Then...and Now

JulesBee

This might be too personal a post, especially from a newbie, but it's been on my mind. I'm mostly posting it to get it out of my head, so bear with me because it's extremely cheesy/sappy.

Then and Now.

Then - Christmas 1993

Now - June 10, 2012

Then - I was barely 17 and someone else's 'kid'

Now - I'm in my 30s and am taking my own kid

Then - Sailed on the Westerdam to the Caribbean

Now - Sailing on the Oosterdam to Alaska

Then - This was a cruise to help us forget Christmas. My big sister died earlier that year and we couldn't stand the thought of celebrating at home without her. Too many traditions that couldn't be fathomed without her.

Now - Fulfilling my dream to see Alaska and sharing it with my daughter, who is named after my sis.

Then - Met new people; had great experiences

Now - Already met new people on CC and have already had great experiences.

Then - My dad took care of all the details. I was just along for the ride

Now - It's all up to me. A little intimidating...but enormously satisfying

Then - Disembarked with a new love of the ocean and with fresh hope.

Now - Can't wait to continue that love affair of the open sea on a HAL ship, and share it with my daughter.

Then - That cruise in 1993 was my only one, but because of the events of that previous year it became something to me that was desperately needed. I loved it and have been trying to get back on a ship ever since.

Now - We leave to drive to Seattle in 23 days and I plan on savoring every second of this anticipation.

So with all the concern with what to wear and how to act, working toilets and A/C issues...I'm just so thankful that I'm able to experience a little bit of life on the water again, and to feed that flame that started back in 1993.

It's been a long road, but I'm almost back! :D

:o For putting things in what I consider proper perspective. How easy it is to forget in all the daily chaos what is truly important. Please enjoy your time with your family and Alaska. And thanks for the reminder......

So with all the concern with what to wear and how to act, working toilets and A/C issues...I'm just so thankful that I'm able to experience a little bit of life on the water again, and to feed that flame that started back in 1993.

It's been a long road, but I'm almost back! :D

Very nicely said :):)

AWESOME post. Amazing.

More people should post things like this instead of constantly focusing on the negative.

Kudos to you, and may you guys have an awesome time! Sounds like whatever happens, you'll take it in stride, good or bad! That's definitely the best attitude to have.

Jules ... great post. Know you will be creating amazing memories with your daughter.

We have been on 10 cruises. The one of our most memorable was with my sister, her husband, and 3 year old son. It was their 25th wedding anniversary and our 19th the week of the cruise. We had such a wonderful time, took so many photos. My sister passed away 3 years later. We still talk about our wonderful vacation and family time together. So glad we got to spend the time with them.

I had a half dozen cruises under my belt, then life happened, and I didn't get back on a ship for 17 years, but you know what? It was everything I remembered and hoped it would be and then some. My circumstances were different from yours, but I was also doing a special cruise with a special person who had never cruised before on a brand new ship (Amsterdam), and to this day, it remains one of my favorite cruising memories.

I wish you and your daughter a wonderful trip to Alaska.

JulesBee- You've had a LOT to come to terms with over the last 20 years, I can HOPE that your NEW cruise will live up to your expectations but also that you will Dream YOUR very own DREAM! Have a WONDERFUL cruise. And help your daughter to begin HER "Memory Book"......Good luck!!!!!!!

Best wishes for your cruise with your daughter. I have taken my DD on 3 cruises with me and once we even had her 26 year old daughter and we all had a great time.

So enjoy and keep these memories.

Helen

Then and Now: My first cruise was somewhat under duress. My mother wanted to go, to be with her nieces and nephews, kind of a family reunion cruise. I wasn't interested in cruising AT ALL. My husband less so. (He a former Navy Corpsman). Then my Mom broke her hip and was not confident to be travelling somewhat alone. She so seldom asked for anything that I felt, "why not?" So we (husband and I) agreed to go along. BEST TRIP EVER!!!!! So much so that my husband was ready to get a next trip booking. Even with my Mom having a serious accident in Puerto Vallarta, we were blown away with how Princess helped us, how they supported my Mom and cared for her. The next year we took our family on a vacation (sons, daughters-in-law, granddaughter and Mom) to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Mom loved it! All of us loved it. The next year my Mom was no longer alive. My husband and I took a trip to the Eastern Caribbean and I had several little 1"x1" photos of her that I placed at various places we went. Tucked inside crevices of buildings, along sides of rocks at beaches, etc. Now, I realize that many of you will see this as littering, and maybe it was. But it was a way of remembering Mom and thanking her for getting us into cruising. She would so much have loved being on that cruise. I felt her presence everywhere.

Thanks all for your kind words! It was so great to see some of your stories and I really appreciate the encouraging messages!

We will definitely enjoy this cruise! I can't wait to see my dd's face when she experiences that beautiful ship for the first time. We know it won't be perfect, but whatever it is...it is. We are just SO excited!

what a wonderful post. It is so nice to read something real and heartfelt. I know you are on our cruise and hope to meet you there...its coming up soon!

Thanks monkeedee!

It really is coming up soon! So excited!

How fortunate your daughter is to have a parent setting that kind of an example of the attitude to view life.

Roy

Thanks Roy! I make LOTS of mistakes, and too bad for my daughter that she's an only child. I was the 3rd child so by the time I came around my parents had already experimented with my siblings. :D

We both learn together though. It's just so important to me that she learn to take joy out of life. I am very anxious to see what she thinks of everything! :)

Archived