What a rude customer service department!!!

I am getting ready for an Alaskan cruise that I have saved up for.

I am going directly thru HAL, and don't have a TA.

I have called a few times, nothing excessive, to get clarification on different issues.

EACH time, I am treated rudely. There is no attempt to make me feel that I am a valued customer. There really was no pleasantness to the CS person's voices.

Today, when I asked for the person's name...since they didn't offer it to me, I was hung up on!!

I am sure HAL does a huge booming business with it's Alaska product, but they need to firm up some CS skills, or people like me, will post my displeasure with the company online.

I hope things onboard are handled a bit more professionally...

Totally agree with you. It's amazing as the ship experience is the total opposite. It couldn't be any better. Many of the folks who work in Seattle really need to experience the way customer service operates on the ships.

I researched online for quite a few weeks and eventually I decided to download a brochure and it asked for my name and address and I gave it to them. Not thinking at the moment, I didn't realize that the next day I was to get a call -- which I HATE telemarketers.

The HAL rep called me at least 2 or 3 times a week for a month or so (I didn't answer but let it go to voicemail). Mostly just introducing themselves and they also sent a couple of signed letters.

One day I decided to answer the phone because I just happened to viewing the site and I had some questions. I asked tons of questions and because of how professional and courteous the rep was, I booked right then and there. So, I guess persistence paid off.

When you call in to ask questions you get any old yahoo, since they work on commission, if they can't convert you to theirs (by getting your name and phone number) then by all means you are just wasting their time. It's a business after all and when one works on commission there time is valuable. It's not the social service hotline.

So, if you haven't given your name and been assigned a Personal Cruise Consultant then you should. I'd suggest filling it out online or just call and ask for one? Maybe ask for someone that is experienced in the types of things you're looking for.

I believe you are mistaken that HAL's General Telephone Sales people are working on commission.. I believe you may not realize it but you have been dealing with a PCC who does work on Commission..

Sorry, I have to disagree with the portion that I bolded ... you don't get any old yahoo (huh?) when you phone HAL, you are connected with a reservations/customer service person, and there are many of them, but I never have spoken with a yahoo. Well, and they don't work on commission either.

I believe you are correct..!

Betty

Don't try emailing them, as you will just get stock standard answers.

Holland America don't place much emphasis on providing good customer relations.

What they don't realise is that this reflects badly on their companies reputation and doesn't ensure customers will want to book with them again.

I completely disagree with you! After 13 HAL cruises I've never had a problem with their customer service..IMO you are just so dissappointed that HAL cancelled your cruise seven months out that you will do anything you can to poison others into thinking HAL does not care!

Shame on you too!:mad::mad:

Betty

I completely disagree with you! After 13 HAL cruises I've never had a problem with their customer service..IMO you are just so dissappointed that HAL cancelled your cruise seven months out that you will do anything you can to poison others into thinking HAL does not care!

Betty

I have to a agree with you Betty. I've read that poster's thread and it appears the only way HAL can satisify her is to cancel the drydock and proceed with the cruise she booked. Sorry, things happen. I know it's disappointing, but get over it already.

I don't know the cause of the problem but I have spoken to a couple of people and they do not even know the difference between the Ryndam and the Noordam.

Even a supervisor was talking about SY Superior Suites on the Ryndam and that they had access to Neptune Lounge :(

I pointed out that the Ryndam did not have SY category and even if they did they would not have access to the Concierge Lounge. She argued with me for several minutes until I finally persuaded here that she was incorrect. I said ok, book me an SY Superior Suite and confirm in writing that I can use the Neptune Lounge ;)

This situation is not new, it has been like this for years.

And did she confirm?

I've had to call HAL a couple of times for things related to my cruise next week (yippee!!!) and have always been treated respectfully. Only once was the HAL agent a bit abrupt, telling me I had to deal with my travel agent for one particular issue.

I have to agree! My experience with HAL has been great! Only 1 time (yesterday) did I call and get a grumpy person with no personality! I told him that I'm sorry he was having a bad day and I said that I think I'll call back and talk to someone who is having a happier day so that he could take a moment for himself to maybe get a cocktail. :D He laughed. I hope I made his day! Kill 'em with kindness, I say! :)

I have to agree! My experience with HAL has been great! Only 1 time (yesterday) did I call and get a grumpy person with no personality! I told him that I'm sorry he was having a bad day and I said that I think I'll call back and talk to someone who is having a happier day so that he could take a moment for himself to maybe get a cocktail. :D He laughed. I hope I made his day! Kill 'em with kindness, I say! :)

And that is exactly what we should all do. Everyone of us have a bad day once in a while. We so often read about people complaining about how on the ship the Front Desk treated them rudely or the Concierge treated them rudely. How often does someone actually thank them for what they do. If you have one call or say one passenger after another that is coming up to you with a complaint just how would you start to react? (I am meaning all of us reading CC) I know that sometimes when we are upset it is hard to not show how upset we are but I have found kindness that is sugar coated sure goes a lot farther to solve a problem. ;)

Having had a great deal of interaction with concierges and listening while in the lounge, I can promise you many of us thank the concierges repeatedly and sincerely, when they have earned it. :) They are remarkably good, most of the time. There are, of course, the occasional exceptions.

But, yes. I definitely frequently thank our PCC and our Concierges and actually, in my eveyday life make a habit of thanking those who have assisted me in some way and I am willing to say for sure many of us here do the same.

It's been awhile since we had to call HAL Ship Services.

