Never again Aqua!

bonniegibson

How is it possible if they continue to build the same ships?

The last two are even more sedating, less flexible, slower pace environment.

Their recipe now is more extra charge features, more expensive suites. I just wonder what kind of demografic this is for.

Cruisetrail - When we first cruised Celebrity it was more expensive than other mass market cruise lines, but provided a better product. So its target demographic then was passengers who were willing to pay more for a better product while at a much lower cost than luxury cruise lines. Now their basic cruise fares, with the exception of suites, is very comparable to other mass market cruise lines and frequently less. Consequently, Celebrity now attracts a lot of people who are booking a Celebrity cruise based on price and Celebrity makes up the difference by having more a la carte options. In addition, by having less activities than they did at one time, its passengers are likely to spend more on booze and gambling.

A few years ago when Celebrity changed its target demographic and tried to be all things to all people, I thought they were making a mistake. However, after reading this thread it appears that they knew what they were doing because with this strategy it appears that they gained more passengers than they lost. The only segment of the market they lost are those are who willing to pay higher cruise fares for a better overall cruise experience, without booking a suite.

We are trying AQ for our next cruise, and I think we are a perfect example of cruisers that are willing to pay a higher cruise fare for a better overall cruise experience. We usually book two 2B balcony cabins for our family of 4. Our only real complaint about our Equinox cruise last summer was the food and noise in the MDR. We've always said we'd pay a little more for better food. The price difference between 2B and A2 on our upcoming cruise is about $38 per person per day. We decided to put our money where are mouths are and pay extra to see if we have a better experience.

We are trying AQ for our next cruise, and I think we are a perfect example of cruisers that are willing to pay a higher cruise fare for a better overall cruise experience. We usually book two 2B balcony cabins for our family of 4. Our only real complaint about our Equinox cruise last summer was the food and noise in the MDR. We've always said we'd pay a little more for better food. The price difference between 2B and A2 on our upcoming cruise is about $38 per person per day. We decided to put our money where are mouths are and pay extra to see if we have a better experience.

In my opinion this is a perfect example of... what one should never do on Celebrity.

For $38 pp you can dine in extra charge restaurants (this is where mouths are on Celebrity) that are way better (Murano) than Blu.

Skip "perks", save your $38x7x4=$1064 and have total flexibility for "better cruise experience".

In my opinion this is a perfect example of... what one should never do on Celebrity.

For $38 pp you can dine in extra charge restaurants (this is where mouths are on Celebrity) that are way better (Murano) than Blu.

Skip "perks", save your $38x7x4=$1064 and have total flexibility for "better cruise experience".

It's not like we haven't done that mental calculation. On our last cruise we ate in Tuscan Grille twice and Murano once. (Silk Harvest did not appeal to us.) The specialty dining experience is nice, but it's sort of high fat/calorie and a large commitment of time. We are experimenting with Blu in the hopes that it will provide a better overall experience for breakfast and dinner. Then in the future we can make an informed decision about how much it's worth to us.

The cabins on 9 on the M-class ships have been problematic from the very beginning. As 1A's on an upper deck they were supposed to generate more demand and thus more money. But the overhang came into play and demand, while good, was not great. They then were changed to CC with some added perks with the hope that demand would rise. And it did, but not so much for the deck 9 CC cabins. Now we see them as Aqua class cabins with a few additional perks beyond CC and their own "specialty" type dining area. Time will tell just how good this move plays out.

I agree.. those deck 9 cabins have been a problem from the start on the M class. I was on Millie's second week out and got "upgraded" to deck 9.:eek:New ship, I had no idea what I was in for. Between the noise and the over hang :eek: they should just discount those cabins and give up on trying to make them desirable.

I agree.. those deck 9 cabins have been a problem from the start on the M class. I was on Millie's second week out and got "upgraded" to deck 9.:eek:New ship, I had no idea what I was in for. Between the noise and the over hang :eek: they should just discount those cabins and give up on trying to make them desirable.

We have recently booked our first Celebrity cruise (we usually cruise on Oceania). We're in Aqua class, cabin 9058. Is this a mistake? If the cabin is noisy and the balcony is cramped, it isn't too late to switch. Please advise! We booked Aqua class because we heard the food was good, but good food isn't worth a noisy room.

