Upper Elite ?

WELSH WIZARDS

Maris, your suggestion for coupons for comp. drinks makes some sense. And, it would also solve the problem of the difference between Elite and Elite Plus by giving more coupons to the Plus folks.

However, I would not be happy if the Michael's Club breakfast was eliminated.

Thank you for your support on the coupon idea. It is not an original idea of mine. Coupons were mentioned on this board by Anne, a host in 2010. Maybe she's still here, thank you Anne.

No, I wouldn't eliminate the Elite breakfast. DH looks forward to Breakfast. I may stop by for a Latte.

Bruin Steve said I'm bitter. Yes, indeed I am. Celebrity let me down when they would not respect me to go into Sky Lounge to look for my husband for sailaway from Lisbon. The party hadn't started, I knew nothing about "Elite" Status. It was rude and unnecessary to bar me at the door.

Actually, we are now officially Elite !!! That doesn't make me any more interesting than any other passenger on the ships. We have always had a great time meeting people over many years of cruising. All of us have good stories to tell of our life experiences.

We are not inclined to stand outside a door with a room card or an invitation to get into a crowded room for a free drink. We can afford to buy drinks we like at the time and place we choose. IMHO, A sailaway is special and required the perfect view. Any passenger wanting to sit for sailaway and a drink in Sky Lounge should have the opportunity regardless of number of tiers. Even more important for the new cruisers that they aren't treated rudely and barred from a lounge door.

We enjoy photo, internet and laundry perks. I don't feel that those perks are offensive to other passengers as they are not space restricted.

I just want to share my ideas and opinions.

Maris

Maris, we have always enjoyed Sail a way on our balcony, rather having to fight the crowds.

Balcony viewing is great, but sailaways are for the widest view we can get.

When we see a crowd, we go the other way, even at the Blue Mosque.

DH looked at the crowd and said "we're going the other way". It was a long trip from Florida for such a decision.

The crowd I must accept is the one on deck when going through the Panama Canal.

Maris

When we see a crowd, we go the other way, even at the Blue Mosque.

DH looked at the crowd and said "we're going the other way". It was a long trip from Florida for such a decision.

There are very few famous sites that don't have crowds. I assume you skipped ephesus completely, you have never seen the Sistine chapel or the Terra Cotta warriors in Xian, the valley of the kings in Luxor, the Taj Mahal and so on.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and tough out the crowds....

Wow, I know it gets a bit tiring listening to (well reading really) those that are in a loyalty program talk about the benefits they get and how nice it will be if they can get more of the same, but so much anger and made-up issues and non-existent impact on you, is a bit odd.

As Bruin Steve points out, none of these benefits adversely impact the other passengers, and most of the benefits are about a few drinks, a light breakfast that's not nearly as extensive as any other venue available to all the passengers, but does include a free Bloody Mary or Latte those Snooty Elites just love.

The Line makes more money because the Snobby Eites keep blindly coming back to this inferior product for a free drink and a place to hang out so they dont have to be around 'those people'.

By the way:

1. The morning and Evening Elite breakfast/Happy Hrs are in venues that are not open (no bar or music or other service is avail during those times), and there are a ton of other places to take adavantage of the ship - unless that someone wants to intentionally feel excluded. And as Bruin said, there is a problem with the complaint because there is no Elite venue in the Sky Lounge during sailaway...could have been someother group of Superior Types.

2. All other benefits are for indiividual items such as free laundry and internet hrs, which does not impact anyone, and no/minimal impact on revenues.

3. All business know if you give customers a few free drinks, there is a high chance they will continue to have a bit more, buying their own.

4. Paying out a few extra bucks for cheap booze results in idiots such as myself using that Line as their favored Line. Ignore that the free glass of wine is very low cost to the business and lets look at the money they are 'losing' that I would pay for it. lets say I get one Bloody Mary and two glasses of wine in the two Elite venues each day, which would equal $20 (probaly a bit less really). Also ignoring that the Elite lounge is not open every evening, but to keep it simple, on at 10N cruise, they lose $200. Ok, instead of some non-Elite working stiff having to make up that loss, I, because I never worked a day in my life live off my family trust, just love those benefits so I can boast about them all the time, I book another cruise on that Line, and they get $700-$5,000 - depending on if I want to boast even more and get a Suite, because we all know thats why people get Suites and go to Loyalty programs, just so they can lord it over the masses. So the Line somehow gets the loss of that original revenue back, and the non-Elites in fact get a better deal because those Egomanic Elites are paying up.

