thing...

Someone with 10 short cruises on RCCL cruises Celebrity and gets those great Elite perks...

That seems to be the biggest issue, but not for Celebrity who is attracting new clients.

We could argue numbers, but I would suggest following the Royal Carribean program since there is receprocity. That would mean 80 days for Elite and 175 for a new Elite+ level. Could also have a new level to match "Pinnacle" at 700 days. I would grandfather in all current Selects and Elites. Of course this is all speculative and we could debate the pros and cons as well as number of days, but something should be done.

HAL is 200 Days for 4 Star.

I think they need to grandfather those who have already reached these levels, or risk losing clients who will not like having benefits taken away from them.

There is a menu of drinks that may be ordered. Decent variety, but do not expect many fancy options. Some people tip per/drink at time service is rendered, some people tip upfront each day, some people wait until the end of the cruise to tip. You also will have a daily breakfast event (except for the first and last day of the cruise) and have Bloody Mary's, Mimosas, espresso based coffees and fresh squeezed juices available.

Thanks for that. I cannot wait. Only 16 days until Pampered Paradise on the High Seas (i.e. the Suite Life on a Celebrity Cruise) !!! :D

I don't believe for a minute that any of the loyality programs are primarily designed as a way of saying "Thank You" to loyal passengers. Rather I believe that they are designed as a marketing strategy to attract new passengers and keep existing ones. Receprocity expands the potential base of people who have demonstrated a love of cruising. Inviting targeted people to a Captain's Table is designed to induce those loyal to competitive lines to switch to Celebrity. Keeping points within reach may cause some to take that extra cruise or upgrade their cabin to secure an extra point. I'm involved in an organization that raises money for educational and humanitarian causes. Contributions increased when they created a pin that would recognize a $1000 contribution. Someone said: Why not give a stone for each contribution of $1000 or more?" They did this and guess what happened? Contributions increased. Some people just wanted to "complete" their pin. I believe that it would be a wise marketing strategy to create more levels, as Denny01 has suggested, inorder to give more incentitive to book another cruise.

I think they need to grandfather those who have already reached these levels, or risk losing clients who will not like having benefits taken away from them.

Hi Jade,

I agree. If anything happens, I have to believe Celebrity would strongly consider grandfathering.

I too am an Elite member and personally I don't get the great concern over the cocktail party...it's nothing more than a hot crowded room with no where to sit unless you get there an hour before the doors open, you're lucky to get a couple drinks and maybe an appetizer and honestly the only topic of conversation among many is bragging rights on how many cruises they have been on. Free laundry and internet now those are perks!

.....My personal input is this: Any cruiser with 50+ credits should have the opportunity to be given an OBC AFTER final payment, if there is a fare reduction on their particular cabin. Their loyalty to the company should be appreciated.

I hope Celebrity is reading all the suggestions. Lots of good information!

By the way...we have 50+ credits...

I most strongly and profoundly disagree with you! The new level should be set at 25pts.....anyone want to hazard a guess how many points I have? Bingo!

But it's not about me, I'm just worrying about everyone else.

Den

I most strongly and profoundly disagree with you! The new level should be set at 25pts.....anyone want to hazard a guess how many points I have? Bingo!

Den

I agree Denny. I feel the Elite Plus level should be at 25+ credits. With that said, I'd also vote for another level with 50+ credits, and perhaps a 3rd new level at either 75 or 100 credits. That should solve the debate once and for all.

I too am an Elite member and personally I don't get the great concern over the cocktail party...it's nothing more than a hot crowded room with no where to sit unless you get there an hour before the doors open, you're lucky to get a couple drinks and maybe an appetizer and honestly the only topic of conversation among many is bragging rights on how many cruises they have been on. Free laundry and internet now those are perks!

Don't know what x cruises you have been on, but we have really enjoyed our 1 drink and meeting many new people from around the world that we still keep in contact with. You must have been on some really bad cruises or not on X cruises. Hope you have a better time next time you cruise.

I agree Denny. I feel the Elite Plus level should be at 25+ credits. With that said, I'd also vote for another level with 50+ credits, and perhaps a 3rd new level at either 75 or 100 credits. That should solve the debate once and for all.

The top cruiser on each cruise receives a free dinner in the speciality restaurant of their choice. I believe that anyone on a Celebritycruise who has achieved 100 points should receive the same.

So sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at the Elite Lounge. We've made 5 cruises since they initiated the new Elite benefits and never came close to that experience. We'd walk in after it opened, sometimes a 1/2 hr after, find a seat with friends or join a new group to meet others, sit in a nice atmosphere that is the same as when the lounge is open to everyone, either in Michaels but recently usually the Sky Lounge, have a drink in a few minutes, followed by another after that was finished. Yes, we'd of course talk on cruising (suprise surprise), and I dont remember any 'bragging rights' discussions, just talking usually about ships, ports and so on.

Love the other benefits, but the best one is the chance to meet other cruise-fanatics and talk away.

If it gets out of hand with some braggart on number of cruises, make up how many cruises youve made or just change the subject to something less controversial such as sex, politcs or my favorite, talk religion who you think is going to 'you know where' because they dont go to my church!

The only trouble is I'd start booking upgraded cabins to get more points, or join Orator on all those 2-3 day cruises out of Miame/Lauderdale!

Den

A concern that I have is that to make up for all the Elite Lounge benefits, Celebrity may be cutting corners elsewhere....like the dining room. Or.....raising the price of each cruise? As someone posted: most of the ship is Elite....(on certain voyages).

So sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at the Elite Lounge. We've made 5 cruises since they initiated the new Elite benefits and never came close to that experience. We'd walk in after it opened, sometimes a 1/2 hr after, find a seat with friends or join a new group to meet others, sit in a nice atmosphere that is the same as when the lounge is open to everyone, either in Michaels but recently usually the Sky Lounge, have a drink in a few minutes, followed by another after that was finished. Yes, we'd of course talk on cruising (suprise surprise), and I dont remember any 'bragging rights' discussions, just talking usually about ships, ports and so on.

Love the other benefits, but the best one is the chance to meet other cruise-fanatics and talk away.

If it gets out of hand with some braggart on number of cruises, make up how many cruises youve made or just change the subject to something less controversial such as sex, politcs or my favorite, talk religion who you think is going to 'you know where' because they dont go to my church!

The only trouble is I'd start booking upgraded cabins to get more points, or join Orator on all those 2-3 day cruises out of Miame/Lauderdale!

Den

Would be nice to finally meet you, but have you seen the price of Connie 2 day? Now the Reflection in January following SIL TA is tempting.

Den

O.K., O.K. they should make it 25 pts. And as Andy mentioned, then the next tier could be 75 pts.

But at least they should do SOMETHING. Or as Gracecarmo posted, soon the whole ship will be at Elite levels...especially on TA's.

Karyn

Agree. One can take the January 2 night Bahamas cruise 5 years in a row in a CC cabin and have 10 points, but only 10 DAYS on Celebrity.

The problem is they will start taking away benefits for those who spent money to earn them (even if on the short cruises).

At some point the concern is they will take away the Elite benefits with Happy Hour for those who finally got to that level.

You make a good point. But there is a flip side of this issue. Everytime a passenger steps foot onboard, Celebrity is hoping that every person generates a certain amount of $$ per cruise. So they throw out a bone...in this case, cruise credits.... the passenger feels rewarded for their loyalty to the brand.

I'm not saying this is wrong, because it is based upon Celebrity's business model. After all...it isn't a non-profit organization.

For years I managed Dental offices, and subsequently became a Business Consultant in the dental field. We knew down to penny, what we wanted each dental chair to generate per hour. First and foremost, it was a business, and had to be run as a business.

Celebrity is no different. It just happens to be in the travel/hospitality business.

It is very interesting when a thread about Elite Plus starts, there is a lot of interest with opinions based on the individual's number of credits. From talking to personnel on the ships, I know that Celebrity recognizes that they have a problem with Loyalty Program. I just wish they would fix it sooner than later.

While sailing on the Eclipse transatlantic cruise just over a week ago, a fellow passenger informed me they had UPPER ELITE status.

I had seen nothing about this on CC , but they are utterly reliable.

After doing a quiz and passing Michael's club and wanting a soft drink I and my husband attempted to enter at just after 5 o clock for happy hour , something we very rarely do , and was told we could not enter as it it was for Upper Elite only, and to go to the other Elite gathering . ? :confused:

Does anyone have any info....?

I emailed the Captains club to find our how many trips/ credits you need to qualify, but have had no reply after a week, except an automatic acknowledgement.