There is a lot of talk about the Deck 9 cabins on the M class ships but not much about the Aqua Class on Deck 11. From the pictures they have very open balconies and a little used deck above. I am hoping that will cut down on the noise issue, although I sleep with earplugs anyway due to a husband who swears he doesn't snore :rolleyes:

There is a lot of talk about the Deck 9 cabins on the M class ships but not much about the Aqua Class on Deck 11. From the pictures they have very open balconies and a little used deck above. I am hoping that will cut down on the noise issue, although I sleep with earplugs anyway due to a husband who swears he doesn't snore :rolleyes:

We just got back from Summit AQ in room 1106 and had NO noise from above because basically there is nothing above us. Because the cabins on deck 11 are pretty much secluded there is almost no noise from the hallway either. Like you said our balcony was small with a small overhang above which was fine with me. I'm not sure if the very aft deck 11 cabins would be as quiet because you would get some noise from the Sunset bar below.

Gail

We're on deck 9 on the Summit (cabin 9058) in the fall. We're having second thoughts now. We were looking forward to the cruise but not to sleepless nights. It's a dilemma!

pier - based on my experience in a cabin close to where yours is located, I would recommend changing your cabin. The only advantage is that the overhang blocks the sun so you don't have to worry about getting a sunburn on your balcony :)

The best cabins on M class ships, with the exception of suites, are the ones that face the rear of the ship. They have huge balconies!

Thanks! I don't know where I have been....I didn't know this was coming! I guess I don't think about the Fun Factory much or its location! I am shocked! :eek: Wonder how packed this lounge will get at big events like Captain's Club party and Happy Hours when lots of Elites are onboard?

If I remember right. The area that was lost in the lounge was the smoking side. Have they changed the room to non-smoking. It would be nice if the room was now non-smoking, being so much smaller. Richard

There's been talk about how many years ago the cruise prices were much higher than they are now, particularly when adjusted for inflation. Overall I agree with that statement, but having said that, on our cruise a couple months ago where we considered an advance booking for next spring I was seriously dismayed at how much higher the pricing was as compared to our cruise this spring, or in the past few years. We also considered an Alaska cruise, but those prices also were quite a bit higher than they have been recently. I know with the recession the prices were probably a bit lower than normal and some catch up is expected, but I would say on average prices were about a third more (again, this is on average, I am sure there may be an exception or two). I know Europe is cheaper now (I would guess the outrageous airfares contribute to that), but wow - couldn't believe the prices for Alaska or the Caribbean.

When one adds airfare, yikes!! An open jaw this summer between Chicago, Anchorage, and Vancouver ran over $1000 dollars before baggage charges on United, our airline of choice. Add that to several thousand dollars per couple for the cabin, and possibly some of the very high priced excursions in Alaska and that cruise could easily cost a couple $7,000+ for a balcony or CC cabin. I don't know about you, but with one of us out of work thanks to the recession (and dim job prospects at the age of 60) what was once a possibility is now out of the equation. And even though Europe cruises are priced attractively, when one adds airfare with baggage costs, and shore excursions and/or transportation, the total price is also very high. And that price is of course not even considering adding in some of the extras like Specialty restaurants and the like.

Am I the only one seeing these trends?? I love Celebrity and have cruised them 20 times, but am at the point now of seriously considering other cruiselines based on what I am seeing.

We just got back from Summit AQ in room 1106 and had NO noise from above because basically there is nothing above us. Because the cabins on deck 11 are pretty much secluded there is almost no noise from the hallway either. Like you said our balcony was small with a small overhang above which was fine with me. I'm not sure if the very aft deck 11 cabins would be as quiet because you would get some noise from the Sunset bar below.

Gail

Thanks for the info. Switched to 1108 as 1106 wasn't available for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Infinity.

As passengers who previously loved the M-class ships, we have not been on them post solsticization. Now we are almost afraid to try, wondering how the addition of all those new cabins has impacted the space/passenger ratio, such as the crowding in the buffet areas and seat availability in the theater.

We already heard that they partially ruined the wonderful panoramic views from the sky lounge at the front of deck 11 by blocking off one side.

I shudder at the thought of even more people now packed together jostling for space at the railings on the public decks and helipad for scenic viewing at special attractions.

Guess that provides one more reason to have a private balcony.

I thought the ship didn't have anyone on it. It was full but the lounges were never busy (though I have heard that the Martini Bar did get crowded at times) and we never had a problem with the buffet except for the disembarktion morning. We never had a problem finding a seat in the theater and there seemed to be some emptry seats every evening. I never felt like I was fighting the crowds like I have on RCCL ships. Only spot that we every found swamped was the Sunset Bar. No we don't smoke anymore and we didn't care where we sat, but it was sometimes hard to find a chair, it was so busy. Not just people enjoying a drink but with diners as well.

