Fish and Chips.... ?

sail7seas

I'ved heard (and read) that there is wonderful fish & chips to be had in some of the local pubs (not the tourist traps) in Victoria, so we plan to indulge in fish & chips on that stop (good excuse to skip the flaming baked alaska parade in the MDR!)

I also hear there is good halibut in ketchikan - but that may depend on the month?

In Victoria, the locals go here ;) http://www.redfish-bluefish.com/. It is right on the dock and the quality of fish is wonderful. We ride our bikes down and have supper there frequently in the summer. Hope you try it. :p

Will you be my new BFF ? :D :D

I'm not so great at research. :o

Of course ... new friends are always nice and I love to do research too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32767392#post32767392

This is our roll call for next year. I have added all kinds of links to it and misc information about our cruise to Alaska. Things like walking trip maps for the ports, weather links, port info, books, etc. Hope this will help.

Looking at the schedule - the Oosterdam is scheduled to be at dock 1 -- Salmon Landing -- near the Lumberjack Show -- and right in town.

That is, indeed, exactly where we were docked last week. Our port side verandah gave us a wonderful overview of the entire downtown. By the time we went ashore, we had the whole area mapped in our heads. It was a very nice stop.

Looking at the schedule - the Oosterdam is scheduled to be at dock 1 -- Salmon Landing -- near the Lumberjack Show -- and right in town.

That is, indeed, exactly where we were docked last week. Our port side verandah gave us a wonderful overview of the entire downtown. By the time we went ashore, we had the whole area mapped in our heads. It was a very nice stop.

Sounds wonderful. :)

Thanks.

Many have already said it but I must add my hearty endorsement. Don't just order Fish "n Chips without making sure the fish is fresh caught Alaskan Halibut! It makes all the difference in the world!

Halibut Fish 'n Chips in Alaska is akin to dying and going to heaven!

RonJoan

we originally heard about it from a post by our boards very own DBA.

We've since been back and it will be a firm staple whenever we go to AK in the future. It is a very short walk from the pier- actually it is on a pier. We were able to even enjoy a view of Amsterdam from our seat. Portions are large by our standards so next time we will get one large halibut and chips and share. 2 smalls were more than we should or wanted to eat. The coleslaw is good too- it has a tiny bit of jalapena in it. (not even warm by my standards but it would be HOT by my Yankee family's standards. ;-)

They run fishing excursions from the place. I don't normally eat fried foods and have to say this was not oily.

~TC

Didn't know about Berth 4... and I looked up our scheduled visit, and that's where we'll be, so I googled it. Thought I'd share the "shuttle" information I discovered.

"Most visitors, however, see Ketchikan as a port of call, arriving and leaving on the same day via the cruise ships that ply Alaska's famous Inside Passage from early May through late September. The large cruise ships call at one of the four cruise ship berths; berths 1-3 are located in downtown Ketchikan, while berth 4 is further north at Newtown. If there are more than four ships visiting Ketchikan at the same time, the additional ships will anchor in the Ketchikan Creek and passengers will take a short tender trip to the downtown pier. A free Salmon Run Shuttle[4] operates a 20-minute downtown loop 7am-7pm serving all cruise ship berths. When a ship is docked in berth 4, an additional free Bear Shuttle operates a 10-minute waterfront loop serving all cruise ship berths. Several smaller harbors offer transient moorage to private vessels cruising the Inside Passage." -- source Wikipedia (from a teacher's perspective, trustworthy for non-critical research)

I, too, recall the shack along the pier in Ketchikan. Congrats on their upgrade, but I'm sure many cruisers will miss the convenience of the old location.

That sounds so good. I'm hungry now, too.

Can someone tell me about Smoked Salmon Chowder? How is it? We're, of course, used to New England clam chowder and I'm having a hard time picturing smoked salmon chowder. :eek: I see it is serve with corn bread...... that sure sounds good.

