Passports needed to board ship?

No dumb questions here, kjmcruise!

In Alaska (and many other international ports as well), you don't need to have your passports for going ashore. Your room keycard is a photo ID card which is scanned for you to pass through security to re-board the ship. Your passports are normally collected by Regent when you first board, and returned the evening before you disembark.

-- Eric

Regarding passport collection on boarding and re-delivery prior to disembarkation... I have found this to be the usual practice. However on our March trans Atlantic cruise I was very surprised to be given my passport back at the check in and it was never held by the Regent staff. Bit strange but there you go!!

There is at least one Regent excursion on this trip where you pass into Canada and you must have your passport for that excursion. Otherwise, you don't need your passport on shore and it is best to keep it locked up in your suite safe.

For security purposes, there are more and more ports that require a "face to face" meeting with the authorities of that country. This generally means retriving your passport and going to the theater where your passport will be looked at. Generally the passport is returned to Regent. This varies around the world and is constantly changing. When we were in Alaska two years ago, we did the face to face meeting in the theater. Remember to keep at least one copy of your passport in a place where you can find it (preferably a color copy).

Alaska is part of the US, so if you are a US citizen, you don't need to take your passport unless your excursion is one that goes into Canada.

Unless things have changed, don't all 7 night Alaska cruises on Regent begin or end in Vancouver?

Yes, you have to have a passport to get OUT of Canada back to the US, but once you are on the ship, you don't have to carry your passport with you while in alaska. (presuming you are a US citizen).

Some feel that it's worth carrying a photocopy of your passport, while ashore, in case of emergency.

Why would a US citizen worry about carrying a passport ashore in Alaska in case of emergency?

Why would a US citizen worry about carrying a passport ashore in Alaska in case of emergency?

Some lines offer some excursions that go from Alaska into Canada and back again (Whites Pass railway in Skagway comes to mind). Should for whatever reason something happen in the YT where you need to be medivac'd a passport could ease things along.

Now I am concerned. I don't know which excursions we plan to take might take us into Canada, therefore requiring our passports. My guess is that a color copy is not valid. If Regent is in possession of our passports, do they make certain to return them to passengers for these excursions that go into Canada?

The excursion descriptions do not indicate whether they take us into Canada.

(we are US citizens)

In Alaska, Regent did not hold our passports. You will be told the specific requirements of your excursions on the ship, as they approach. The White Pass bus ride is the only excursion I know of that goes into Canada. The railway trip does, technically, but you don't get off the train so no passport needed.

Now I am concerned. I don't know which excursions we plan to take might take us into Canada, therefore requiring our passports. My guess is that a color copy is not valid. If Regent is in possession of our passports, do they make certain to return them to passengers for these excursions that go into Canada?

The excursion descriptions do not indicate whether they take us into Canada.

(we are US citizens)

Don't be concerned. Just listen and or read the info and ask the destination desk if you have any ??'s. Have fun. Stop worrying.

For the Alaska cruises, almost always the excursions are in the same country as the port, i.e., Juneau, Sitka, Ketchican are in the US and the excursions are in the US. When they used to stop in Prince Rupert, Canada, the excursions were in Canada. The only exception I recall is that trips on the White Pass and Yukon Railraod out of Skagway cross the border, some itineraries by a very short distance (those to the summit) and some by 10 miles or so. No border check nor passports were needed as of a few years ago.

Bottom line is that Regent certainly won't let you leave the ship on an excursion which requires a passport without ensuring you have yours. They hate it when they lose a passenger...so much paperwork!

Archived