So next time I have to spend Any time accidently talking to some non-Elite (that would just ruin my whole cruise!), I will insist they fork over the money I'm saving them.

The one idea I loved from the post beating up the Elite program is we should all get really big banners like those that beauty queens wear so we dont inadvertantly start talking with one of the 'commoners'.

Den

While sailing on the Eclipse transatlantic cruise just over a week ago, a fellow passenger informed me they had UPPER ELITE status.

I had seen nothing about this on CC , but they are utterly reliable.

After doing a quiz and passing Michael's club and wanting a soft drink I and my husband attempted to enter at just after 5 o clock for happy hour , something we very rarely do , and was told we could not enter as it it was for Upper Elite only, and to go to the other Elite gathering . ? :confused:

Does anyone have any info....?

I emailed the Captains club to find our how many trips/ credits you need to qualify, but have had no reply after a week, except an automatic acknowledgement.

Curiosity is killing this cat .:D

Interesting "pot" you stirred!! We are on Infinity from Harwich for the fall '13 T/A...any chance you might want to do that one instead of the one you have scheduled??? Would so like to sail with you again...and that cruise...at least for us...has some new ports for a T/A..Hope you two are well!! LuAnn

I have 25 credits with 4 more booked.

It seems to me that too much focus is on free drinks as the main incentive/reward. I don't drink alcohol at all, so that is not much of a perk for me. I do enjoy meeting with fellow cruisers during happy hour, but it is not a monetary reward. Perhaps they could offer reduced prices at the specialty restaurant, use of the T Pool on all ships, etc. in addition to the happy hour.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I once attended a Rotary Club luncheon where the food was really horrible. We are complained about it, except for one member who just kept eating the meal. One of the members turned to him and asked: "Tien Lu, how can you eat this food, it's horrible". Tien Lu looked up and said: " When I was a boy in Taiwan I lived under the Japanese occupation. We had to eat our family dog to live. My brother died of starvation. I never complain about food." We are all very fortunate in these times to be able to cruise , many multiple times per year,and look for things to complain about. I hope to just continue to enjoy the experience.

Bruin Steve said I'm bitter. Yes, indeed I am. Celebrity let me down when they would not respect me to go into Sky Lounge to look for my husband for sailaway from Lisbon. The party hadn't started, I knew nothing about "Elite" Status. It was rude and unnecessary to bar me at the door.

Maris

Wow! Celebrity certainly made a mistake when they barred you from the Sky Lounge.

I need to correct one mis-statement in my earlier post when I said the Elite event was not held during sailaway so therefore the poster was mistaken in being 'banned' from the Sky Lounge. I was thinking about the initial departure as the Sailaway, and overlooked the poster was probably referring to one of the port of call sailaways during the cruise, which could have easily conincided with the staff setting up the Lounge for the Elite Event.

Yup, some venues are closed, as was the Card Room on our cruise because the Bridge group had taken it over many times, as was a lounge closed due to a wedding, and forget cruising on a theme-cruise where they have special events if you take offense at not being able to enter any venue you wish at any time.

Sorry.

Den

I once attended a Rotary Club luncheon where the food was really horrible. We are complained about it, except for one member who just kept eating the meal. One of the members turned to him and asked: "Tien Lu, how can you eat this food, it's horrible". Tien Lu looked up and said: " When I was a boy in Taiwan I lived under the Japanese occupation. We had to eat our family dog to live. My brother died of starvation. I never complain about food." We are all very fortunate in these times to be able to cruise , many multiple times per year,and look for things to complain about. I hope to just continue to enjoy the experience.

Thank you for a very moving story - one that puts so much, even way beyond this thread, into perspective. You really must be a wonderful orator.

Susan

Interesting "pot" you stirred!! We are on Infinity from Harwich for the fall '13 T/A...any chance you might want to do that one instead of the one you have scheduled??? Would so like to sail with you again...and that cruise...at least for us...has some new ports for a T/A..Hope you two are well!! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn....yes, and all I wanted was to get a coke. :D

I thought about your TA from Harwich , Mike likes to sail from the UK , but we really wanted to sail with Jim and Giselle Phipps again .

Did you ever meet them ? They are from Maine.