• 4 weeks later...
I almost never have fried foods but from all I've read here, I should try Fish and Chips once while in Alaska.

Where?

Do you have a favorite place, NEAR THE SHIP, in Ketchikan, Sitka or Juneau?

I'd only let myself have it once, so where should I have it? :)

Thanks.

Just back from Alaska. Fish & Chips are expensive [like $18.00 for 2 small pieces of halibut and the chips are frozen :(- not fresh chipped as they are in Vancouver. Prices are double in Alaska compared to Vancouver. The Lido offers decent Fish & Chips with a light batter and once again, frozen french fries. :)

The best Fish and Chips I have ever had anywhere in the world is in Ketchikan.

It is a small porch restaurant run by a husband and wife team right on the OLD Creek Street itself called Halibut Hut.

To get to it you go to Creek Street, cross the bridge and make an immediate right onto the porch of a bar. That porch is Halibut Hut!!

I found it accidentally while taking photos of the sea liomns (seals?? I can never tell which is which:( ) Anyway I checked out the menu and had the delicious Halibut Fish and chips with homemade EVERYTHING to include the Crab cakes (I did not have the Crab Cakes, buit talked with the owners about their food), French Fries, coleslaw and Tartar Sauce with a soda, total cost with 20% tip was $13.00. When I went to pay, I discovered they do not accept credit cards:eek: But they were believing of me when I told them I'd be back the following week on the ship and allowed me to leave without paying them (I did not have a penny with me as I do not take cash normally).

The following week I did go back and they were shocked!! But as I told them,when you find the best place in the world, you gots to make sure you can come back again and again:D

My mouth is watering now for their food!!!

Joanie

Just a warning about the Fish House in Ketchikan, they also serve Fish and Chips Cod and if you order the Fish and Chips Halibut which is a lot more money they will try to slip you the Cod instead thinking stupid tourist will not know the difference. Trust me my Halibut loving husband does, we saw immediately that the shape was different definitely not Halibut but they continued to try to tell us No it was Halibut. We later talk to others that the same thing happened to. So that left a rather sour taste in our mouth.

A few weeks ago we went to Annebelle's located at the far other end

326 Front St., Ketchikan, AK 99901

This time Tom ordered Halibut Fish and Chips and he was extremely impressed, he thought they were some of the best he ever had and a very large portion. It actually was the best lunc we have had in Ketchikan and that was our 9th time there :D I ordered a Crab Pasta Dish that was so good.

540673_3910057067154_106730700_n.jpg

Didn't know about Berth 4... and I looked up our scheduled visit, and that's where we'll be, so I googled it. Thought I'd share the "shuttle" information I discovered.

"Most visitors, however, see Ketchikan as a port of call, arriving and leaving on the same day via the cruise ships that ply Alaska's famous Inside Passage from early May through late September. The large cruise ships call at one of the four cruise ship berths; berths 1-3 are located in downtown Ketchikan, while berth 4 is further north at Newtown. If there are more than four ships visiting Ketchikan at the same time, the additional ships will anchor in the Ketchikan Creek and passengers will take a short tender trip to the downtown pier. A free Salmon Run Shuttle[4] operates a 20-minute downtown loop 7am-7pm serving all cruise ship berths. When a ship is docked in berth 4, an additional free Bear Shuttle operates a 10-minute waterfront loop serving all cruise ship berths. Several smaller harbors offer transient moorage to private vessels cruising the Inside Passage." -- source Wikipedia (from a teacher's perspective, trustworthy for non-critical research)

I, too, recall the shack along the pier in Ketchikan. Congrats on their upgrade, but I'm sure many cruisers will miss the convenience of the old location.

Here you go, this is from berth 4 in Ketchikan, we were there in May on the Zuiderdam and that was our berth. A long walk to town. I didn't see many shuttles but we were one of the first Hal ships in Ketchikan so maybe they didn't have their act together yet.