But when we did have a couple of questions or needed to order something -- we have never had a problem.

Our biggest problem was when we had several problems on a cruise and wrote a letter -- it was over 10 weeks before we got a reply.

We had a problem with our cruise on the New Amsterdam for a Carbrieon cruise last year and wrote to Holland America and received a answer within 2 days and a follow up 1 week later. I felt this was a very quick responce and was happy with the results:)

Betty

How would you feel if you were told by a staff member in Australia, that somebody might get back to.

Shame on you for your remarks.:mad::mad:

We do not have the luxury here of being able to ring the Seattle office on a toll free number.

And prehaps if staff members read a email fully and responded to it fully would be appreciated instead of copying and pasting a stock standard response into a email would be nice.

How would you feel if you were told by a staff member in Australia, that somebody might get back to.

Shame on you for your remarks.:mad::mad:

We do not have the luxury here of being able to ring the Seattle office on a toll free number.

And prehaps if staff members read a email fully and responded to it fully would be appreciated instead of copying and pasting a stock standard response into a email would be nice.

I agree that HAL's email communication may not always be on target ... I never thought of their replies to me as a copy and paste operation, more like emails assembled from a series of drop-down menus or a list of macros that might address the issue. Well, and the communications don't flow properly because they're assembled rather than composed.

[quote name='startwin']I've never had a bad experience when deal with HAL reps - other than getting different answers from three different people about the same thing:rolleyes: - but that's not to say that the OP didn't get someone unhelpful at the end of the phone. A couple of days ago I had to phone about incorrect charges to my final account and it was dealt with quickly, efficiently and pleasantly.[/quote]

Hi startwin,

May I ask, were you overcharged for something and you asked to be refunded?
If so, how long does it take for you to receive the refund?

[quote name='erewhon']Hi startwin,

If so, how long does it take for you to receive the refund?[quote]

They charged us for items from the mini-bar which we did not use (I was actually there when the steward came to check,and nothing missing), and also one other charge that did not belong to us. These were added after the final billing. I was online checking my credit card charges and reconciling my account. I called HAL right away, and they reversed the charges immediately. No problem. But it was a nuisance and wonder how many people get overcharged without knowing it.

[quote name='startwin'][quote name='erewhon']Hi startwin,

If so, how long does it take for you to receive the refund?[quote]

They charged us for items from the mini-bar which we did not use (I was actually there when the steward came to check,and nothing missing), and also one other charge that did not belong to us. These were added after the final billing. I was online checking my credit card charges and reconciling my account. I called HAL right away, and they reversed the charges immediately. No problem. But it was a nuisance and wonder how many people get overcharged without knowing it.[/quote]

Thank you for your reply.
You were very fortunate to have your account corrected immediately.

Interesting replies,

I appreciate the varying responses.
I do agree that if a person on this board posts honest issues that are not 100% positive, the responses can get a bit heated.
As a mature person who has been in the workforce for 30 plus years, I am well-aware that nothing is ever 100%-either positive or negative.
That is why I find such great information here. I appreciate reading troubles that others have had, which helps me in my travel plans.
I did not say that I had spoken to a PCC, I spoke only to a CS person(a few) when transferred to the CS department. I presume that a PCC would indeed be a bit more customer-friendly.

The questions that I asked were, for example:
Is the voltage onboard 110 (I thoroughly searched the HAL site and could not find that answer)?
When would I expect to get a room assigned (since I had booked a guarantee)?
I also asked about the specifics of a certain shore excursion, so that I could plan for some free time.

I did call back to speak to a supervisor, was put on hold for 3.5 minutes, and then got "disconnected". I fully intend to pursue this again, but I have not found the time yet.

I have worked in a CS capacity, as a representative, a supervisor, and a trainer so I understand the stress of dealing with "difficult clients".

Bottom line is that from the % of repsonses here that agree with my initial comments, HAL is lacking in it's shoreside CS operations.
After this sailing, I would not put HAL on the top of my list for cruise companies (tho I have yet to experience the onboard side). JMHO

I appreciate having this board to voice my opinion.

Yes but then disconnected! If it is true that HAL reads these boards I would think that there have been enough posts discussing the negatives re HAL's customer service dept. that they would look into it - I use a TA so have not experienced the problems that occur.

[B]Oh that we could always count on first rate customer service in all areas of our lives. Now that would be amazing !! :)

When you deal with personalties and humans, you have 'bad days' and some folks working at a job to which they may not be well suited. I would speculate there is a high turnover rate and reps come and go with varying amounts of training and experience.

[/B]

When you call customer service ... this can happen with any company and in any industry ... but your absolutely correct that it shouldn't happen ...

Even calling as a TA ... I've experienced both extremes ... but I've learned to *politely* disconnect with whomever I'd prefer not to speak to ... and just call back to get someone else ... usually better ;)

[quote name='chiapet']When you call customer service ... this can happen with any company and in any industry ... but your absolutely correct that it shouldn't happen ...

Even calling as a TA ... I've experienced both extremes ... but I've learned to *politely* disconnect with whomever I'd prefer not to speak to ... and just call back to get someone else ... usually better ;)[/quote]

[B] I just did that this week..... :D

I called a company wishing to purchase something.
I was not happy dealing with the person who answered my call. I politely said thank you, I'll think about it and call another time.
I called back immediately seeking to deal with a different rep....
Guess who answered the phone. !!!!
Groan........

[/B]

Archived