Curiosity is killing this cat .:D

I think you should consider yourself very fortunate that you weren't put on double secret probation. :eek: Trying to sneek into Michaels without upper elite is even worse than wearing a pledge pin on your uniform.:p

I think you should consider yourself very fortunate that you weren't put on double secret probation. :eek: Trying to sneek into Michaels without upper elite is even worse than wearing a pledge pin on your uniform.:p

Navyrotorhead..... consider me duly reprimanded...:o......I am now sitting on the naughty step as I type......;)

naughty+step.jpg...Strangly the older I get the more time I seem to spend there.

As a new cruiser to Celebrity I was surprised to see how easy it is to reach Elite status. We have booked one 16-night and are considering two other 14-night cruises in a 12-month period and we will be in concierge class so would have 9 credits after these 3 cruises. One more cruise and we would be Elite :eek:

We are Elite with Princess and their qualification is 15 cruises or 150 days at sea. On the Princess cruises we sail on (mainly Australia and Asia) I would estimate there are generally only about 50-100 Elites on each cruise - so it really does mean something. I guess this is why the benefits are better too i.e. unlimited free laundry.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to soon being Elite with X too :D

I preferred the "Top Elite" event held in Michael's on the TA Jennie was on (actually it was the Molecular Bar for the first few days because of a flood in Michael's) to the general one in the Sky Lounge with fewer overall Elites for the following cruise to Norway. It was more intimate and the service better. As others have said here it was driven by the logistics of having so many Elites on the TA.

Phil

A concern that I have is that to make up for all the Elite Lounge benefits, Celebrity may be cutting corners elsewhere....like the dining room. Or.....raising the price of each cruise? As someone posted: most of the ship is Elite....(on certain voyages).

Gracecarmo, I agree with you. Celebrity is losing profits with free drinks poured in the Sky Lounge and Michaels.

In addition, other cruisers are not getting the benefit of buying their own drinks during cocktail hours and sailaways in those two lounges for a period that includes setting up and cleaning up after the 5-7pm function.

We have been barred from the Sky Lounge on a cruise because the function was in preparation. Greatly offended us that we could not just look inside to see if the other was there waiting for us.

Recently, on a Celebrity Cruise we purchased drinks from another bar and asked to be seated in the "area for other paying passengers" in Sky Lounge for a sailaway. We were seated in what was the smoking section of Sky Lounge and met other passengers (non-Elite) who were sitting there during the Elite cocktail time. They were shocked that they could not purchase a drink. We learned because we had our drinks in hand which made them pose the question. Other paying passengers left Sky Lounge. They were irritated.

Another impact on the bottom line is that Elite passengers are not as likely to book shore excursions with Celebrity. They are less likely to make purchases in the shops.

I believe the lost revenue due to the complimentary drinks could impact my food and service in the MDR with lower quality food and crew that is stretched to thin.

On Millie in the fall, our cabin steward serviced 29 cabins.

Perhaps many of the posters on this board are Elite and because they are at complimentary parties during cocktail hour they are not complaining about the BLAST of music in the Grand Foyer/Atrium area where the Martini Bar and many other seating areas are located. Another way my dollars are being chased away from Celebrity's bottom line.

Food for thought as the Elites and Super Elites keep posting that they like the parties for the drinks, recognition, and chance to talk "with other passengers".

There are many "other passengers" on a Celebrity ship, even with 1,000 Elites.

I favor giving the multi-cruise passengers some coupons to get complimentary drinks at any bar at any time the bars are open.

Also, IMHO -- give them a badge or banner to wear if they so wish.

A side feature is that the boastful Elites can get to know all of us. Some say, they already know each other. Then they can drink together or not.

Respectfully submitted,

Maris

Maris, your suggestion for coupons for comp. drinks makes some sense. And, it would also solve the problem of the difference between Elite and Elite Plus by giving more coupons to the Plus folks.

However, I would not be happy if the Michael's Club breakfast was eliminated.

Gracecarmo, I agree with you. Celebrity is losing profits with free drinks poured in the Sky Lounge and Michaels.

In addition, other cruisers are not getting the benefit of buying their own drinks during cocktail hours and sailaways in those two lounges for a period that includes setting up and cleaning up after the 5-7pm function.

We have been barred from the Sky Lounge on a cruise because the function was in preparation. Greatly offended us that we could not just look inside to see if the other was there waiting for us.

