Royal Caribbean and Crown and Anchor Points!?

I have a few problems with Royal Caribbean's newer point system. My dad and I have been cruising since the 1990's and have always had a junior or above. We would receive one credit per cruise, never took a 3 day cruise. Once they made this change I was shy of the Diamond Plus at first… not a problem there. They made the change because they had too many crown and anchor members and had to do something about it. Like adding a pinnacle group etc. and new point system… This is my Problem…. for us in California still working being a pinnacle member seems almost impossible at this point. BUT WHY DO THEY GIVE DOUBLE POINTS TO ANYONE FOR ANYTHING?! i didnt get double points for the first 16 years of cruising for staying in a suite.

Royal now gives double points to sell out rooms multiple months throughout the year, discounts if you live in Florida (dont get me wrong that is great! however its annoying to see that someone who doesnt need to spend money on airfare gets a huge discount on cruising and gets double points at the same time). (caribbean) Wasn't the reason to changing to points to monitor the amount of crown and anchor members in the first place? What are they going to do when everyone becomes Diamond Plus and Pinnacle with these perks they seem to always have? I dont want to hear them turn down people in lounges for being "loyal" when they have too many people… Just seems odd that they give double points when they are trying to limit pinnacle member points. what do you think?

I have a few problems with Royal Caribbean's newer point system. My dad and I have been cruising since the 1990's and have always had a junior or above. We would receive one credit per cruise, never took a 3 day cruise. Once they made this change I was shy of the Diamond Plus at first… not a problem there. They made the change because they had too many crown and anchor members and had to do something about it. Like adding a pinnacle group etc. and new point system… This is my Problem…. for us in California still working being a pinnacle member seems almost impossible at this point. BUT WHY DO THEY GIVE DOUBLE POINTS TO ANYONE FOR ANYTHING?! i didnt get double points for the first 16 years of cruising for staying in a suite.

Royal now gives double points to sell out rooms multiple months throughout the year, discounts if you live in Florida (dont get me wrong that is great! however its annoying to see that someone who doesnt need to spend money on airfare gets a huge discount on cruising and gets double points at the same time). (caribbean) Wasn't the reason to changing to points to monitor the amount of crown and anchor members in the first place? What are they going to do when everyone becomes Diamond Plus and Pinnacle with these perks they seem to always have? I dont want to hear them turn down people in lounges for being "loyal" when they have too many people… Just seems odd that they give double points when they are trying to limit pinnacle member points. what do you think?

I think the transfer of levels from the old system to the new one basiscally worked out OK. But to your main point, if you break it down, diamond plus is 175 pts. Even at double points, that is essentially 13 - 7 day cruises to achieve. Figuring 1 cruse per year - that would take over 13 years to reach. (I know many people do more than that, but the average cruiser may not). Pinnacle is 700 points - or 50 cruises at double points! (100 at single) Do the math - I don't think there will be a flood of pinnacle people too soon. Diamond plus is a pretty good reach for most! And in our case, we are knocking on the D+ door - which has enough of the perks associated with it that at that point, we will start looking at other lines as options as we would have reached the highest level we would likely ever see with RCI.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On the old system, Royal Caribbean provided double points if

1) You stayed in a Junior Suite or above

2) You cruised 12(?) days or longer

So, you could potentially earn up to 3 credits per cruise if you fell in both 'doubling' categories.

So, you did receive double cruise points for every cruise you've taken.

What has changed with they system is that they now reward cruise points to the length of your sailing. So, this is beneficial to people who take 8-11 day cruises which under the old system only received one cruise credit. However, it's not as beneficial to people who only sail 3-day cruises.

When they converted old points, however, people who sailed only 3-6 day cruises received credit for 7-night cruises. So they benefitted from the change. However, people who sailed the 9-11 night cruises still only received points for 7-night cruises. They didn't lose anything, but they also didn't gain anything for having taken longer cruises in the past - though they will now be rewarded for their longer sailings.

They really aren't offering more "double" point opportunities - in fact, they actually took one away (you no longer receive double points for 12-night or longer cruises because points are now rewarded on length of sailing). They changed the scale of categories, and also slipped the Emerald status in between Platinum and Diamond to make it even longer before people can hit Diamond/Diamond Plus. And, they have limited the Concierge lounge to Diamond Plus and higher, I believe. Yes, Pinnacle is very far away, but they positioned it that way so that people will continue to sail Royal after they hit D+ status, rather than go build loyalty on another line.

On the old system, Royal Caribbean provided double points if

1) You stayed in a Junior Suite or above

2) You cruised 12(?) days or longer

So, you could potentially earn up to 3 credits per cruise if you fell in both 'doubling' categories.

So, you did receive double cruise points for every cruise you've taken.

What has changed with they system is that they now reward cruise points to the length of your sailing. So, this is beneficial to people who take 8-11 day cruises which under the old system only received one cruise credit. However, it's not as beneficial to people who only sail 3-day cruises.

When they converted old points, however, people who sailed only 3-6 day cruises received credit for 7-night cruises. So they benefitted from the change. However, people who sailed the 9-11 night cruises still only received points for 7-night cruises. They didn't lose anything, but they also didn't gain anything for having taken longer cruises in the past - though they will now be rewarded for their longer sailings.

They really aren't offering more "double" point opportunities - in fact, they actually took one away (you no longer receive double points for 12-night or longer cruises because points are now rewarded on length of sailing). They changed the scale of categories, and also slipped the Emerald status in between Platinum and Diamond to make it even longer before people can hit Diamond/Diamond Plus. And, they have limited the Concierge lounge to Diamond Plus and higher, I believe. Yes, Pinnacle is very far away, but they positioned it that way so that people will continue to sail Royal after they hit D+ status, rather than go build loyalty on another line.

They started the double suite points later though not at first. It just seems dumb to me that they offer these promotions but have an overflow of

People in the cl's.

(There are roughly 700 pinnacle members ( according to agent in the phone recently)

That's a lot in my opinion! What's next for crown and anchor though? There are a lot of members and I feel that guests will soon suffer from them taking away certain luxuries and activities for us. This is not a huge concern of

Mine I love royal Caribbean regardless, just wondering how people feel about the crown and anchor program. And what they see coming next?! Thanks for the replys!

They started the double suite points later though not at first. It just seems dumb to me that they offer these promotions but have an overflow of

People in the cl's.

(There are roughly 700 pinnacle members ( according to agent in the phone recently)

That's a lot in my opinion! What's next for crown and anchor though? There are a lot of members and I feel that guests will soon suffer from them taking away certain luxuries and activities for us. This is not a huge concern of

Mine I love royal Caribbean regardless, just wondering how people feel about the crown and anchor program. And what they see coming next?! Thanks for the replys!

700 sounds like a lot as a number, but as a portion of the population of each ship on each cruise each year, etc., it is actually a very small number. To your point I think the bigger concern would be the Diamond and up levels which probably numbers in the (many) thousands. Even with the diamond entry level it will still take newbie a number of years to qualify - it took us about 12+ years. But with all of the ships being enhanced over the next few years to include diamond lounges and CL's, hopefully the number of diamonds and above per cruise will be handled. They are doing this to accomodate the growing number of us so hopefully their planning will prove right. But I too like the perks and being part of the club.......

Edited by leaveitallbehind

People in the cl's.

It's not a promotion. A promotion is a sales tactic run for a brief period of time to encourage people to travel during periods of time when they are having difficulty booking rooms.

It's a loyalty program. It doesn't change very often. They offer incentives, not promotions (okay, they do offer occasional promotions, such as Diamonds in December and reduced rates for select sailings).

They offer these incentives for marketing purposes. They want customers to continue to return and sail Royal Caribbean, so they offer incentives on a point system to keep people coming back. These incentives are at very little cost to the company - a small percentage of profit to "forfeit" in exchange for the profit earned from a returning customer. Not to say that Royal Caribbean could care less if the CL is overcrowded, but I wouldn't say it's a huge concern - and they are already working on these problems by limiting the CL to DPlus and above and then adding in separate venues for DPlus and above in addition or instead of the Concierge Lounge.

In my personal opinion, the CL should be exclusive for concierge-level guests, and the Diamond/DPlus/Pinnacle members can have another reserved area for evening cocktails. Just a thought.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

I think the transfer of levels from the old system to the new one basiscally worked out OK. But to your main point, if you break it down, diamond plus is 175 pts. Even at double points, that is essentially 13 - 7 day cruises to achieve. Figuring 1 cruse per year - that would take over 13 years to reach. (I know many people do more than that, but the average cruiser may not). Pinnacle is 700 points - or 50 cruises at double points! (100 at single) Do the math - I don't think there will be a flood of pinnacle people too soon. Diamond plus is a pretty good reach for most! And in our case, we are knocking on the D+ door - which has enough of the perks associated with it that at that point, we will start looking at other lines as options as we would have reached the highest level we would likely ever see with RCI.

Before the change from credits to points, you became D+ after completing 24 cruises.

Now you need 175 cruise points, and 7 X 25 = 175. The requirements are basically the same. (As you said, halve that if you are staying in suites every time. Again, not a change).

I don't see what the big brouhaha is.

This actually makes it FAIRER, so that a 10 night and a 3 night do not get the same "credit".

People in the cl's.