Hi LuAnn....yes, and all I wanted was to get a coke. :D

All I wanted was to look inside Sky Lounge while they were setting up for an Elite function.

It was the Meet Place for our Sailaway from Lisbon. We had crossed from Ft. Lauderdale and Lisbon was our first port stop.

There was much confusion that day with getting off the ship for tours. Our meet place was preset for upfront of Sky Lounge

They just turned him away. I didn't know so waited outside the Lounge.

For you it was just a coke, for me, just a look inside. They were very rude to both of us that day.

Maris

Thank you for your support on the coupon idea. It is not an original idea of mine. Coupons were mentioned on this board by Anne, a host in 2010. Maybe she's still here, thank you Anne.

No, I wouldn't eliminate the Elite breakfast. DH looks forward to Breakfast. I may stop by for a Latte.

Actually, we are now officially Elite !!! That doesn't make me any more interesting than any other passenger on the ships. We have always had a great time meeting people over many years of cruising. All of us have good stories to tell of our life experiences.

We are not inclined to stand outside a door with a room card or an invitation to get into a crowded room for a free drink. We can afford to buy drinks we like at the time and place we choose. IMHO, A sailaway is special and required the perfect view. Any passenger wanting to sit for sailaway and a drink in Sky Lounge should have the opportunity regardless of number of tiers. Even more important for the new cruisers that they aren't treated rudely and barred from a lounge door.

We enjoy photo, internet and laundry perks. I don't feel that those perks are offensive to other passengers as they are not space restricted.

I just want to share my ideas and opinions.

Maris

My thanks to those posters who were polite in responding to my posts.

Though, I may have been unnecessarily wordy in expressing my opinions.

I do feel that these message boards are the place to write them.

Maris

Oh dear, this has caused quite a problem!!:eek::eek:

Probably would have been better to have chosen the required number alphabetically:D:D

Anyway, there is NO upper elite and had it happened to me, I would have been extremely miffed - instant e-mail to HQ in Miami!!!

However, I have to admit that I hate dingy old Michaels and love the Sky Lounge!!! Would have still complained though, if I wasn't upper elite. hehehe!!!

My thanks to those posters who were polite in responding to my posts.

Though, I may have been unnecessarily wordy in expressing my opinions.

I do feel that these message boards are the place to write them.

Maris

Maris, you are right on, on this post. And yes, you did get some reaction from others, probably including me, but you might read through your earlier posts and notice there is more than just a suggestion of the coupon approach, or just your concern over the Elites taking over a venue that isn't then open to all.

Both of those were right on, and are legit issues, but in your posts, you put more than a few barbs on the 'elitist' attitude and view you percieved and what could be read as putdowns of the people who take part in the programs, which then gets reaction, just as mine were probably read and interpreted most edgy then meant.

One of the obvious problems is we aren't face-face and don't catch the tone or the manner words would be said, so there can be big misinterpretations of what is meant....but then again the typed words can express exactly what you or I mean, and is meant with a barb.

Enjoy your cruise and maybe we'll share a drink (well, not the same glass!) and discuss this face-face.

Den

When I fly I would love to be able to sit in the First Class Lounge to wait for my flight. After all, it is the best place to watch the planes take off. However, I understand that loyalty is rewarded by various businesses offering perks to repeat customers, and Celebrity is just one of those businesses. I have not yet sailed as an "Elite", but when I do I will be happy to stand with card in hand to be admitted to an Elite function, even though I, too, can afford to purchase my own drinks. You make it sound as though it's a vile, shameful practice. I think it will be fun!

...I will be happy to stand with card in hand to be admitted to an Elite function' date=' even though I, too, can afford to purchase my own drinks. You make it sound as though it's a vile, shameful practice. I think it will be fun![/quote']

It IS fun...

I think one thing being missed here is that the TransAtlantic with 800 Elites is an anomaly...

When I have been on ships with large numbers of Elites and they've had to move the event to the Sky Lounge, it is only a SECTION of the Sky Lounge that is roped off--on the side of the lounge...Non-Elites are still able to use ablout 3/4ths of the lounge including the windows to the very front. In the greater scheme of things, on the vast majority of sailings, there is really NO material adverse effect to the non-Elite...

Yes, I can afford to buy my own drinks...so the "coupon" idea is really of very little attraction to me...

The thing with the Elite drinking hours is that it IS special...The service, overally, on Celebrity is excellent...but, for the Elite Lounge, they really step it up to another level of special...The servers really make it a point to remember what everyone drinks, they tend to have it ready for me, knowing when I arrive, they bring me refills without my asking...It being a limited club (and, on most ships, a small group of regulars), it is a more relaxed place to sit and have a drink with the same group of friends every night...The Ship's Senior Officers come by and talk with us, making us fill particularly welcome...So, it is not just the "free drink", it is the overall experience...and it is a level of service and an atmosphere that is simply impossible to do for the entire ship...

Now, I have cruises oin several different cruise lines...And I have gotten some form of special treatment on different lines for a variety of reasons...Sometimes it is for my level in the repeat customer club, sometimes it is because of the category of cabin I have booked...

I was on an Oceania cruise in August...and, because I was in an Oceania Suite, I received all sorts of special service...and I had access to a lounge on the ship that was only open to Suite guests. I am sure everyone onboard would like to have had access to that lounge...but, sorry, it was one of those perks that only certain people get...

Sorry, friends, it's just the rules of the cruise lines...Everything is not completely equal...They reward various passengers with a bit more--for a variety of reasons...Sometimes it's because you are paying MORE MONEY for a Concierge Cabin or an Aqua Class Cabin or a Suite...Sometimes it is because you have put more money into their coffers over the years by being a more frequent customer...

The cruise lines ALL have deemed it necessary to give these people--the ones who are helping them be successful--just a little bit more...

They STILL provide great service and amenities and food and entertainment and so on to EVERYONE who cruises with Celebrity...and, it may upset you that, on rare occasions, you feel that steps on your toes a small bit...But, that is just the way it works...

As to the Elite cocktail hour in the Sky Lounge infringing on your "Sailaway" party, I somehow STILL doubt that...They do not hold the Elite Drinking hours on Embarkation Day...

The practice is hardly limited to elite events on Celebrity. We have been on a number of cruises, on various cruise lines, where special interest groups on board held their own private functions in rooms that were closed off to the rest of the passengers.

When I have been on ships with large numbers of Elites and they've had to move the event to the Sky Lounge, it is only a SECTION of the Sky Lounge that is roped off--on the side of the lounge...Non-Elites are still able to use ablout 3/4ths of the lounge including the windows to the very front. In the greater scheme of things, on the vast majority of sailings, there is really NO material adverse effect to the non-Elite.....
That was the way we experienced it in the past also, but I am wondering how they handle it on the M-class ships post-solsticization now that they have reduced the size of the sky lounge and the views by blocking off the port side to put the children's play area there.

We could argue numbers, but I would suggest following the Royal Carribean program since there is receprocity. That would mean 80 days for Elite and 175 for a new Elite+ level. Could also have a new level to match "Pinnacle" at 700 days. I would grandfather in all current Selects and Elites. Of course this is all speculative and we could debate the pros and cons as well as number of days, but something should be done.

There was a lot of unhappy customers when Royal first converted, depending on where you were. Under the old method you needed 10 points to get diamond and 24 to get diamond plus.

If you had 8 pts, they bumped you to 69 points. Meaning that you were close enough to get Diamond in 2 cruises, but not if they were 3 nighters.

But, if you only had 7 cruises, you only received 52 pts, putting you at 4 7 night cruises. A lot of people were upset, since they now how to book at least 1 extra cruise to get that Diamond status.

I just hate the fact that my points don't add together. Next week I will earn point 5 on Celebrity and I will be Diamond on Royal by November. I enjoy sailing both lines, but don't want to give up on earning higher status because of this.

There was a lot of unhappy customers when Royal first converted, depending on where you were. Under the old method you needed 10 points to get diamond and 24 to get diamond plus.

If you had 8 pts, they bumped you to 69 points. Meaning that you were close enough to get Diamond in 2 cruises, but not if they were 3 nighters.

But, if you only had 7 cruises, you only received 52 pts, putting you at 4 7 night cruises. A lot of people were upset, since they now how to book at least 1 extra cruise to get that Diamond status.

I just hate the fact that my points don't add together. Next week I will earn point 5 on Celebrity and I will be Diamond on Royal by November. I enjoy sailing both lines, but don't want to give up on earning higher status because of this.

Change usually means that some will be unhappy. I suspect that there will be many vocal complaints if X follows the RCL model. I suspect that just as in other cases of change, complaints will lessen as people adjust to the new realities and that the vast majority will embrace the change.

Archived