Recently, on a Celebrity Cruise we purchased drinks from another bar and asked to be seated in the "area for other paying passengers" in Sky Lounge for a sailaway. We were seated in what was the smoking section of Sky Lounge and met other passengers (non-Elite) who were sitting there during the Elite cocktail time. They were shocked that they could not purchase a drink. We learned because we had our drinks in hand which made them pose the question. Other paying passengers left Sky Lounge. They were irritated.

Another impact on the bottom line is that Elite passengers are not as likely to book shore excursions with Celebrity. They are less likely to make purchases in the shops.

I believe the lost revenue due to the complimentary drinks could impact my food and service in the MDR with lower quality food and crew that is stretched to thin.

On Millie in the fall, our cabin steward serviced 29 cabins.

Perhaps many of the posters on this board are Elite and because they are at complimentary parties during cocktail hour they are not complaining about the BLAST of music in the Grand Foyer/Atrium area where the Martini Bar and many other seating areas are located. Another way my dollars are being chased away from Celebrity's bottom line.

Food for thought as the Elites and Super Elites keep posting that they like the parties for the drinks, recognition, and chance to talk "with other passengers".

There are many "other passengers" on a Celebrity ship, even with 1,000 Elites.

I favor giving the multi-cruise passengers some coupons to get complimentary drinks at any bar at any time the bars are open.

Also, IMHO -- give them a badge or banner to wear if they so wish.

A side feature is that the boastful Elites can get to know all of us. Some say, they already know each other. Then they can drink together or not.

Respectfully submitted,

Maris

Maris,

You sound a bit bitter...and your arguments a bit convoluted and contrived...

"Boastful Elites"???

"Elite passengers are not as likely to book shore excursions with Celebrity. They are less likely to make purchases in the shops."??? And these statistics comes from where???

Elite passengers are just like everyone else on board...Only difference is that we have been on a few more cruises with Celebrity.

The odds of an Elite passenger booking a shore excursion or buying something in the onboard shops are about the same as with anyone else...

For about an hour of so (from 5-6 because I usually have 6:00 dinner seating) I get a complimentary drink or two in a designated venue...

I have plenty of opportunity to stop by the Grand Foyer or the Martini Bar, so, IF the volume of the music there was truly objectionable to me, I would hear it as well...To rea your post, you'd think the Elites and non-Elites were totally segregated all cruise long with one group being treated royally and the other being TORTURED!!!

Having the Elite drinking hours really doesn't impact service for anyone...Statistically speaking, it doesn't matter if you have 30 bar waiters serving 2,000 people over the entire ship or 3 bar waiters serving 100 people in one venue while 27 serve the other 1,900 in the other venues...The ratios are still the same.

You end up being excluded from a particular bar for a couple of hours most days of the cruise (NOT "Sailaway Day"--the event is never held that day)?? There are plenty of other venues on the ship--tht are likely less crowded since so many of us Elites are at the event...

You REALLY believe that "the lost revenue due to the complimentary drinks could impact your food and service in the MDR with lower quality food and crew that is stretched too thin."?????

You don't really understand business, do you? Businesses carefully account for all of their costs and income...They can adjust the bottom line in a number of ways...Alcohol COSTS are actually minimal..."lost profits" on alcohol is purely speculative...A few free drinks is not a major impact on their bottom line...They have already weighed the cost/benefit...It's a marketing cost...they also give away free drinks to EVERYONE at the Captain's Reception...and they give away free brochures (which are costly)...Heck, they even give away free cruises...to the travel industry, to high stakes casino gamblers and others...

They DON'T sit around saying "We gave away 200 free drinks, now we have to recoup that money by cutting Maris' Cabin Steward!"

It is already in the budget...They price their cruises considering all of their fixed costs and estimating the variable ones based on experience...Competion, not "free drinks" has the greatest impact on pricing--which, in turn, dictates how and where around the ship they spend their money...The Captains Club perks are just one of many things they spend on in order to fight off the competition...food, service, etc. are among the other things they need to do well to beat the competition...it is not one or the other...

I NEVER felt that I was shorted in any way by Celebrity PRIOR to becoming Elite...and, now, I really enjoy the benefits of being "Elite"...I would have cruised on Celebrity whether they had these perks or not...

Maris, if you are as jealous of the Elites as you sound, I suggest you just keep cruising with Celebrity...and, soon enough, you will be there as well...Then you won't have to feel like you were excluded from the Sky Lounge or subjected to loud music in the Atrium...

Archived