That 700 number is incorrect. (not that it matters)

Cruise for the pleasure of cruising, not for the points. I think that you'll be happier.

That 700 number is incorrect. (not that it matters)

I think the RCCL rep mixed up the 700 credits needed to be Pinnacle with the number of Pinnacle members..:p

I think the RCCL rep mixed up the 700 credits needed to be Pinnacle with the number of Pinnacle members..:p

That would make sense. I have no idea how many pinnacle members there are but at 700 pts. to qualify the 700 number does seem high to me. Can't imagine the are more than a handful of people - comparitively speaking - in that group.

Accumulating points should not be the main focus of cruising. I know that some people take a cruise just to get points, but for me, that is not the reason we go.

I go on a particular cruise line for the itinerary, so in recent cruises, we have switched from RCL in favor of HAL and Celebrity, as they offer superior itineraries in the Caribbean.

But for the 2013 season, RCL is offering better itineraries on the Vision OTS, so we are back to RCL - at least for the short term.

I have to tell you though, that after going to HAL and Celebrity, we had a lot of positive experiences, and there is a lot to like on those cruise lines that makes it an easy decision in the future to chose the cruise line for the itinerary rather than a few loyalty points.

Edited by awboater

Just one person's opinion....the C & A Program is a perk. It is not a right, it does not bestow sainthood on anyone. Should RCI choose to alter the program that is their right.

When you step on the ship, you do not have the right to steer the ship, pick the itinerary, etc. You have merely been extended a few "extras".

Should the day come that those extras need to be "adjusted", decreased, increased that is the right of the company....

You decide if it is that critical to your spending decision and act accordingly....It is a perk, not a right.

however its annoying to see that someone who doesnt need to spend money on airfare gets a huge discount on cruising and gets double points at the same time). (caribbean)

Why would a cruiseline care if you have to fly and factor that into your points? If you fly make sure you are member of FF club, you will eventually get a free flight.

Using your logic, people who live in Florida, and go on a cruise should get additional points from the cruiseline because we can't get FF miles on an airlilne.

• 3 years later...

Move to Fla.

My new online TA told me we are not eligible to get our balcony discount perk if we book through them, as we would lose our OBC because it would "basically" be double-dipping? True or false? I just booked B2B for late 2016 but no balcony discount on either leg??

People in the cl's.

First of all it's not "a lot", secondly have cruised 6 times so far this year and the Concierge lounge has been almost empty all six cruises. This system has been in place for awhile now, so actually it's OLD not new......As far as the loyalty program, it's the best in the business IMHO.....:rolleyes:

It took me just 2 years to reach Diamond from Gold via double points. But at a cost as I always sail solo so paying double fare every time.

But I didn't cruise for the sake of earning points, I choose the IT's well and enjoyed the last 2 years visiting several places all over the world I otherwise wouldn't have had I not cruised.

Cruising itself is addicting and getting the C&A perks is just secondary... but the value added is enough to prevent you from jumping to other lines all things equal and continue to give Royal business.

My new online TA told me we are not eligible to get our balcony discount perk if we book through them, as we would lose our OBC because it would "basically" be double-dipping? True or false? I just booked B2B for late 2016 but no balcony discount on either leg??

This is not true. We use a agent and we get both the balcony discount from RCI and if using a future cruise certificate, we get that onboard credit. Plus they always give us a onboard credit. I think you need to find a new travel agent!!

What are they going to do when everyone becomes Diamond Plus and Pinnacle with these perks they seem to always have?

They've already started on the new ships. Diamond Plus members are no longer allowed to use the Concierge Lounges, which are reserved for Suites and Pinnacles. We been demoted back to the Diamond Lounge. It is my understanding that this practice will be moving to all ships.

We took a number of 12 to 14 night cruises in the days when you only got 1 C&A point regardless of the length of the cruise. I figure we'd have at least 50 or more additional points if we would have gotten 2 points per cruise. It is what it is.

What are they going to do when everyone becomes Diamond Plus and Pinnacle with these perks they seem to always have?

They've already started on the new ships. Diamond Plus members are no longer allowed to use the Concierge Lounges, which are reserved for Suites and Pinnacles. We been demoted back to the Diamond Lounge. It is my understanding that this practice will be moving to all ships.

Diamond Plus are still allowed in the concierge lounge on ships that have them. They just do not have access to the suite lounge. The only ships that currently have a suite lounge instead of concierge lounge are Oasis class.

This is an old thread... And for the record, Florida residents never received extra C&A points for being from Florida and cruising... We might get last minute deals but we have the same point system as everyone else. We just have an opportunity to cruise more since we live next to 4-5 ports to choose from. It is an easy vacation to hop in the car and drive to a port to board a ship.....