403519_10150980101677930_535615496_n.jpg

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS'][SIZE=3]Just a warning about the Fish House in Ketchikan, they also serve Fish and Chips Cod and if you order the Fish and Chips Halibut which is a lot more money they will try to slip you the Cod instead thinking stupid tourist will not know the difference. Trust me my Halibut loving husband does, we saw immediately that the shape was different definitely not Halibut but they continued to try to tell us No it was Halibut. We later talk to others that the same thing happened to. So that left a rather sour taste in our mouth.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]A few weeks ago we went to Annebelle's located at the far other end [/SIZE]
[URL="http://bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=8100&where1=326+Front+St.%2C+Ketchikan%2C+AK+99901&FORM=FBKPL0&name=Annabelle%27s&mkt=en-US"]326 Front St., Ketchikan, AK 99901[/URL]

[SIZE=3]This time Tom ordered Halibut Fish and Chips and he was extremely impressed, he thought they were some of the best he ever had and a very large portion. It actually was the best lunc we have had in Ketchikan and that was our 9th time there :D I ordered a Crab Pasta Dish that was so good.[/SIZE]

[IMG]http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/540673_3910057067154_106730700_n.jpg[/IMG][/quote]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][B]I'm heading back there Lisa when we come back in August, that Crab dish looks so good.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][B]Welcome home Solocanadian, did you have a good cruise?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='PathfinderEss'][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][B]I'm heading back there Lisa when we come back in August, that Crab dish looks so good.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][B]Welcome home Solocanadian, did you have a good cruise?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
[SIZE=3]I see a new ship in your count down clock Melodie, I take it Ron talked you into it ;)[/SIZE]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] I visit the various port forums but don't 'know' many of the folks there. I 'know' people here and recommendations from those you've hung out with for years somehow are more reassuring than from folks you are hearing from for the first time. Of course, they could be absolutely correct but I like the comfort zone here. :)[/B][/quote]

Amen!

[quote name='PathfinderEss'][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][B]I'm heading back there Lisa when we come back in August, that Crab dish looks so good.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][B]Welcome home Solocanadian, did you have a good cruise?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Had a blast thanks, Melodie & loved the Zaandam.:) Much prefer it to the Vista class ships. Keep you eyes peeled for my blog of the trip on the HAL message board. Out of curiosity, Did the park ranger ask smokers not to smoke on their balconies or designated smoking area on rear Lido deck while in Glacier Bay National Park? Thank God I quit. It's bad enough the State of Alaska charges a $25.00 head tax for each cruise ship passenger & now to tell them they can't smoke on their balcony that they paid hundreds of dollars for 9 damn hours.:mad:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='solocanadian'][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Out of curiosity, Did the park ranger ask smokers not to smoke on their balconies or designated smoking area on rear Lido deck while in Glacier Bay National Park? [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]It's a good bet that they did. It's been standard operating procedure there for years. It has to do with the pristine nature of the park, and keeping it that way. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]It's the same story in Antarctica. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]It's a good bet that they did. It's been standard operating procedure there for years. It has to do with the pristine nature of the park, and keeping it that way. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]It's the same story in Antarctica. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

No such announcement was made last July on the Zuiderdam.

[quote name='solocanadian'][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B]Had a blast thanks, Melodie & loved the Zaandam.:) Much prefer it to the Vista class ships. Keep you eyes peeled for my blog of the trip on the HAL message board. Out of curiosity, Did the park ranger ask smokers not to smoke on their balconies or designated smoking area on rear Lido deck while in Glacier Bay National Park? Thank God I quit. It's bad enough the State of Alaska charges a $25.00 head tax for each cruise ship passenger & now to tell them they can't smoke on their balcony that they paid hundreds of dollars for 9 damn hours.:mad:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][B]Wow I didn't hear that on our cruise. Glad you had a good time and I can't wait to read your blog. [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='DizzyDallasDi']No such announcement was made last July on the Zuiderdam.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Then it's a good thing I wasn't putting any bets down on your cruise. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived