Travel Agency or Book Myself?

Although I'm not a cruise rookie, I'm interested in hearing from people who have booked cruises through travel agencies as if its any better than booking on your own. All of the cruises I have taken have been booked independently. I've never had any problems and enjoy the freedom of booking on my own. I'm looking into taking a European cruise and I see that an online travel agency is offering waiving the deposit fee and providing a designated amount for onboard credit if you book through them. Booking independently doesn't offer this same deal.

I haven't heard much about this agency but the google reviews are all horrible. People saying that the agency provided them with false information and any deal that was advertised to customers was not documented on the customers file. I also know people personally who have booked through agencies before and had problems. On the flip side, saving some money is great option but should I book through a travel agency (particularly for a Europe cruise) or is it safer/more reliable to book on my own?

Thanks!

If the agency has terrible reviews, stay away. In 2008, we booked a cruise with an online TA that was running a great promotion, and paid by credit card. Unfortunately, the company went out of business with no warning. Because I paid by cc (charge showed up from Carnival), I was able to switch my original reservation to a Carnival PVP. Everyone who paid by cash or check lost their money and didn't get their cruise. I will only book with my PVP or on the cruise line's website now.

If you find a reputable agency that offers perks then it is a better deal than booking through the cruise line

If you find an agency that offers good deals but has very bad reviews then not a good deal

What was the question again :rolleyes:

I like booking on my own. I like being able to pick up the 1-800 number and be able to talk to someone 24/7.

I also like doing all of the research myself. A TA may be able to recommend something, but maybe it is not for you and you wind up hating the ship, ports..etc.

I like reading the reviews and tend to go with regular lay people...and their opinions.:o

Doing the research is half the fun..:):):)

There are a lot of good TA'S out there, but there are also a lot of bad ones.

W have been fortunate to have had the same TA for over 24 years -- works for a large agency.

But should something happen and she retires -- then we will go with the Cruise Line to book cruises.

I have read too many horror stories here about a few online agencies.

A good travel agent is great and will provide not only help but also often a bonus in the form of a discount, excursion, or ship board credit, for instance. However, a bad travel agent is worst than having none at all. I agree that you should go with recommendations, and avoid places with bad reviews or experiences. Talk with everyone you know to see if they can recommend a TA that does well with cruises. Another idea I've heard on these boards is to ask fellow cruisers, when on board, if they were happy with their TA and make note of their names for future use.

We have always used a T/A. We booked our first couple of cruises with a T/A that was a dud and I ended up speaking with a gentleman who does a lot of cruising about who he used. We now have booked some 20 cruises with his T/A and are working on 2 more. A good T/A that does a lot of cruise bookings will often have "group pricing or packages" which provide lower pricing or enhanced OBC's or other perks. A T/A will be there for you when issues arrive with the cruise line and knows how to cut through their corporate baffle-gaff. But to me the most important thing is that I am dealing with a person who has a name, knows me, and is not a faceless cruise line employee in a call center who knows little and whose loyalty is with their employer.

For our upcoming cruise we are using a Travel Agent for the first time. Have to say I've been disappointed. I'm travelling with a group of friends, and while I've cruised quite a bit, some of my friends are new to cruising.

I picked the travel agent after researching different firms, thinking that our group would be able to get a discount and that some members would like to have a "full service" experience.

Some of her advice has been inaccurate, or very different from what I would advise so it has been difficult. She doesn't seem to have worked hard to get us good pricing, and I've had to do a lot of the research myself to get information.

In the future, unless we find another travel agent who really seems proactive and who knows their stuff, we'll go back to making our own bookings.

^^^ That's very insightful! That's what i'm kind of afraid of...paying someone to do something that I could probably do myself. The only advantage would be if there is a discount but even so, if it comes with the cost of headaches and me having to do more work than anticipated, then i may as well book it myself.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful and very helpful feedback!!

Archived