You should check out my pictures http://travel.webshots.com/album/582795168AHjWuH and you will see how crowded the ship wasn't. ;) :D

Someone had commented that it is nice to have tables for two close together, so you can talk to people at adjacent tables. While I love sharing tables with other passengers in select dining, I would be very reluctant to start a conversation with someone at an adjacent table for two. That is because I feel that people who dine at a table for two prefer to just talk to themselves while dining.

pier - based on my experience in a cabin close to where yours is located, I would recommend changing your cabin. The only advantage is that the overhang blocks the sun so you don't have to worry about getting a sunburn on your balcony :)

The best cabins on M class ships, with the exception of suites, are the ones that face the rear of the ship. They have huge balconies!

I just called Celebrity and put a hold on a different cabin (my TA has to change the reservation). I believe you saved the cruise for us. Thank you for your help!

We are sailing on the Summit in Nov. - room 9089. This is our first Celebrity cruise. Having second thoughts about the room after reading these posts- any advice? Aslo-my husband and I are traveling alone- which dining room is best for two top?- and not the speciality dining. Thanks.

We are sailing on the Summit in Nov. - room 9089. This is our first Celebrity cruise. Having second thoughts about the room after reading these posts- any advice? Aslo-my husband and I are traveling alone- which dining room is best for two top?- and not the speciality dining. Thanks.

There is only 1 dining room..the main dining room for all cabins except

Aqua Class....those cabins have Blu as their restaurant.

So when you ask which dining room is best for a deuce? Without

paying for a Specialty Restaurant, you have the Main dining room

or Blu...if you are in Aqua Class.

We have been on deck 9 twice. 9043 (Infinity) and 9150 (Summit) Never heard anything from up above!! 9043 is now Aqua class it is right below the spa reception area, so really very quiet. 9150 is aft right below the buffet area and really we did not hear a thing. biggest complaint from this cabin is that its connecting next door and our neighbors had lights on ALL night:eek:, but we just put a towel down and that solved it!

I would book either of these again - especially 9043, it has an extra large, slanted balcony - LOVED the extra room!:) As far as the overhang thing. Did not bother either of us. I tend to look either down or straight out. After a while I did not even notice it.

I did do lots of research before booking.

Melody:D

Infinity has taken the worst balcony cabins and added two perks and charge more.

Our cabin on deck 9 was terrible.Constant noise day and night above us.It sounded like a herd of cattle at times and scraping chairs other times.

The two perks were the Persian Gardens which was always packed and Blu which was a very squished tiny restaurant.No private area.Your table is 12 inches from another table.The food presentation was nice but was not worth the inconvenience of never knowing who was going to be sitting so very close.Usually very nice cruisers but sometimes not so nice cruisers.Too chancy for me.Prefer more space for an enjoyable dinning experience.

I would not choose Aqua even if it was cheaper than a regular balcony.

The movie theatre has also been changed into more cabins.Crowded ship now.

This is only my perspective.

Will have to choose our next cruise carefully.Not the Infinity.

Disagree we give up booking suites now to book aqua food is amazing and quiet dining room

We have been on deck 9 twice. 9043 (Infinity) and 9150 (Summit) Never heard anything from up above!! 9043 is now Aqua class it is right below the spa reception area, so really very quiet. 9150 is aft right below the buffet area and really we did not hear a thing. biggest complaint from this cabin is that its connecting next door and our neighbors had lights on ALL night:eek:, but we just put a towel down and that solved it!

I would book either of these again - especially 9043, it has an extra large, slanted balcony - LOVED the extra room!:) As far as the overhang thing. Did not bother either of us. I tend to look either down or straight out. After a while I did not even notice it.

I did do lots of research before booking.

Melody:D

Thank you Melody. You made my day. We have 9043 booked on Millennium.

Lois R- I understand about the dining- my question to you is- do you think it is better to book an aqua stateroom for Blu or a regular room for the MDR. What is more romantic or better chances of getting a 2 top. I am currently booked in an aqua class room- but after reading some reviews I am not sure. My room is on the 9th floor- I think below the pool area. We are not picky- but since this a cruise without the kids and our 1st on celebrity- I dont think we want to make small talk with others.- What do you/ or anyone else think? Thanks- Julie

Lois R- I understand about the dining- my question to you is- do you think it is better to book an aqua stateroom for Blu or a regular room for the MDR. What is more romantic or better chances of getting a 2 top. I am currently booked in an aqua class room- but after reading some reviews I am not sure. My room is on the 9th floor- I think below the pool area. We are not picky- but since this a cruise without the kids and our 1st on celebrity- I dont think we want to make small talk with others.- What do you/ or anyone else think? Thanks- Julie

We cruise often and aqua is amazing!

Archived